• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Here it is in the middle of the night

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
And I'm wide awake.

I've not really been sleeping too good lately. Between my allergies and stuffy nose and hurting and not being able to stay comfortable, the last few days have been rough.

Tonight, I was sleeping a lot better. I guess near exhaustion will do that to a guy.

Then I start dreaming. My dog was fighting with something. Then my brain realizes that I'm not dreaming and it really is fighting something. I wake up out of a dead sleep, I get up and open the window and holler at my dog, and then he hushes a minute, and that's when I heard the possum or coon hissing and growling back.

So, I get dressed, fumble through my gun case and find my 22 subs, a can, and one of the bolt actions so I don't wake up every neighbor on the block (as if the noise from the royal rumble cage match going on in my back yard wasn't already having several other folks turning over and putting the pillow over their heads).

Here it is an hour and a half later after I give the possum a TKO and I'm still wired.

Uuugh.

I can relate, not sleeping well myself lately. Stay awake at night and nodding off all day. Stress is really starting to wear on me.

Working nights and attempting to sleep during the days, and having a son and his family of four living with us now going on five months, and two dogs, and three cats, plus job stress, and other family "issues" common to many of us leaves me sleep deprived all the time.

I very often know how you feel. Especially after a stressful shift at work. But I love what I do. Sleep comes in spurts.

Get some rest as soon as you can, like recharging your battery. :)

I really feel for you guys because I lost a lot of sleep back in the old days. Nowadays it's only the project I want to work on that might keep me up.

I wish I could offer you insomniacs something helpful, but all I can do is maybe amuse you with my stories.

Blessedly, nowadays I'm pretty much on my own schedule and I only get up at o'dark 30 because that's what my body's trained to do if I want to go fishing. During fishing season I want to go all the time.

Thank God I don't like to ice fish because then I'd be getting up early in the winter too! When the weather changes I can hibernate in the mornings now. Not like the old days.

I was the paperboy at the Air Force Base in Duluth and I got out to the highway for my newspapers before the airmen heard reveley. I came from the desert, and wasn't into snow sports, so I shoveled snow, chopped ice, & spent long nights reading and working on my electronic junk.

I suffered from lack of sleep and the freezing cold.
I will say that it helped to make me tough. I also learned to fist fight, because by the time I got to school in the morning my ability to suffer idiots was compromised.

I offended the local Minnesota kids who were happy to try and beat on me, because I was an Air Force brat with a strange West Coast accent, from freaking Arizona of all places!

I thank God that my parents sent me out to work when I was young. Kids who don't have the habit of working from a young age rarely develop it.

I did and now I'm at the end of my furrow, and I can catch up on my sleep.

But it's 7 a.m. so I'm going to go wake up my missus, ;) give her the paper, and her kitty cat who just came home.

Bless you guys who are out there giving it up for the good of other people.

My dog was after a possum last night too...
I take the melatonin. It helps sometimes, but mostly not so much. I do a lot of hand sanding on my projects at night after the wife goes to bed and I cant sleep. When I do sleep, it's usually no more than 4 hours. I'm used to it....

Thankfully, I've not been "too stressed" lately. Just life in general going on.

I just can't wake up from a dead sleep in a hurry and lay right back down afterwards. Once my feet hit the floor, I'm up. There is no slipping right back asleep after running around in my back yard with a flash light and a rifle at 3:30 in the morning.

My dog was much better behaved with this encounter than the last one though. At least he broke his attack when I was coming across the yard this time and I told him to. He's a good dog. But if another animal manages to get inside the fence, he turns into Wahoo McDaniel.

I have bizaar sleep pattern myself im rarely out more than about 3 hours at a time. Typical night sleep is 10 to 1 up an hour then 2 to maybe 5ish. I sleep very light and usually wake up eyes wide open on go. Once in awhile i get lucky usually just wore out and my body will crash for literally 10 hours straight dead to the world maybe twice a month.
Wahoo Mcdaniels !!!! Hadnt thought of him in along time. Saw him and many others live years ago back when Gordon Solley was the announcer on Saturday afternoons. Good ole wrastlin ! Loved me some Dusty Rhodes the best.

I have a rule that I can get up twice to pee & if I have to get up a third time I don't go back to bed.

No I didn't actually make that rule. It just sort of became my habit.

But if I don't have to pee I just get to keep sleeping.

A lot of these habits have to do with how much hard cider I drank the night before.

Yeah, I liked Dirty Dusty too.

When I lived in Duluth & Cincinnati we got all the great wrestling shows. From the Cobo Hall in Detroit we used to watch Cowboy Bill Watts kick the snot out of Mr. X.

Do you remember the guy with the Horseshoes on his butt?

We used to see Andre the Giant, Man Mountain Mike, the Nature Boy. . . . Those were the classic days of professional wrestling.

I once was in a knock down drag out bar fight with several WCW wrestlers in Zanesville, Ohio. Place was called the Frisco Bay Nightclub. Thought i was going to get real bad hurt that night. Tommy Wildfire Rich hit me with a chair before I could draw my baton. They can be pretty strong men when they want to be.

Good Lord I'm glad I never had to go through anything like that! I have fought guys bigger than I was but mostly they were just uncoordinated Lard asses. Tough little fast guys were always worse. But I never went up against any monsters.

And what is it about wrestlers and chairs?

If you wanted to be an evil guy in the wrestling ring eventually you had to pick up a chair and start whacking the hero with it.

I have a 17 month old teething son and a 7 week old daughter who are, at the moment, actively attempting to drive me batshit crazy in the middle of the night. Every night.

I'd kill a hundred possums if they would just both effing SLEEP at the same time!

I'd like to hold onto what shred of reality I have left but.......hang on, this purple moose is looking at me weird, gotta go...

I have a 17 month old teething son and a 7 week old daughter who are, at the moment, actively attempting to drive me batshit crazy in the middle of the night. Every night.

I'd kill a hundred possums if they would just both effing SLEEP at the same time!

I'd like to hold onto what shred of reality I have left but.......hang on, this purple moose is looking at me weird, gotta go...
Hey hey. Congrats. Doesn't seem like the boy is that old already. You didn't waste any time now did ya. Been wondering why you were such a ghost.

Yeah man thanks, the time has flown by for sure. Some days we think we were smart for stacking 'em in close together, other days the prevailing question is "WTF WERE WE THINKING?!"

They definitely deserve all my free time, so the forum has taken a back seat for a bit...

My son has recently remarried. He had a 4 year old daughter already, she had a 4 year old son, a 2 year old daughter and another son born this week.

That's 4 preschool aged kids from 0-4 years old.

Life is awesome.

I have been on the road for two days now. I don't often sleep enough when traveling. I wake every 2 hours. I got about 6 hours last night. Today we have been walking a lot so I may sleep better.

But for me traveling is the worst. Traveling and camping.

. . . That's 4 preschool aged kids from 0-4 years old.

Life is awesome.

John I remember vividly what it was like just having two in the house, Kelly at 2 years and Tracy at 4.

It was impossible to have a Moment's Peace without risking some catastrophe. I had to keep their little fingers busy every moment.

I really should have a lot more respect for my wife, who served 30 years teaching kindergarten. She had to deal with 27 to 30 children and with only one part-time assistant.

I would have committed ritual suicide long ago.

My son has recently remarried. He had a 4 year old daughter already, she had a 4 year old son, a 2 year old daughter and another son born this week.

That's 4 preschool aged kids from 0-4 years old.

Life is awesome.
Wow...he is gonna have his hands full for a loooooooong time! Hope he's gonna be ok......:crazy:

Back