• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

If you had to pick just 1 rifle & 1 handgun for SHTF which would you pick ?

SHTF can take many forms. One of those being that what you start out with may not be what you acquire as it progresses. But I'll take the bait. Pictures say more than words. Since you left out shotguns, I'd go with the below. Why these? Reliability & accuracy. For food, protection, and ammo carrying capacity. That said, in my case it would not boil down to what I could haul around since I'm already where I'm gonna be till I'm dead and buried. :)

My Win 9422 magnum

Win9422M.jpg~original

And my Ruger .41 Mag NMBH

Ruger.jpg~original

Too many variables. I have a hard time choosing.

If I was on the run I'd say AR-15 and glock 19 due to reliability and availability of ammo.

If I was hunkered down and was hunting I'd probably go 930 for versatility in game procurement and rapid fire JIC I was being hunted back.

Water.... If i didn't have my Tavor I would be with you on the AR ..... very versatile & adaptable for hunting or self defense.....good choice with tbe G19 too

If we are going with what I have... For the fight i'd probably rely on my GARAND. I'm currently retrofitting it to be in a scout configuration with a Long eye relief scope with quick detach rings.

Don't worry purists. I'm also looking to get another one and making it national match quality.

I'm a helleva shot with my G19. My last IDPA comp I was 8th overall of 30+ participants.

I think what many don't recognize is that the caca has been hitting the fan for at least 10,000 years. We're just so used to it that it's just business as usual. ;)

If you don't believe that, just take a few minutes to look thru history. :)

If we are going with what I have... For the fight i'd probably rely on my GARAND. I'm currently retrofitting it to be in a scout configuration with a Long eye relief scope with quick detach rings.
yeah dude , its dual purpose you can pole vault your little ass across most any creek crossing , shoulder it and kill the grizzly taking a drink on the other bank

yeah dude , its dual purpose you can pole vault your little ass across most any creek crossing , shoulder it and kill the grizzly taking a drink on the other bank

Lol I can also sky dive off a penny too.

You haven't lived unless you are so short you have to reach UP to tie your shoes.

Yup, quite an "open" question you have posted. ;) But here in the US it would be have to be an AR rifle in 5.56 and a 1911 in .45ACP. :D

And even though you didn't ask, a shotgun in 12ga, perhaps a Mossy 500? :) Shotguns can adapt to the mission with different length barrels and stock configurations--28" hunting barrel with full-size stock, black-powder barrel, rifled barrel with slugs and cut-down cylinder bore barrel with pistol grip (for concealment). As far as ammo, mission-specific rounds can be constructed (ie: flechette rounds) because "legality" of such rounds will no longer be an issue (same with short-barrel anything).

When the SHTF, ammo WILL be a currency. ALL the military calibers will have value: 9mm Kurz (.380 ACP), 9mm, 5.56 (.223), 7.63x39, 7.62x51 (.308), 30.06 and .45 ACP. Shotgun rounds will also be valuable, specifically 12ga, 20ga and .410". And of course "law enforcement" calibers such as .38 Spl, .357 Mag and .40 S&W. Also valuable will be "specialty" hunting/sniper calibers such as .338 Lapua, .270, .300 Mag, 10mm, .44 Spl, .44 Mag. and .50 BMG. And you can't discount the value of the smaller calibers such as .22 LR (duh! :rolleyes: ;)), .25 ACP, .32 ACP, .17 HMR, .22 Mag, 5.7 and also air rifles in any caliber. I probably missed many calibers but I think you get the idea. In a SFTF scenario, a box of 30-30 will NOT be worth more to me than a box of .223 (for example).

Reloading components and explosives will have great value. Lead may even become more valuable than gold! Could you even cast a decent bullet out of gold or alloy thereof? :D

Other than two bolt action .22s, all I have are three Lee-Enfield .303" cal. rifles when it comes to rifles over .22" cal., so it'd be most likely one of them (probably one my No.4 Mk.I*) and all I have is a few revolvers for handguns, so I'd grab my S&W M&P .38 Special...
Mark

There again it all goes back to what $hit has hit the fan, Ive got an LBV loaded with 6 AR mags and 6, 1911 mags ready to roll. So in a battle situation thats what i would grab. But ive also got a case full of loaded AK mags. So to rephrase your original question. If i had to choose only one handgun, and one rifle, from my collection to keep knowing that they could never be taken away, and that i could never aquire anymore. It would have to be the AK, and the 1911

Back