• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

The M&P is an awesome piece of machinery. I had one for a while and wish I had kept it. There is a machinist here in MI that had created a new trigger sear for them that made the triggers even better. He also would do custom sights (i.e. reflex) and custom serrations.

I know that as soon as MI made suppressors legal, people started going after threaded barrels, just so they could use a suppressor when the time came. I don't see a down side to getting a threaded barrel if it is available.

so what am I missing here ? Threaded, not threaded who cares . I am over looking something obviousness.......

You started a poll to ask other people if its ok for you to carry a handgun with threads on the end of the barrel ?

so what am I missing here ? Threaded, not threaded who cares . I am over looking something obviousness.......

You started a poll to ask other people if its ok for you to carry a handgun with threads on the end of the barrel ?

Not if its okay lol it's absolutely legal if that's what you meant. just wanted to see other people opinions and figure out if its worth the extra $75 locally to buy one with a threaded barrel NOW (and carry) in the prospect of a future suppressor purchase or if I should just get a regular G19 and buy the barrel later ($150+) with the suppressor. Also, if carrying with the threaded barrel brings it's own difficulties, from those with any experience.

I perhaps could have worded it differently.

If you plan on adding a suppressor, then by all means, get the threaded barrel now. One less thing to have to buy and deal with later. Especially if it's just $75 more out of the box.

Otherwise, you would be stuck with the option of spending another $150+ later on an aftermarket barrel.

Or, buying an extended barrel (~$90) and then on top of that paying someone another $50-$100 to turn it down on a lathe and thread it.

If you have no plans of ever having a suppressor, then I would say no. For obvious reasons. What would be the point?

I am going to assume this is going to be a 9mm barrel. If so, you would want a 1/2-28 thread just like your AR15's. (but for God's sake, don't use a 223 flash hider on it unless it's over-bored to accommodate the larger 9mm projectile).

Edit to add:
I'm a HUGE fan of suppressed weapons, especially 9mm's with 147 or 158 gr subsonic ammo.

Most of the suppressor footage mainly starts toward the end of the video, but still

And another

As an added "bonus", wouldn't having a threaded barrel give you a 1/2 inch more accuracy inducing potential? ;) (ie: longer rifling)

PS: pic is off the web, owner unknown...

Attachments

• 908261_02_brand_new_gen_4_glock_19_w_thr_640.jpg
    908261_02_brand_new_gen_4_glock_19_w_thr_640.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 9
@John A. Suppressor purchase is definitely on my list of things. I have considered the barrel threading to match my AR barrel, only recently though when I first learned it was possible. For some reason or another, I believed each caliber, .22 .30 .45 etc needed it's own threading. Sort of like a designator lol

Glock is unfortunately LH threads but all major can makers have options to accommodate such a threading. I do wonder how many folks have put said flash hider on a 9 mm and learned too late lololol the cost difference is actually $500 for a Gen 3 G19 or $560 for a Gen 3 Threaded G19... or cheapest barrel is $120 Lone Wolf

Rick, most different calibers do have different threading. But it's far easier to get the one that is the "most" common from the start. That's why I recommended the 1/2-28.

There are a lot of suppressor manufacturers, and a lot of differences between them, so I won't go into specifics on each one, but to make a long story short, 1/2-28 on a 9mm suppressor would be the most ideal thread for a few reasons. And I'll even go one further and recommend you look into the Huntertown Arms Guardian 9mm suppressor for the baffle type, AND the low cost. Or also check out the Thompson Machine brand of suppressors. You get a lot for your money at either place.

While you wouldn't be able to use the suppressor on 223, but you would be able to use a 9mm suppressor on a 22LR converted AR, a handgun from 9mm down to 17 hmr like a Sig Mosquito or Walther P22 with the correct thread barrel adapter, or a host of other guns like an HR 38/357, MP5, uzi, glock or xd or M&P Storm lake threaded barrels, etc.

And of course, you can always get thread adapters so you can use the 9mm suppressor on a 300 subsonic blackout or on anything else that is within the strength rating of the suppressor that isn't threaded the same, but 1/2-28 is the most common and why I recommended it.

I have a bunch of different thread adapters like 14-1 LH for the SKS bullpup and AK's, etc., but like I said the 1/2-28 is the most common.

Just note that I built my 9 mil can strong enough to handle rifle or pistol cal's ;) I was going for uni-versal-tility when I built it so that's why I mentioned that commercial 9mm suppressors generally won't handle full house rifle pressure because they built them from aluminum and other things to keep them LIGHTWEIGHT, rather than robust.

