• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Howdy from the Ozarks!

FELLOWS, PLEASE LET ME SAY THIS FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART.
I AM NOT A VET, BUT I WANT TO THANK EVERY VET ON THIS WEBSITE,
FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THIS GREAT COUNTRY, MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.
SO THANK YOU VETS, AND POLICEMEN.

RAMBO

[QUOTE="...OffGrid9--What was your rate? My brother was an HT on the OKC during that time. Chuck Nagel--sadly, we lost him in '95. He's the reason I enlisted in the Navy. We never refered to the Jersey as "The Black Dragon", I have no idea where that got started. She was always called the Big J.[/QUOTE]
Hi, BadKarma - I was a quartermaster, QM2. I was on Com7thFlt staff, which made up about 300 of the 1250 men on the Okie boat when I was there. I knew a lot of the ship's company, but never met your brother, as far as I can recall. There was a lot of friendly (...sometimes not so friendly) rivalry between the ship's company and us (they referred to us as "flag pukes"), but when we went ashore, and there was a brawl, we fought against all others, back to back, as one crew.

We had a QMCS in my section when I first came aboard the Okie boat, Feb '69...I think his name was Hurd...he retired a few months later. He had served as a seaman deuce aboard the New Jersey at the end of WWII, when she was painted dark blue, almost black, to make her nearly invisible at night. She got the nickname "Black Dragon" from that. I can't speak for the period when you knew her, but at least as late as 1969, there were still sailors who called her the Black Dragon.

Thanks guys, means a lot with all the warm welcomes.

And the Mossberg family is still growing. Picked up another 500. Since Mossberg decided to send out the new 500's without the action tube, I had been looking to get one, but the auctions were being very competitive. So while my brother and I were out shopping for his new pistol, I was looking at the shotty's. Found a pretty nice 500 with drilled and tapped receiver, nice 28" ported barrel with nice extended choke. Stock was pretty messed up, but serviceable and it had an ACTION TUBE!!!!!!! $299. Tag said it came with a case and "others". Okay, lets work it up, can I see the case? Lo and behold, a canti-lever slug barrel with........Bushnell Trophy red dot!!!!!!!

Like my Pappy always said, "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then."

Wow! I rarely get that lucky.
I'm shopping for a coach gun, but no joy yet.

What is it about me and guns with big ol' hammers? :cool:
20160221_200058.jpg
(Uberti .357 Kolt kowboy klone)

Welcome from MI and thank you for your service.

I like the avatar.

Back