• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Help Identify This 590 Please

That's awesome! It's always nice to have a skill you can use to barter with - I'm currently in school to become an auto tech myself.

That said, I appreciate your generosity!

Also I'm sorry to hear about your 870 - Remington it seems has become notorious for bad QC all around as of late - and the 870 has suffered tremendously.

Okay TheJackal if you want to pm me your address I will send it to you no charge just as soon as I get the replacement....But first I need your help again fellas....
This forend is a laser sight and not a light. It has no metal insert and the action bars are pinned directly to the polymer.
How would I go about taking the measurements and what all will I need in order to have the standard ribbed law enforcement forend?

Attachments

• forend1 (640x361).jpg
    forend1 (640x361).jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 146
  • forend2 (640x361).jpg
    forend2 (640x361).jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 145
  • forend3 (640x361).jpg
    forend3 (640x361).jpg
    117 KB · Views: 146
You will need to get a new action tube along with the forend.

Attachments

• forend chart.jpg
    forend chart.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 143
Thank you. This measures exactly 8 inchs. I would assume that the longer tube assembly would be what I need. Do you agree?
Or do you think the 1 piece ribbed assembly will work?

Attachments

• forend4 (361x640).jpg
    forend4 (361x640).jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 138
You are going to replace the action tube and the forend it dosen't matter what that length is of the pinned setup.
You can put either length action tube on your gun. Once you pick which one you are going to get ,then you order the matching length forend.

TheJackal said:
I've seen that flashlight forend before, and I have reason to believe it is indeed factory equipment.

I believe it was originally intended to hold standard halogen-bulb Maglites, back in the late 80's / early 90's.

Anybody ever seen the 1993 movie 'Hard Target' ?

Mgc2cJl.jpg

ohvfP2c.jpg

I think there's two possibilities here

1. It is indeed an OEM Mossberg forend, albeit an antiquated one
2. The armorer on the set of Hard Target installed the same aftermarket forend on the prop gun

Either way, that gun has definitely seen many rounds, given the discoloration around that bayonet lug.

What also strikes me as, if nothing else, inconsistent with the sellers claims - is that antiquated forend being paired with a relatively new (by comparison) SpeedFeed buttstock.

If you do indeed decide to purchase that shotgun (hopefully at a better price) - I would be VERY interested in buying that forend from you - simply because I loved that movie.

That forend went out in the mail this morning. Enjoy.

That forend went out in the mail this morning. Enjoy.

:mrgreen: Got the forend late Monday afternoon!

I cannot thank you enough!

I suspect it arrived Friday, however the mailroom staff had the day off for Halloween. Lucky folks.

I did more research and found that the forend is infact an official Mossberg product.

They were made and sold from 1990 through 1993 (explains it being in a '93 movie) with two different model shotguns - either a 500 or 590 "Intimidator".

I called Mossberg customer service to no avail - nobody there has any idea what the hell I'm talking about :lol:

I managed to find a battery that will fit and operate the laser - though despite getting it working I'm not sure it's really the "correct" battery.

Despite it physically turning on - the pressure pad switches are long dead, I have to close the switch with the wires on the end.

Also the laser module itself is extremely tired and really shows it's age - it's barely visible even in complete darkness.

That's OK though - since I was able to carefully take it apart and slide the entire laser module itself out of the forend body.

This leaves the forend with a .75" hole but retains both the windage and elevation adjustment screws in the forend body - just BEGGING for a modern laser to be retrofit in.

Searching online I found several lasers with a .80" diameter and remote pressure pad that can be made to fit exactly like the original.

My only limiting factor at the moment is waiting until I have some spare income, and deciding between a Green or Red laser. :twisted:

Alright here's my update on the forend!

I ended up finding a red laser with a .6" tube and a .80" head.

I wrapped the rear in heavy rubber-tape to make up the gap, for a snug but still moveable slip-fit.

I CAREFULLY relieved the end of the hole with a dremel sanding wheel on super low speed, JUST enough (.05") for the laser head to be a very snug press-fit.

The only unfortunate thing is that I was not able to utilize the original pressure pad switch - it was proved unresponsive with a meter and no amount of tinkering could bring it back to life - I can only assume it's demise was the cause of old age.

So enough with the description. . .

Fellow Mossberg Owners, I present to you my retrofitted Mossberg 500 'Intimidator' !

JyvM1Gl.jpg

MxTaSdU.jpg

1JnYphw.jpg

oOrYN8D.jpg

(That last shot was really tricky to get! :lol: )

Many, many thanks again to Marine0311 for his utmost generosity sending me this piece of 90's Mossberg nostalgia!

Back