• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: I'm searching for one...finally.

metal or plastic frame ?

Striker or Hammer ?

your price range puts you into a crap load of choices

Try the Sig P250. The prices have never been better on them at around $400, and you can buy X-Change kits from the factory for less than $300 w/ night sights and convert it from a full size to a sub-compact in about 5 minutes, in 5 different calibers, 3 different grip diameters,and 3 different barrel lengths.
I started out to do that, wound up with 3 complete guns cause I like them so much.
But. like oli said, your price range puts you into a crap load of choices.

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag with KNOXX SPEC-OPS Camo Stock
Saiga Legion 12 Gauge Semi-Automatic
Winchester Model 275 .22LR Magnum
Marlin Glenfield Model 60 .22LR
Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight
Mosin Nagant M91-30
H&R Topper Model 48

You jump from 22 to 12 gauge to Mosin (a lg. round) and you're worried about recoil!?

Forget 22 for SD. Though it can do the job there are MANY better platforms to start from. I'm in the 9mm is the minimum SD caliber club. It's affordable so, lots of practice and with decent ammo the ballistics prove out.

Go shoot 40 S&W (also cost effective) and there is a lot of good to say about 357 Sig.

There are plenty of good pistols out there in your price range. Rent a few. Tag along with buddies. I've gone tO ALL striker or DAO pistols. No wheel guns for me. Everything I shoot is in the same school. My shotguns are all semi as are my rifles (not a hunter).

Keep posting. Look at used LEO trade ins and buy two. That might be what I'd do eith $700 or so. Add a few bucks for mags and ammo and you have a car and house gun!!

Sig 250c is my current go-to 9. Long smooth trigger. A Glock 17 / 19 might come home some day but the Sig is well built and a solid shooter. Hard to beat a new Sig for the price of a used Glock - hate to say.

Re: need advice

We had a couple threads goin on simultaneously that were essentially asking the same questions about choices in carry handguns and caliber, so I merged them into oli's "need advice" thread.

oli700 said:
Anyone looking for help in a decision on a firearm purchase should use this thread as a resource…..a resource of opinions based on experience. If you are on the other end giving the advice please try to base it on either personal experience or experience of a trusted source close to you, not saying all opinions aren’t welcome just try to make it intelligent with a little back up. This isn’t a “what would you buy” or “what should I buy” or purchase justification thread….use it as I did and you will be educated and make an educated purchase.

I am going to leave this thread right here for the next person...go on , give it a try

It's cool..even the mods need modding sometimes..lol....well.maybe just me. Ha!
Rossignols gonna be all over me on this one. Heh heh heh......jk buddy.

No worries brother.

I just thought oli had a good idea and it makes sense to keep all the advice in one place.

You figure out what pistol you want yet? My problem is that I always seem to know EXACTLY what I want... :D

Well....I'm leaning towards the 1911 9mm. I haven't checked yet on them. Just reading stuff here on the forums topics. But it'd be interesting to check out a Mossberg 1911. When I get home I'll check in on it.....

cool, I was hoping this would end up in the advice thread.

Rip, do you have any features you want or are you wide open ?

Frame ?
Capacity
Hammer and firing pin or striker fire ?
decocker vs manual safety vs no safety.
Do you want it to copy the 92fs, be similar or nothing like it ?
Aftermarket support ?

As far as ammo

Cost vs. how much you shoot
Common vs. rare or uncommon
Size and power vs. capacity
.22 lr conversion available for economy practice ?

I could throw about 20 pistols out there worth owning if you don’t narrow it down some.

ripjack13 said:
Well....I'm leaning towards the 1911 9mm. I haven't checked yet on them.

I've been researching 9mm 1911s for the past few months. Almost every 1911 manufacturer is making 9mm in their line now. In the price range you threw out I'd look at Springfield Armory, the STI Spartan, or Rock Island Armory. RIA will be the least expensive of the bunch. They offer a couple outstanding 9mm models for under $500. I'm sure there are a few others out there, but that'll give you a good start. I can't wait to get my paws on mine...

I'm open. But I have decided on 9mm. Probably No 22 conversion. I'll probaly end up buying one later on anyhow. I do like the springfeild and RIA. That gets the price down for other stuff. I want a safety. But whats better? Decocker or manual safety? I need to look at that option.....
Metal frame. I'd like some heft to it.....

