• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Little Help here

Trijicon MRO or 458 SOCOM or 375 SOCOM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
the big bores intrigue me ......

electronic sights are the cats pajamas

however I have a very nice set of GG&G irons that are all a guy needs

I have nothing 458, no powder that works (magnum pistol), no brass, no dies, no projos

The 375 takes rifle powder, 556 powder at that and I have a ton of that but its a necked down 458 so no brass no dies and no projos

the idea would be just to rebarrel my pistol upper , eventually build its own or another upper for the 556 stuff

the MRO is wide view and light weight , Trijicon uses forged 7075 halves for the body and weld them together just like the ACOG and we all know those are tough as hell

really cant decide , need help

populate this thread with all your thoughts on the subject , any and all opinions welcome

The .458 SOCOM (11.63×40mm) is a moderately large round designed for a specialized upper receiver that can be mounted on any AR-15 pattern lower receiver. The 300-grain round offers a muzzle velocity of 1,900 ft/s and 2,405 ft·lbf , similar to .45-70 but with a much smaller case suited to a semiautomatic action.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.458_SOCOM

http://www.tromix.com/458-socom-parts-1.html

The .375 SOCOM is a fairly new cartridge, designed by Tromex in 2013. Taking a .458 SOCOM cartridge case and sizing the neck down to .375 caliber, resulted in a hard hitting AR-15 compatible cartridge, that has a considerable velocity and range advantage over the .458 SOCOM as well as other big bore AR-15 cartridges. Unknown to most, the .375 SOCOM has a sizeable case capacity, nearly 60 grains, that is on par with the .308 Winchester.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/375_SOCOM

http://www.tromix.com/375-socom-parts.html

http://tacticalgunreview.com/trijicon-mro-aimpoint-killer/

rebuild or red dot

Last edited:
Damn that 458 punches through!!!

What's easier to reload? What's a more economical build to you?

Damn that 458 punches through!!!

What's easier to reload? What's a more economical build to you?

at the end of the day the MRO will be cheaper, once a 458 has its own upper , dies , brass and such

the 458 feedback is interesting. some say its a tough reload and others say its ne different than anything else

375 is going to be more inclusive at first because 458 cases need to be necked down to 375......

way way big projectile selection for the 458.....it uses most all 45-70 projectiles

375 will be a more spendy reload

I would say the 458 is easier to reload for

Well the MRO is universal. More useable. Do you have a specific intent for a big bite cartridge? Or just want something new to play with?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Well the MRO is universal. More useable. Do you have a specific intent for a big bite cartridge? Or just want something new to play with?

yeah, the MRO is more useable for sure

I think its something to play with that will drop anything walking in the free world ......might get a hankering to buy a bear tag .....lion, elk , deer .....car block.....bricks.....

I had the same jones for .50 beowulf for a while. Just one of those, cause I can situations...

After much deliberation.... And dealing with a cranky female toddler....

I voted 458 socom.

Because, 'Merica.

I went with the 458 socom. I shot my buddies Rock River Arms AR in that caliber. It was at my gun club so we were stuck with paper targets but the craters in the dirt behind it sold me. The energy behind that round was ass kickin'. It was a sweet shooting gun. I'll ask him how it went reloading for it and report back.

Didn't vote. Mainly because I know of NOTHING about the mro so I didn't want to sway the poll.

The 375 seems to take more work (necking) and I also don't know about projo availablity.

It would seem to me that if you want 308'ish ballistics, it would be easier to move up to AR10 in 308 in the long run and that would open you up to all kinds of new calibers that the AR15 will never be able to fit in the magwell.

As for 458, anything 45-70 ballistics makes me grin. You know the round is more than capable since it throws 3 pound lead chunks downrange when you pull the trigger.

So what are you left with?

Ha!

I talked myself out of it...
thats what I am doing but its not so easy. Went to a good friends house for dinner last night he made some good points for the MRO ......

I'll ask him how it went reloading for it and report back.
thanks man.......
when you shot it did you have to own one ?

Didn't vote. Mainly because I know of NOTHING about the mro so I didn't want to sway the poll.

The 375 seems to take more work (necking) and I also don't know about projo availablity.

It would seem to me that if you want 308'ish ballistics, it would be easier to move up to AR10 in 308 in the long run and that would open you up to all kinds of new calibers that the AR15 will never be able to fit in the magwell.

As for 458, anything 45-70 ballistics makes me grin. You know the round is more than capable since it throws 3 pound lead chunks downrange when you pull the trigger.

So what are you left with?
sounds about right and the .375 projo's are not as numerous .....mostly cost more money......

freaking brass for 458 is 75 bucks for 100!

As much as I'd love seeing your build, and load development, for the big caliber. I'm gonna go with the MRO. seems a better overall investment. That's just where I would allot the money if it was in my hand. I'm currently debating an optic for a Tavor. The buddy I bought it from had a PRO in it. But I'm intrigued by the M21 Meprolight. He's letting me put the PRO back on it for awhile. See if it sells me.

....freaking brass for 458 is 75 bucks for 100!

It's the war.

I don't know how or why it's the war, but that's just what we used to say back in the Vietnam days if something was expensive or there was a shortage: "It's the war."

Price of beer goes up? . . . "It's the war."

Anyhow, I have my wife and grandkids trained to pick up brass at the range now; especially any large cals.

As much as I'd love seeing your build, and load development, for the big caliber. I'm gonna go with the MRO. seems a better overall investment. That's just where I would allot the money if it was in my hand. I'm currently debating an optic for a Tavor. The buddy I bought it from had a PRO in it. But I'm intrigued by the M21 Meprolight. He's letting me put the PRO back on it for awhile. See if it sells me.

the money is probably going to come in close to black friday.....this is the most sensible choice.This is the the choice a Vulcan would make . I am probably 51% Vulcan
I like that Mepro and often wonder how I would like it on my pistol because it is actually a little bigger glass than the Eo . I read that they were developed for the Tavor , what a sweet set up that would be . Bull pups are just killer I cant believe I don't have one.

I have two shooting buddies telling me I would be stupid to build a 458 over a Blackout......

I understand 458 for cool factor. Kinda why I want to build a 6.5 Creedmore bolt gun. I've got standard calibers, just as effective, but it would be fun. When my buddy told me he was ready to part with the Tavor, an asked if I wanted it, I couldn't say no.

Oli, in knowing how you tick, I'm sure you've already researched enough to know which direction you want to go.

Where are you leaning?

As for the blackout, it's a nice cartridge, and works really well for how I use my guns.

But it ain't no 45-70 equivalent either.

Oli, in knowing how you tick, I'm sure you've already researched enough to know which direction you want to go.

Where are you leaning?

As for the blackout, it's a nice cartridge, and works really well for how I use my guns.

But it ain't no 45-70 equivalent either.
I am leaning toward the sight . I built an MK18 wanna be and its no slouch purpose built. No need to look back.

I went through this before I bought the Eo , so it feels like I got a redo.

as far as the 300.....I like them , I think they are about unbeatable for how you have yours but I think I would rather try a X39 upper....

maybe I'll look for a VZ58 ! :laugh:

I'll send you a PM about my 300 so I don't hijack the crap out of your thread, but I got something in the works for it.

x39 is a good round. I might have 1 or more guns that uses it. But if I were going that way, I'd skip the drama and go with an SKS or AK for the win.

So, you're leaning towards the MRO?

Back