What's new
Mossberg Owners

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I need some help with identifying a hole

Your property is host to a pack of yotes...this problem may be too big for even you to handle !!

WileyECoyote.jpg

You have all the classic tell-tale signs...

coyote-den1.jpg

coyote3.jpg

coyote-den.jpg

The only thing I really can't believe is that you have not seen tracks, scat ( feces ), or sighted more of them before now !! With that many, you should also hear them howling or calling ( yelping ) to each other. Signs of their kills should also be obvious...

Coyote Track
CoyotePrint.gif

I'm getting buddy over this weekend and I'm setting up a camera hopefully in the next day or so.

So let's get some opinions on how to go about this. Clearly whatever it is, there are several. Here are my ideas....I figure there's no way for me to drive them off at this point. Anything I do ca potentially make them more curious but since they're so close I really don't think it's gong to matter. So...

• Make a bait pile in a clearing and suit up, wait for them and shoot.

• Actually try calling them in. My concern here is the close range of so many dens.

• Try the soaked sponge idea

• Tie raw chicken pieces with cord to a tree to buy more time and possibly bring more than one in to scoop it up.

If you decide to call them, you're not restricted to calling them to you.

Play a recording of say a dying rabbit from a portable device, small tape recorder, etc., set in a location of your choosing. They will be drawn to the device wherever you place it. This will enable you to position yourself with wind in your favor at safe shooting distance if several decide to show themselves at once.

coyotes are smart.

They adapt very quickly.

What works today may not be effective the next time you try it.

If you're going to try multiple call sounds. Rabbit in distress works, but don't overlook a coyote pup distress call either.

Both of those calls will usually have them knocking down your door in short order. Especially if there's a female with pups around with a den close by. Momma will usually respond to that sound before she will a rabbit distress call.

Here's a fantastic sight that has a lot of downloadable MP3 calls that work well if you have an MP3 player and set of speakers for it to use as the caller.

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

I don't think this is going to resolve itself in a short amount of time (especially a single weekend). It's going to take determination on your part to make their life difficult for some time.

I recommend all of the above.

blind/call/hunt, trail cam photo's for definitive ID, sponges, den destruction, the whole enchilada.

Just make sure beforehand that it's not unlawful for you to do so.

It's not a problem here, but other places may have restrictions and I dont' want to give you any advice that would land you in trouble.

I know that baiting them with bird called a road runner works great. I seen it on a tv show. Also there's traps and stuff you can get from a company named Acme.....no really. True story bro. ;)

Shooter, I agree that it's odd. I do hear dogs barking and they sound like dogs when they do. I don't hear it often but the dog next door barks at everything. Once in a while I'll hear another dog.

I never hear howling though. I don't think I'll find tracks either. Look at the photos, everything is heavy leaves. We have a ton of squirrels and rabbits out here too. I also have no reason to ever go back there either. I meant there is literally no traffic back there at all.

I've had good luck with the little digital recorder (got last one at wally-world for a bout 20 bucks).
You can "record" a minute or so of blank sound at the beginning and then a few minutes or so of rabbit and make it loop so it puts a short break in the call periodically. For some reason that seems to work better for us than just non stop rabbit screams.

Also, some else said to put the recorder/player where you want them to come to.
Don't overlook that. Set it up just like a classic kill zone with you and a buddy firing into the pack from two blinds. Be sure you lay down overlapping fire lanes and keep your buddy in sight all the time.

Also, if one of them lies down on the ground right next to your recorder don't try to score a "head shot" and kill your recorder with a well placed .223 (how I learned Walmart sells them for about $20).

Wish I had time to come help you out the next couple weekends. This could be a huge road trip/adventure!

I too think it strange you havent heard any communication. They sound similar to a dog when they bark or "yip" but the pattern is different.

I think i can usually hear them a few miles away.

I'd come out too! Cept I'm in Ohio... ;)

Well I got to shoot at one tonight but I think I hit low. It was just about dark and it was about 45 yards away. I haven't had a chance to shoot slugs through the field gun with a mod choke (only choke I have). I was gong to shoot 00 buck but I was afraid the pattern would be too loose, especially at range. I can't find any other buck in my area by the way.

I could use buck or slugs with the 28" with a mod or the 870 with a cylinder 18 1/2.

Thoughts?

What shell were you shooting? Slugs? Or buck or something else?

I used Remington sluggers as that's all I have right now. I also have Remington 00 buck, both loads are 2 3/4. The local Walmart is really the only place that I can find buckshot and they only have rem and Winchester. The Winchester bird shots expand too much and they stick here and there do I didn't want to take the chance of wasting money on rounds that I can't use.

I'm going to check a local shop that I hear has chokes in. I'm probably going to pick up an improv cylinder and a full. Maybe an x full for buck?

Do you have any other type of weapon...?! Like a rifle...scoped.

I've taken a few yotes with my AR in .223 with a 4x scope.

Drops 'em in their tracks...literally. ( of course, as always, be wary of your backdrop... )

In the absence of a rifle, I'd stick with the slugs for any sort of range. The mod choke is alright, or even drop down to an IC.

If youre able, group a few shots in the daylight to see if you need to adjust your hold over.

I chose the shotgun because it's less likely to carry far if something went stray. I have a 7.72 and some pistols which I'm not wanting to use. I do have a 22lr also but that's a little small. I didn't really want to shoot past 40 yards to begin with. It just stepped out last night right before I was going to call it a night and I decided to take the shot. I feel like the short gun might shoot the slugs a little better. Of course the shop with the chokes is closed today also. Just my luck.

So do you have a positive ID yet?

I guess a corpse would be the surest way of identification, but just be careful you don't end up popping a neighbor's dog in the failing light...

^^^ also..have you checked in with the neighbors? see if they have any info on it. maybe they have seen something....

I have viewed the pictures and taken measurements. I can confidently identify, with some degree of certainty, the creatures that occupies the holes in question. I hereby announce to the world and to you (in this forum) that the holes are made and occupied by none other than the worlds most sought after cryptozoological specimen. The holes are made by a pack of CHUPACABRA!

I cannot be sure but they look like coyote borrows to me.

When I read the title: The first thought that came to my mind was: "Tell me what seat in Congress or House of Reps they hold and I will tell you the a--holes name.

Send a Chihuahua into the hole. If it does not come out, It is probably a fox in the hole.
Send a beagle into the hole. If it does not come out, It is probably a coyote.
Send a pitbull into the hole. If it does not come out. Your life is in danger

Today was the first day that I haven't see anything. I put some turkey out yesterday like I said and looked today. Every But of it was gone down to the last shred. This is after I shot at it too.

I haven't talked to anyone else about it. There really isn't a lot of talking between the houses. However, I was going to talk to the parents at the kids bus stop about it.

J.L., no need for the nonsense.

One of the great things that attracted me to this forum was the members sense of humor. I guess not all of us have it.

Its a coyote.