Okay... the only thing out of all of that, that stuck was "I built mine"..... Hahaha now why bother telling me about manufacturers when here you are? ;)

I understand what you meant about the 1/2-28, and as highly ideal as it would be, is it worth the extra cost in after market barrel down the road and will I even have other firearms I'd attach it too? Lol

I wonder if there is a 14x1 LH --> 1/2x28 adapter :O problems solved

EDIT: checked out that Guardian 9... $350 that's it?? Fantastic price!

I really don't mind to give you a crash course, but there can be a lot of little details too, but yeah, we can do that but would be better if you called me.

If you built or bought a suppressor, I am certain that you'd put it on as many guns as you could.

There is a 14-1 LH to 1/2-28 thread adapter. Pretty cheap too compared to other places. A thread adapter is usually north of $50, but these were really reasonable.
https://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=24929&CartID=1

Here is one on the SKS that I bullpupped
sksbullpupsuppressed010_zpsed4958d8.jpg

And another on the NPAP
Christmasmorning2014005_zpsaf7ff54e.jpg

I presume that building or assembling said suppressor also falls under the non deductible $200 Tax? Lol I've heard of "kits" and have seen guys modify objects into a fully operational suppressor. Never delved too deep into it though

That SKS looks pretty sweet!! Bullpups are awesome... period. Lol
As for the adapter, that could be a problem solved from the get go... save me some time and effort... found a used G19 G3, slightly modified (finger humps removed) and local $400 + transfer. I'm contemplating that because I could get a lone wolf or storm lake down the road and be within $50+/-

I hate when the wife says "Yeah sure, you can get a pistol" haha all the millions of options that must be considered

You are correct on the tax. It's a $200 builders tax.

Or $200 buyers tax.

The bullpup is fun. But mag changes are slow.

More or less.

Kinda.

Depends.

If your local SOT doesn't have it in stock, there will be a few weeks wait (usually within 3) while the nfa branch does the transfer paperwork from the manufacturer to your local SOT, then they'll start the transfer to you.

If it's in stock at your local SOT, the wait will be a little faster due to not having to wait for the nfa branch to transfer it between them.

If you build, would be the roughly same as if it was already in stock at your local SOT.

More or less.

Kinda.

Depends.

If your local SOT doesn't have it in stock, there will be a few weeks wait (usually within 3) while the nfa branch does the transfer paperwork from the manufacturer to your local SOT, then they'll start the transfer to you.

If it's in stock at your local SOT, the wait will be a little faster due to not having to wait for the nfa branch to transfer it between them.

If you build, would be the roughly same as if it was already in stock at your local SOT.
So the wait isn't months like other NFA items?? That's crazy :O Maybe I'll snag a suppressor and then the pistol lol

So the wait isn't months like other NFA items?? That's crazy :O Maybe I'll snag a suppressor and then the pistol lol

Whoa no, that's only the time it takes for the can to be transferred from the mfg to your dealer.

From the dealer to you the NFA transfer timeline to get your approval and tax stamp is closer to one year these days...

It is. But it isn't as bad as it was a year and a half ago.

Transfers between (licensed) dealers are a couple of weeks.

Transfer from licensed dealer to you, is roughly 2-5 months.

Depends on a lot of things.

The examiner and their existing workload and how many applications they have in front of you, the time of year (Christmas-April are real busy because of Christmas and tax refunds), etc.

PSA had this barrel LINK but they are out of stock. I think it was in the $110 range... 1/2-28 thread
Yes I saw that a little while ago and wasn't ready to "pull the pin" as the railroad says... I did however just place a purchase with Impact Guns today for a Gen 3 Glock 19, Threaded Barrel and Suppresor sights :D

@LAZY EYED SNIPER @ripjack13
I figured it was too good to be true lol... a few months I'm sure is still well worth it! New Glock should be here by Friday if all goes as planned. I got factory setup;

A) because cheaper than buying ANY of the aftermarket barrels including Glock Factory Barrel ($220)

B) it is claimed that the factory unsupported chamber is what accounts to a good amount of reliability and that tighter tolerances barrels from other manufacturers are arguably less reliable. Which why else to buy a Glock other than 100% reliability. I don't want to have that "what if what I did causes a failure?" In the back of my head as I carry...

C) it includes a thread protector... while aftermarket ones run $8+s/h and upwards of $25+ it's the small things that count right? :p

Speaking of carry, I placed an order with "Alex and Ryan Design" for custom holsters. One for myself and one for my wife. A Grey Ghost Gear "Son of Paladin" mini war belt and gerber ghostrike :p any recommendations for a belt for my wife? Go with custom leather?

Back