• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

The last couple months, I've been doing some window shopping for a new semi-auto carry pistol. S&W, Ruger, and a couple others. I narrowed the field down to either the Ruger SR-9c or the standard size SR9. So went down to the LGS today and sprung for a box of ammo and rental on both and did a side by side eval. The 9c is a nice gun, but didn't feel right with the 10rnd mag (2 finger grip), and with the 17rnd mag it was nearly identical in weight and size to the standard SR9, so wouldn't make a significant difference for a carry gun.

Both shot well, but the SR9 just felt better in my hand and I liked the trigger better. So now I just need to save my pennies, and look for the best deal at the other shops around here. Not in a big hurry, and I know there is usually a annual Ruger sale at one of the shops in August. Anyway, it feels good to have settled the question.

FYI the SR9 has a mag disconnect. I believe it is removable but just be aware. Personally I like my guns to be able to fire with the mag removed.

FYI the SR9 has a mag disconnect. I believe it is removable but just be aware. Personally I like my guns to be able to fire with the mag removed.

You're correct, and so does the 9c. Both are easily removable. That was one of the first things I checked on. :)

Mike, the other thing is that both models will handle +P+ ammo, unlike some of the other makes I looked at. Ruger pays attention to what their customers like and don't like, and build accordingly. :)

My G19 can digest it as well. I found it odd that the S&W M&P I had prior could not.

My G19 can digest it as well. I found it odd that the S&W M&P I had prior could not.

I kinda hope that others who are considering a carry piece take the time to find out this kind of stuff. Might save them some grief later on. :)

Stepped up from a 9 to a SA .45 ACP. Nine or thirteen round mags (nine is more easily concealed). Love shooting it. Added a CT laser as well. Breaking in the holster for everyday wear.

Just picked up glock 30 for carry. Not that I would n the great city of Los angeles where it is a no no. Wink wink.

I carry a 29, same as the 30 but the cal......it's a chunk but the grip is short

I got the 30 because I have 2 45's and the 30 can share ammo, and the 30 out the door was $460.
And the s and sf were 100 bucks more. Lastly, no gen 4's for sale in the fabulous state of California, no more single shot exemptions as of January 1

Contemplating one of those new(er) Glock 19s that were released with factory threaded barrels... I do want a suppressor eventually (probably will be a while) but I'm curious on everyone's thoughts on carrying a pistol with a threaded barrel.

I've carried a small array of pistols:

Glock 23 G4
CZ P-07 (buddies I borrowed)
Full-size 1911
Ruger P95
Taurus Mil Pro 45

So I'm familiar with different pistols, their sizes, battery of arms, etc... also familiar with the Glock Compact model through my 23 I had.

Just curious what you all think about carrying, specifically the threaded barrel... yay? Nay? Just carry a (plain Jane) G19 and worry about the barrel/supp later?

Let the debate begin >:)

I've been reading up on it, it's not exactly a trend but a niche crowd of firearms owners carry their M&P pistols threaded, and it seems only a few use it for suppressor purposes at home. Others I've read had a flash hider for at night and some argue it keeps your mounted light from being fouled... the latter being slightly far fetched but applicable I presume.

For the amount of threaded blocks I've seen online, few mentions of carrying those models. M&P must be hot or something lol

Back