• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Just picked up a 500 Cruiser/Persuader

So what shot recommendations do y'all have for my wife? Only gun she's ever shot is a .22 rimfire.
But she's the one that wanted me to get a Home Defense shotgun in a case of me not being home when trouble should arrive.

Read this today...
The 12 gauge shotgun is the most devastating and lethal weapon yet devised for inflicting rack and ruin at close range. A safe bet for ammunition selection is to use the 2-3/4-inch 00 buckshot load. The impact of one of these shot shells is essentially equivalent to getting hit with a nine round burst from a submachine gun.

Last edited:
I don't load anything smaller than 00 buck in my defensive shotguns.

There are reduced recoil 00 buck loads available that can help with a recoil sensitive shooter. However a little training and practice on proper fundamentals, especially shooting stance, will enable a smaller shooter with a slight build to tame even high power 12 gauge recoil. This video from Rob Haught is a good place to start...

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/rob-haught-push-pull-video.11349/

The technique shown in the video will make a world of difference. I regularly put 150-250 rounds of full power 00 buck into targets in a single range trip without so much as a bruise on my shoulder...

I just re-read the thread title and your initial post. "Cruiser" makes a world of difference in the equation, so disregard my last in lieu of the following...

Step 1 - Put a stock on the shotgun.

Step 2 - Read the previous post.

It's going to take someone a lot smarter than me to figure out a way to make a pistol grip only 12 gauge shotgun comfortable enough for your wife to want to shoot more than once or twice, let alone practice with enough to become comfortable with her ability to use the shotgun effectively in a defensive scenario. Putting a stock on it changes the game...

Picked up the 500 pistol grip online for $340
I wasn't happy with the hard plastic factory grip when I got it. Took it out today for some trials with different loads, 8 bird shot, 5 and 00. (ouch!} It only reassured me to change the grip because my wrist was hurting by the time I left the range. It just did not ergonomically fit me so I ordered a more cushioned, Hogue grip today with a better fit angle for $25 with free shipping.

The Hogue grip is far better than the Mossy factory grip, which is junk. A world of difference with the Hogue, their forends are pretty good too.

Back