• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: Decent 9mm under 400$?

Glocks don't have problems with reloads...it just voids the OEM warranty ! Most gun manufacturers include that caveat in their literature.

Glocks do have small problem with lead bullets...not because you can't shoot them out of a Glock, it's about the leading that follows because of the polygonal rifling...

Lots of myths out there on the interwebz....!!

SHOOTER13 said:
Glocks don't have problems with reloads...it just voids the OEM warranty ! Most gun manufacturers include that caveat in their literature.

Glocks do have small problem with lead bullets...not because you can't shoot them out of a Glock, it's about the leading that follows because of the polygonal rifling...

Lots of myths out there on the interwebz....!!

So than are the people that blow up their Glocks with reloads just reloading incorrectly? It doesn't make sense to me why some people say that it doesn't matter with 9mm Glocks, but that .40's have an issue.

As far as an economy gun I don’t think this can be beat. It is a Glock clone done by Smith & Wesson. It shoots as good as a basic Glock…..all but the trigger. The Sigma trigger is a little tough at first. S&W worked with law enforcement in the request for a harder trigger as a safety feature. S&W customer service is awesome. I screwed up the reliability of my Sigma trying to make the trigger lighter. I Got a pre paid shipping label fromS&W,a$90 value, and they repaired the gun and sent it back no charge…..they were aware from the gate that it was not a warranty issue and that I did some backyard gunsmithing…no problems at all.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... kStainless

So then are the people that blow up their Glocks with reloads just reloading incorrectly? It doesn't make sense to me why some people say that it doesn't matter with 9mm Glocks, but that .40's have an issue.

Yup...!! Any firearm will "blow up" ...to use your term...if the reloader put in a wrong charge of powder...given the firearm is in good working condition before the reloads are introduced.

oli700 said:
As far as an economy gun I don’t think this can be beat. It is a Glock clone done by Smith & Wesson. It shoots as good as a basic Glock…..all but the trigger. The Sigma trigger is a little tough at first. S&W worked with law enforcement in the request for a harder trigger as a safety feature. S&W customer service is awesome. I screwed up the reliability of my Sigma trying to make the trigger lighter. I Got a pre paid shipping label fromS&W,a$90 value, and they repaired the gun and sent it back no charge…..they were aware from the gate that it was not a warranty issue and that I did some backyard gunsmithing…no problems at all.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... kStainless

That looks like it would be perfect for me. Have you had any FTE's or any other problem?

SHOOTER13 said:
So then are the people that blow up their Glocks with reloads just reloading incorrectly? It doesn't make sense to me why some people say that it doesn't matter with 9mm Glocks, but that .40's have an issue.

Yup...!! Any firearm will "blow up" ...to use your term...if the reloader put in a wrong charge of powder...given the firearm is in good working condition before the reloads are introduced.

Is there a better term for it? I didn't feel like kaboom was much of a technical term.

IIRC, Some of the early Glock .40 barrels had an unsupported section in the chamber that could bulge the case if the reloads were too hot, This should have been taken care of by now, But just be sure to check it out.
The 9mm is a cheaper round and can cause just as much damage as a .40S&W with todays home defense rounds.

The Sigma oli mentioned is a good shooter at a good price. A friend of mine has one. I've got a stainless Ruger P95 that I love. Wouldn't be my first choice for an EDC because she is a little chunky but it's a favorite of mine to shoot. I put a Houge Handall sleeve on mine and it made a big difference in feel. Won't break the bank either.

honkey said:
That looks like it would be perfect for me. Have you had any FTE's or any other problem?

nope. It shoots anything....

oli700 said:
honkey said:

nope. It shoots anything....

Thanks... I will definitely be checking that out and comparing prices at my LGS.

Re: Handgun Recommendations, Need Advice...

Howdy everyone. I was just checking out the offerings from Buds and found a few I need to decide on.
pics....
I narrowed it down to 3 makers and 3 guns....Beretta, Colt and CZ...

4Bpqcl.jpg

Beretta 92 COMPACT 9mm 13RD

wx8RHl.jpg

Colt Defender 9mm Stainless 3

GW6Un.jpg

CZ-USA CZ 75 Compact 9mm Black, 15 round

all under $600. I was looking to see if I could get a Vertec like Snipers, but then I saw the Compact. I had a 92f for a few years then last week my brother wanted it back. Well..it was his. so, He has it now. And since I did like it somewhat I wanted to see what Beretta had that caught my eye....

Then I saw the Colt, obviously it needs to be black. The rubber grip on the front I don't like to much....and I already love the CZ...so....those are what I'm going to think on for a while. And whichever one I decide on will be getting brand new home made wood grips. ;)

I was looking at the Glocks and they really didn't strike me enough as much as those 3 above....sorry Glock guys...

Ooooh! I like all those!!

Especially the Colt! Something about it seems familiar...

I like the others too, I'd like to look at each of em!!!

Honestly, this comparison is very difficult. Everyone will have their opinion, but all three platforms are excellent choices. I feel like you can't go wrong with either of these. My suggestion would be to get out and get your mitts on them to see how each feels in your hands. I'll guarantee that one will stand out over the other once you've fondled them all.

Happy hunt'n!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Honestly, this comparison is very difficult. Everyone will have their opinion, but all three platforms are excellent choices. I feel like you can't go wrong with either of these. My suggestion would be to get out and get your mitts on them to see how each feels in your hands. I'll guarantee that one will stand out over the other once you've fondled them all.

Happy hunt'n!

This.

Well, I went in today to shoot the Sigma, and I liked it. I was about to put it on layaway, but then the customer next to me was talking about the Springfield XDs that are on sale for $399... I realized I needed another day to think about it. I shot an XD last weekend and immediately fell in love with it. I think I am going to grab one while they are on sale.

I'd take an XD over the Sigma any day. Keep us posted...

Just my opinion, honkey, but for another hundred bux I think a $399 XD is definitely a better gun.

But that's why it costs a hundred more! If they cost a similar amount it would be a no-brainer.

The Sigma, while a bit weird in the trigger pull, is an otherwise outstanding pistol made in the USA and it carries a Lifetime Warranty. For the money they are a good pistol to own. Sigmas make great guns for just about any defensive situation, but they lack a bit of finesse if trying to shoot really small groups at the range.

Tough choice!

I’d cough up the extra hundred for an XD too if ya got it. My Sigma has supprised me in the accuracy department though, when I had the trigger all messed up and Glock springs in it. I still have a Glock striker spring I want to try now that the gun is reliable again.

Like I said, after shooting the Sigma, I could tell it was a great gun and would do what I need it to. The problem is that the XD was so much more fun to shoot. If the subcompact XD's haven't been sold out by tomorrow, I will be putting one on layaway and picking it up next week when my next paycheck comes in.

Back