Ok , 9mm, metal frame and open to everything else.
It sounds like the CZ is still in the running. I can now personally recommend the CZ’s. They are all based off of the 75 so you get that benefit in all the variants

75 compact manual safety
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... oat+Finish

75 BD full size decocker…around the size of a Browning High Power
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... ecocker+16

75 P-01.. a compact version of mine. This is the pistol that made me buy mine
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... C+15+round

75 B..the og. Manual safety, can be carried “cocked and locked” seem to be out online everywhere but I have seen a couple in local GS here I could give you contact info.
http://www.damascusgunshop.com/shop/pis ... rod_5.html

The 85 b and 85 combat. Same as the 75 but ambidextrous. The B is manual safety and the combat is decocker, has adjustable sights and trigger travel. Seem hard to find but I didn’t look to hard.
http://www.damascusgunshop.com/shop/pis ... at_12.html

SP-01, manual safety. The tactical comes with decocker and night sights….damn near imposable to find. You know about this gun by now and in the end mine cost 640. When they are in circulation again you can probably get one for 600 or so.

Here is the 22 conversion that will work with all full size 75/85 including the SP-01.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... r%20.22LR/

EAA "clones" 75's and might be another ave.

ripjack13 said:
Metal frame. I'd like some heft to it.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX0MB7pJtKs&sns=em[/youtube]

"Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable.

...and if it doesn't work, you can always hit him with it." :lol:

Did I hear my name mentioned? RipJack whaddyou do? :D

I'm actually really happy to see this thread to continue to grow!

I"m not a big guy, 5'10" with my boots on. My hands arent large, but kinda wide. I cant handle most double stack mags and for me a Glock or anything Glock like with a wide and especially the short grips are the worst for me.

Some pistols with interchangable back and or front straps have improved the situation, but still nothin fits like a .45.

I agree the 9mm is def gonna cost less to shoot. I spend nearly $30 for 20 rounds of Federal HydraShok, $27ish for 50 rounds of Winchester whitebox JHP, and target loads like FMJ ball is about $20 for 50.

I dont check 9mm prices regularly, but its considerably less!

As far as carry, should you want to, LES mentioned carrying full size 1911's and I know a number of others who carry 1911's including a personal friend of mine who had been carrying a commander sized RIA. The 1911 is actually a narrower frame than double stack 9's and are often roundier than the square shaped Glock and Glock like frames.

If it isnt already crazy obvious, I'm a fan of 1911's. I would really like to find a 9 that fits, but I dont want a 1911 9 mm.

I really like the HK USP's, but those dont fit right. There was a Sig I liked, it seemed like it could be managable and was a full sized gun. I havent checked out the S&W M&P's, and then theres the CZ 75b (an older model that was ok.. and the only other one I kinda like is the FNP. Oh! And the Ruger fit decently and I could fire it well enough... well infact better than my buddy who owns it.

As for recoil... the .45 1911 is nominal. And Allison shoots a 1911 .45 ACP and i think its still her favorite gun!

ripjack13 said:
It's cool..even the mods need modding sometimes..lol....well.maybe just me. Ha!
Rossignols gonna be all over me on this one. Heh heh heh......jk buddy.

Rossignol said:
Did I hear my name mentioned? RipJack whaddyou do? :D

oh...nuttin... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oli700 said:
It sounds like the CZ is still in the running. I can now personally recommend the CZ’s. They are all based off of the 75 so you get that benefit in all the variants

75 compact manual safety

OMG...i just fell in love....

ImPcQl.jpg

i really like it's looks. i need to go hold one....asap!!

ripjack13 said:
oli700 said:

75 compact manual safety

OMG...i just fell in love....

ImPcQl.jpg

i really like it's looks. i need to go hold one....asap!!

Dammit guys, stop postin up all these CZ pics! I'm tired of rearranging my wish list...

Decent 9mm under 400$?

I am going to be keeping my eyes open for a decent 9mm over the next few weeks. I don't mind buying used. Can anyone give me some recommendations on what to look out for that I might find in this price range? I'm also keeping an open mind about .40's and .45's, but I am leaning towards a 9mm. It will be used as a backup hog hunting gun and if it is something I could carry concealed that would be a plus. I know I have seen Glocks going for around 325-350 near me, but I am planning on reloading and I have read too many stories about Glocks having problems with reloads (Still doesn't make sense to me why this would be a problem).

Back