• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I need some help with identifying a hole

I have a sense of humor. Some people just aren't funny ;)

But seriously, it just seemed like you were just trying to poke fun. No worries.

Ok guys,

A couple others, myself included, have already chimed in with silly responses a one point or another. From my perspective it looks like J.L. was just following suit. Let's not let a mis-understanding derail this helpful and otherwise very interesting thread any further.

I for one am looking forward to updates on your varmint situation...

Agree with Lazy! It's hard to tell when people are joking over the Internet especially when you don't know them! I like this thread and want the updates also!! Carry on please! :) And I also enjoy the humor (including the dog versus predator joke from JL)

To clarify, I wasn't upset about it. It just seemed over the top so I didn't pick it up as humor but rather a shot so it seemed. That's the loss of emotion through text. All is well though. I don't think anyone here is actually going to let these little things get out of hand anyway.

On topic, I picked up the trail camera last night but I realized that I don't have the sim card in it do there's going to be more of a delay.

Last night the lady went to go outside to smoke and opened the door and it was standing about ten feet in front of the door. She slammed the door yelling and it was gone by the time I got to the door. My son was a bit noisy last night and sometimes makes odd high pitched noises so I think it may have been attracted to the sounds. Kind of intense.

Wow,

This thing is pretty brazen coming that close to the house. It would seem that the sooner you can deal with this situation the better.

I still wouldn't discount getting animal control or a local wildlife management agency involved. The pros will have valuable insight/techniques to offer that will help reduce your personal risk in dealing with these critters alone.

Ok that is a little close. You should set traps at night around you perimeter of the house .I have seen Duke Traps work well
untitled-1.jpg

Let the neighbors know not to let their dogs wonder on to your place. Go out in the morning and cap them or pick up the traps for the day and reset them at night. We had a wild dog infestation at one time and I used to sit on the roof at night for hours with a shotgun, a 22 rifle and a flashlight…..they never look up ….and neighbors were a mile off through thick forest so no real problem for stray bullets. If you are going to lay dead for them just be patient and wait for the good shot or don’t take it because they will soon be aware they are being hunted so make those shots count…..shot placement is king and I got as many with a 22 as a shotgun.

Here is a suggestion: Academy sells varmint traps. (they run about $34.00 cage type traps)
Once in a while I set one or two up on my property to see what is out there. I have caught squirrels, dogs, cats, opossums, raccoons, nutria, jack rabbits, and skunks with it. I just release them once they are caught. (no harm to the varmint.) One word of warning. Develop a way to open the trap door from a distance. (I use a rope) I found this out the hard way when I caught the first skunk.
I hope this helps.

Lol! I sooo know what you mean about your sons high pitch noises!! That made me laugh! If that's the case, maybe it's better off I don't live in the woods or else my 4 boys would have the whole damn forest at our back door!! <--- not sarcasm, lol. That's scary. Really. Is your wife freaking out!? I would be! And if she's like me, not being able to let the kids play outside is driving her crazy, sometimes that's my only sanity!

I talked to some people about the wild life guys and from what I'm told, they just trap the animals and transport them and release. I dot think they're going to be much help anyway. Although I was actually thinking about getting on the roof myself but I think there are too many trees in the way. I'll have to get up there and look for spots. I was thinking that or a tree stand closer to them.

I'm still a little uneasy about traps right now. I'm going to try to setup somewhere first and see what happens.

She's fine by the way. She got a little freaked out because she hasn't seen it/them yet.

Sometimes people here use twine or some sort of soft cord snares set between the fence and the ground where they pass through the most. That way if something domesticated is caught then they shouldn’t be too worse for wear. You could go in the day and set snares at the mouth of the hole.

This is getting really good!
I can hardly wait to see pics of the yote all laid out dead!

Also, I don't mind all saying, "I told you so."
Coyotes have generally gotten habituated to man over the past few years (maybe 10?) and are brazen about coming right in your yard.

