• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hot barrel?

Joe W.

Could a hot barrel make my ATR suddenly group 6 or 7 inches higher at 100 yds?

I was sighting in a new scope and I thought I was good when suddenly I was off the paper. I did shoot about 30 rounds or so and the barrel did get hot but I thought 6 inches was a lot. They were still grouped....just way high.

Is this unusual?

Thanks,
Joe

30 rounds should not even begin to heat it up enough to affect accuracy. Either your scope rings or base came loose or the scope skipped a beat. Did you try to readjust your scope?

Thanks for your reply Oli.......I had just spent quite a bit of time sighting in.....first at 25 yds....then 50....then out to 100. I had a few good groups at 100.....then the trouble started. I triple checked my rings and bases and all were OK. The reticle on my scope is engraved...so I thought I could rule that out. I really didn't think it was the scope.....but I am no expert, that's why I am asking for opinions here.

I will re-check my scope and then shoot a few cold and see what happens.

sounds like you are doing it right to me. Weird things happen so if it shoots off again just re dial the scope and go fron there. Do you have iron sights on the gun as well ? if so you could double check that way.If it were me I would start all over with the problem in mind and you might see what is going on.

Let us know

No iron sights.......I guess I'll just have to go shoot some more. Life is tough! :)

Thanks for your input Oli....I will be sure to let you know how it works out.

Did the shots just jump to the new spot or did they creep up there as you were shooting?

I agree that it sounds like somethign gave somehere as opposed to being caused by too hot of a barrel.

I would check the tightness of everything and as suggested and retest with the problem in mind.

If it jumped, I would suspect the scope or something related.

usually when a barrel gets hot and starts walking, you can usually follow it on the paper. I've never seen one suddenly start shooting way off

unless you're talking about a jump in zero between distances because bullets usually have a rainbow trajectory.

bullet_trajectory2.jpg

I know these guns are notorious for piss poor shooting with a hot barrel... That being said I agree that the shots would creep up as the barrel gets hot. Also I agree with John that at different ranges the bullet is at different elevation.

Try shooting the gun again, and if it is off with a cold barrel then it is obvious that the hot barrel was not the issue. I always try to let the barrel cool off between shots on the range, especially if I'm looking for a good group. I never go to the range if I'm in a hurry, I take my time, and keep the gun as cool as possible.

Before I go shooting, I also check to make sure all screws and bolts are tight in the gun. Depending on your mounting system, something may be every so slightly loose. I would tighten everything up, before you head out to the range, just to make sure.

One variable that hasn't been brought up is ammo.

Were you firing hand loads, or factory ammo? Were all rounds fired the same brand/bullet wieight? Slight variations in a bullet's shape and weight can significantly affect its trajectory and point of impact. If you were shooting factory ammo it's highly possible that some of the rounds were out of spec.

Barrel thermodynamics will affect point of impact as well, but your POI would not likely move much more than an inch or two at 100yds. Movement of 6-7 inches in your shot groups, especially in a "jump", likely points to something else as has already been suggested.

Good luck getting it figured out and keep us posted...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
One variable that hasn't been brought up is ammo.

Were you firing hand loads, or factory ammo? Were all rounds fired the same brand/bullet wieight? Slight variations in a bullet's shape and weight can significantly affect its trajectory and point of impact. If you were shooting factory ammo it's highly possible that some of the rounds were out of spec.

Barrel thermodynamics will affect point of impact as well, but your POI would not likely move much more than an inch or two at 100yds. Movement of 6-7 inches in your shot groups, especially in a "jump", likely points to something else as has already been suggested.

Good luck getting it figured out and keep us posted...

My ATR is chambered in .243 and I have only run 80 GR Remington Core-Locks through it as that is what I intend to use coyote hunting. I have to say that I was shooting at an indoor range for the first time and I did not enjoy the experience very much. The guy in the stall next to me was shooting something HUGE and I was flinching at his shots....his brass was also flying across in front of my station and I found it very distracting. I belong to a club in the Catskills and we have an outdoor range where I am much more comfortable. I can take my time and don't have to get everything done in an hour.

I would like to ask though, if my scope rings and bases are all tight, and they seem to be, could the engraved reticle somehow be the problem?

Thanks for the help....I really appreciate it.

sorry man, never even heard of engraved reticle. I do know if it able to be adjusted then it is able to be broken or out of adjustment

oli700 said:
sorry man, never even heard of engraved reticle. I do know if it able to be adjusted then it is able to be broken or out of adjustment

That makes all kinds of sense Oli.

Everything sounds to me like something moved.

If it was consistantly off and it "just happened" and was still able to group after the event, it sounds like the issue is something mechanical rather than thermal or otherwise.

Well.......I checked all rings and bases last night.....all nice and tight. If something moved it is either the internal glass that the reticle is etched on or I somehow hit the elevation adjustment knob while handling the rifle between shots.

I won't know until I can get shooting again.

Thanks again guys for all your input......I appreciate everybody's help.

Well....it's been a long time but I finally got up to my club with my ATR and spent some time and got it driving tacks. I am very happy with how it shot today....in fact, all my buddies wanted to shoot it as well. They were very impressed with the look and feel of the gun and they thought I was pulling their leg when I told them what I paid for it. Most had never shot a .243 either and they thought it was fun....high velocity and not a lot of recoil.

It must have been me last time out.

Thanks for all your help!

Joe

Good to see she's treat'n you well!

Sometimes frustration turns out to be a shooter's worst enemy...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Good to see she's treat'n you well!

Sometimes frustration turns out to be a shooter's worst enemy...

Thanks LES.....I was definitely frustrated last time out. I enjoyed todays shooting much more. Now I am thinking about a bipod for it. :D

Back