• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Check out the Bersa line of guns. I carry one everyday. Reliable and cost effective.

My wife carries one as well or she carries her Charter Arms Pink Lady.
She likes the way the Charter feels in her hand and its light.

Thanks, we'll check those out too about the same cost as others we've looked at. I see they have a .45 ACP. I don't know how she would feel about that.

They look like what she's liked most though, hammer and thumb safety and some models are DA/SA.

Brad:

How "concealable" does it need to be? IOW, how will it be normally carried?

Questions we're still answering. She doesn't wear a belt so that's out. She works in a doctors office and would rather not leave a handgun in purse. Additionally, I'm not sure I'm a fan of concealed carry purses and the like. I'm not crazy about things that can be taken.

There are however quite a few options available to women that men wouldn't wear normally but that aren't necessarily unusual for women to wear.

Biggest thing right now is finding something that feels comfortable in her hands. Which by the way has been almost hilarious thus far. It's laughable to see her handle firearms but on some level I feel as if I've failed in my duties that she fundamentally does not understand firearm etiquette and safe handling practices. So far though I'm ok helping her to figure it out and gun store guys have also been cool with it and comfortable knowing the guns have been cleared and haven't freaked out as she muzzle sweeps the entire room.

We're gonna work on that.

A fanny pack would be the thing IMO. Hard to lose. Decorate it with a red Cross & keep some rubber gloves in it in case anyone asks.

The regular zippered type would be awkward but a custom made one could be slick.

Check out the Bersa line of guns. I carry one everyday. Reliable and cost effective.

My wife carries one as well or she carries her Charter Arms Pink Lady.
She likes the way the Charter feels in her hand and its light.

^ What he said.

If you're not opposed to .380, take a look at the Bersa Thunder models. My wife carried one for a couple years and enjoyed shooting it. It's considered a sub-compact, but has good weight to it and the grip feels great in the hand. Very reliable and accurate too...

Brad have her look at Cornered Cat website. Great info for woman shooters. That is where my wife got her info on the Belly Band.

I just read it, they claim it is the most comfortable carry for any style of clothing.
Again my wife loves hers. She runs 5Ks wearing hers.

I've been looking to get a little .380 pocket pistol. Any thoughts on the Ruger LCP? ...also the Bersa Thunder .380?

I'm looking to keep it small , light, and low on the price.

I've been looking to get a little .380 pocket pistol. Any thoughts on the Ruger LCP? ...also the Bersa Thunder .380?

I am a Bersa fan. Been carrying a .380 Thunder for years daily.
I carried it in my pocket. Just ordered a cross draw holster for it today. Time to free up some pocket space.
I also have a Bersa .45.
My wife owns the .380 CC and a Firestorm .22.
Great guns for the money!

It's pricier than the ones listed so far, but the Sig P238 is a fine pistol if you're OK with carrying cocked and locked in your pocket.

If you are, then it's a very small step up to the P938 and you'll be packing 9mm.

My 938 is in my pocket right now and my 238 is in the safe.

Brad have her look at Cornered Cat website. Great info for woman shooters. That is where my wife got her info on the Belly Band.

I just read it, they claim it is the most comfortable carry for any style of clothing.
Again my wife loves hers. She runs 5Ks wearing hers.

The Cornered Cat is a very interesting site. I'll have to get the wife involved.
She needs more motivation from female shooters.

The Ruger LCP is a very good micro, but it has uncomfortable recoil. Really, almost all tiny .380s are uncomfortable to shoot. BUT... Only very slightly larger are the Ruger LC9s which are really great and more softly recoiling even while moving up to a 9mm.

The LC9s has real steel sights that are actually useable and replaceable/adjustable. Not that a tiny pocket pistol really needs sights but a NEW or infrequent shooter trying to accurately shoot a LCP or a Kel-Tec .380 or similar gun cannot hit shit partly because of the almost non-existent sights milled into the slide.

Magazines for the LC9-series each come with a flat floorplate and a pinkie extension floorplate.

I love the Bersa .380 BUT it is fairly large and heavy in my opinion. And it certainly does not carry the magnificent warranty of Ruger.

I'm actually thinking of getting into the market for a Kahr CM9... pocket pistol with at better caliber (both price and ballistics). I've shot one and it's a nice shooter too.

I'll echo what's been said about the LCP. I have one and while it's a joy to carry, it's an absolute pain to shoot.

Have a Bersa Thunder .380 CC (Concealed Carry) as well. It's bulkier than the LCP and doesn't carry quite as well, but a lot more pleasant to shoot.

My personal favorite micro pistol is the Kahr P380. It's tiny, comfortable to shoot, and surprisingly accurate for such a small pistol...

The Ruger LCP is a very good micro, but it has uncomfortable recoil. Really, almost all tiny .380s are uncomfortable to shoot. BUT... Only very slightly larger are the Ruger LC9s which are really great and more softly recoiling even while moving up to a 9mm.

Doesn't Ruger now make a LC380 or something? .380 in the LC9 size gun?

And of course, there is the Glock 42...

I have not fired nor handled any of the aforementioned guns btw so do your research...

Every Kahr I have ever shot in rapid fire, while admittedly not being trained on the particular gun, I short stroke the trigger reset every elfin' time.

Slow fire shooting makes me want to love the gun. Rapid fire I think it could get me killed in a fast and close gunfight.

Back