• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Holsters, We have them! ***Photo Thread***

While I have made a lot of knife sheaths and handgun holsters they have all been made from leather. This will be my first attempt at making a Kydex holster. Im making this for my son. He bought a Sig Sauer 1911 and wanted Kydex rather than leather so it was time to learn how. Im using .090 thick Kydex.

sig1_zpsntrv1p8u.jpg

sig2_zpsxf8kqwxy.jpg

Just like with leather you have to build up areas that will trap the firearm in the holster. Leather is forgiving and will let the handgun go But this .09 Kydex is pretty stiff and I doubt it would flex to let the firearm go so a dowel is taped along the entire length behind the front sight and other areas are built up such as the trigger guard.

sig3_zpsfv5qxze8.jpg

sig4_zpsy5ieloke.jpg

sig5_zpslsbo3bat.jpg

Kydex is heated and then formed around the firearm using a press with foam so I had to build the press first.

sig6_zpsa9jeundt.jpg

Dry run before heating the Kydex.

sig7_zpshbemyqjd.jpg

I heated the Kydex in my shop oven to 350F.

sig8_zpsyfrpmgti.jpg

I started with the face (outside) face first.

sig9_zpsk1mns0nk.jpg

After 15 minutes of cooling time I separated the clamp to check out the results of my first form

sig91_zpsa63nlwag.jpg

sig92_zpstqjqputi.jpg

sig93_zpsluem8ito.jpg

Then I put the pistol and the first piece of Kydex back in the form and heated the other half to form it.

sig94_zpsfytgsd2q.jpg

sig95_zpsvepz2t8y.jpg

Then I clamped the halves together and ran them through the bandsaw to cut the top off.

sig96_zpswa5dgvx5.jpg

sig97_zpsddn4iacz.jpg

Then I cut off the muzzle end.

sig98_zpsyootyt5w.jpg

Then I made the belt loops. The plan was Kydex loops held in place with binding post (Chicago) Screws. I'll wrap the Hot Kydex around pieces of wood.

sig99_zpsjikro37y.jpg

sig991_zps4yflcokf.jpg

It worked out pretty well.

sig992_zps2rydz0wq.jpg

Then I cut off the excess and drilled holes for the screws.

sig993_zpsusgvqgu4.jpg

sig994_zpsbot5bzi9.jpg

The binding post screws attach the belt loops and join the two halves of the holster together.

sig995_zpsbexcyxgc.jpg

sig996_zpscuhntjig.jpg

Then I cut and sanded the outer perimeter to shape then sanded and buffed the edge.

sig997_zpswzoumgb6.jpg

All finished. Not bad for my first attempt

sig998_zpsydbmipkd.jpg

sig999_zpsrwci6vea.jpg

sig9991_zpspxuczrsb.jpg

sig9992_zps0c2l9nz3.jpg

sig9993_zpssojiudbb.jpg

sig9994_zpsdt8sueen.jpg

This was fun. I can see a lot of applications for Kydex. I think I will make a holster for the extra magazine/clip for his gun.

Great first attempt. Looks like you've been making them for a while.

Might I recommend putting some o-rings between the belt clip and the holster. It will allow for a slight amount of play and prevent too much stress on the belt loops. That is always the first point of failure on my kydex holsters and I noticed the last one I bought had them.

Also curving the holster a bit to match the contour of your body helps a bit as well.

Be careful when heating and working with the Kydex. I've heard of several people who used Kydex to make holsters and whatnot developing severe respiratory ailments due to the material releasing fumes when heated. I have no experience with it so this is second- and third-second info.

Be careful when heating and working with the Kydex. I've heard of several people who used Kydex to make holsters and whatnot developing severe respiratory ailments due to the material releasing fumes when heated. I have no experience with it so this is second- and third-second info.

Im not buying this. There is zero smell or fumes.

You did a really good job on the holster. Belt loops too.

I've made a few kydex holsters and sheaths. Looks like the oven does better than a heat gun.

If you screw up and let the kydex overheat to the point where it will be ruined and blister, then yes I suppose it can off gas but then you are doing it wrong. Using that thinking , if you let it get to 735F. you might burn your house down. LOL

My shop is well vented so im not at all concerned.

I got around to making a holster for the extra mag. I wrapped it with tape to make it a little bigger so it would not be too tight a fit. The rest of the pics are pretty much self explainitory.

clip1_zpsuxaowh9t.jpg

clip2_zpsh9rmdsrw.jpg

clip3_zps3rgqhr5z.jpg

clip4_zpss8m3lfza.jpg

clip5_zpsonbceohl.jpg

clip6_zps1fauekcy.jpg

clip7_zpswgcmgo2v.jpg

clip8_zpssqrgthkb.jpg

Nice. I like the metal clip. Will it fit a 2" belt?

Picked up a couple Alien Gear holsters a few weeks ago on their 2 Holster Combo deal...

One for the Glock 19...

... and one for the Combat Commander...

The range of adjustment on the shell and clips is great for tightening or loosening as needed or adjusting the cant. When holstered I can turn the entire rig upside down and the pistols stay firmly in place yet the draw is smooth and effortless...

The neoprene backing is a nice touch that makes these the most comfortable holsters I've ever worn...

We have open carry here in TN, so completely concealing is not a huge concern. That said, I have been amazed that these holster make my carry guns disappear entirely. Even with shorts and a t-shirt it's like they're not even there. It's only been three weeks or so and I'll post back with a more long term update, but from what I see so far it was definitely worth the post...

Looking forward to updates. Everyone ive talked to about them is either in love with, or absolutely hates. Getting more positive responses than negative though.

I've paid two and three times as much for holsters that aren't as functional and damn sure aren't as comfortable. Time will tell if they'll hold up to abuse, but so far so good...

Back