• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Improved Mossberg Elevator

blacksmith

.270 WIN
The Mossberg elevator is a unique design. The skeleton elevator, also known as a carrier, folds flat against the bolt and locking block. This eliminates the dreaded "flap" found on other shotguns.

Unfortunately this elevator was designed for mass production and not high performance. We have read too many complaints from our members about this part. After some R&D work we found a solution. This how-to article will show you how to make your own Improved Mossberg Elevator.

The stamped steel piece has two major issues.

#1. Rough / Bumpy surface when loading.

#2. Jam when manually unloading shotgun.

To fix these problems you'll need to remove the elevator and have a metal file handy. When done correctly these modifications cannot and will not affect the robust reliability of these shotguns. This is achieved since we are only working on the bottom of the elevator and we have plenty of material to work with. When finished the loading & unloading of your shotgun will have improved dramatically.

Go slow and install at intervals for test fit. We can always remove material, but cannot add anymore!

Step #1. Bevel the bottom of the finger. It is a sharp 90 degree angle. Your job is to eliminate this nasty angle.

Step #2. Bevel the bottom of the bump. Only the bump is necessary. Stop filing before you get into the top side.

Step #3. Lay file flat across finger and bump. File both the finger and the bump simultaneously.

Optional:

Step #4. Polish filed areas. Unnecessary but every little bit helps.

Step #5. Use touch-up blueing on filed areas (matte parkerized only).

Step #6. The locking block is a large, heavy piece of rough cast steel. It is very strong and very rough. The rim of the shell rides down the valley of the locking block when loading. File / Polish the 90 degree angle where the shell contacts the block.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pqvGbh]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pqxc6c]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pqxc48]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p93WvA]
[/url][/url][/url][/url]

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

I'm looking forward to see how it works out for people having a problem with the elevator.

I was thinking of something like that on the bump and was warned off. I may go ahead now. thanks !

will do. but it might be awhile as I first need to get out and put some rounds through it. also need to see how these issue actually bother me or not.

I am always looking for ways to "Slick Up" my 500's.
I guess I just cannot see where I will benefit from doing this.
Can someone tell me why I need to do this and what it fixes.
Sorry dont mean to sound like an idiot, I just cannot see what this will fix.
Thanks

Two issues I have are addressed by this fix though I have not fixed anything yet. One is when loading there is a slight catch or hang up caused by that tab. Smoothing or beveling it a bit fixes that issue. The other is that when manually unloading, the shell hangs up on the bump thus requiring you to do an extra move of having to lift the shell up over the bump to get it out. So to some this is not an issue. Either they got used to it or it don't bother them.
Or their gun just doesn't do it as some have mentioned. So you just choose from their.

I recently stumbled on a thread here on the forum that showed how to modify the lifter on a Mossberg 500 so it would be more reliable. I thought I put the thread on my desktop, but obviously failed to do it. Now I can't seem to find the thread. Can you help? Anybody?

Well, I just completed the mod. Results? Can't see any difference in loading shells into the magazine, cycling shells into the chamber or cycling to unload the magazine. :rolleyes: But I'm not complaining because I love to work on my firearms and this is just one more modification that will assure me whatever the original "problem" was, it won't be one in the future. ;)

Nope................but now I won't, for certain!
emo29.gif
emo30.gif

Yup, I was trying to be. My real point was that I enjoy working on my firearms and anything that will make them operate more effectively and smoothly I'm willing to do...........even if I didn't have a specific problem in the beginning. I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone not do the modification.

yea, I like fiddling also. but I do want and need to know what I'm doing, why I'm doing it and what I expect afterwards.
I was surprised at the big difference it made in just lubing my 500. I use mobil 1 eng oil. near day and night. same with my redhawk.
I did nothing but lube it. I thought it was smooth before but again a huge difference afterwards.
so I will shoot a few hundred rounds through the 500. then I will know what the issues are if they are still there and if I need to really do the mods
and if I do I will know the difference.

blacksmith,
I like the look of the locking block being polished. Was this done by stepping down through the sandpapers and then hitting it with a few compounds on the buffing wheel?

Back