Go do a google search for Coyote attacks and you'll find MANY news accounts of them trying to drag off children and about them catching and eating pets.

I know that in the wild they serve a useful and important job. I get that.
In my yard? They're DEAD without hesitation.

I recommend you go pick up a M'berg 100 ATR in .243 or .270 (makes a great deer rifle when not killing yotes) and end this. Perhaps you and a buddy and stake out the den tomorrow night and eliminate this threat - or (more realistically) at least let them know they've become the prey.

I think this was where I can into the conversation when it first started...
"Yote wars..." That would be a good TV show :lol:

I'm actually going hog hunting tomorrow but we're trying to get time to actually setup a day to try ad get these guys to come out. I'm thinking about getting a decoy as well. Funny that you mention the atr as I've been looking at them lately.

Chris111 said:
I'm actually going hog hunting tomorrow but we're trying to get time to actually setup a day to try ad get these guys to come out. I'm thinking about getting a decoy as well. Funny that you mention the atr as I've been looking at them lately.

What a GREAT gun. I own [undisclosed number] of them in several calibers.
You will love the ATR and so will the yotes!

The Mossberg rifles, I've heard nothing but good about!

Alot of people discount them because they arent as fancy or dont have high end features... I still want one and our local WalMart always has them for very reasonable prices!

Only thing I dont like is lack of irons on them. All are scope mount ready with no back up.

Snares are a good idea especially if anyone else is close. We've used traps like what Oli posted, and had an animal run off with one trap and one "ran off" less one leg. Theyre helpful if you have them and you can often find them at flea markets or auctions. I think the ones my in laws have all came from auction.

One being that close is bad news, and yeah I think "yote wars" is appropriate here. It tough when where we live overlaps where they live. But lets face it, they dont have thumbs or firearms, so they have to go, they get evicted.

A coyote that doesnt fear humans anymore, and worse, an entire pack that has grown and learned to not fear humans is all bad. I dont know what your winters are like, but when food gets scarce, they'll be closer still. Maybe just your garbage, maybe neighbor pets, or another young cow. But what happens when you make provision to cut all that off and deny them accesss?

I dont wanna be all "the sky is falling" but look ahead. Theyre smart, but predictable.

The advantage of using traps is they are hunting even when you are not.

If you set a trap up, I usually dig a little hole and put some food in the hole and place the trap on top of it so the animal has to work a little to get to it. If they have to put their paw through the jaws of the trap to get to it, even better.

I understand if you don't want to use a trap, but they do have their advantages.

Rossignol, I usually use a piece of a dog chain to secure the trap to a nearby tree. You won't lose any traps like that unless it breaks the tree or the chain (neither of which have never happened to me)

John good idea!

We used fresh butchered chicken and just the chain and spike attached to the trap

You're welcome.

I've done it once or twice. ;)

We were setting the traps to catch whatever was getting into the chickens. I didnt think they needed to be better anchored, but we were wrong! :lol:

My inlaws would see coyotescrossing the field nearly every morning as the sun was just coming up and not quite above the horizon...

Beautiful sight, but ... well, coyotes. Killers. Destroying livestock and income in the way of eggs and chickens bred for trade and barter for things like meat and fresh milk. They wiped out an entire pen of chickens, about 300. They didnt make off with them all, but the chickens got so worked up tryin to escape that they inadvertently killed themselves, some were just quite literally scared to death.

That sounds wild. It's a shame that chickens are so sensitive.

Funny story...I was pulling out on to the main drag and there was a dead coyote on the side of the road. I guess he stepped out in front of a car. He was a big one too. I also talked to the ladies dad and he randomly told me about the same coyote in the road. He was saying that he saw two of them standing n the middle of his street around 4 am not long ago. The odd part is that he lives in a subdivision that's well kept. No land, just houses on top of each other. It's also about 8 miles away from where we live.

Back