• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Little Help here

Trijicon MRO or 458 SOCOM or 375 SOCOM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
oli~

If it were me, and you know that reloading doesn't scare me off, I would avoid the two cartridges and go with the MRO. I guess because I hate acquiring expensive brass or brass that is laborious to process or to produce. And also because I still want to put a good red dot on my Scorpion which hasn't happened yet.

The one reason I haven't jumped into .300 Blackout is because of the brass processing issue (or the purchase of Blackout brass).

So .458 SOCOM brass costs $75/100... and .375 SOCOM is a gnarly bitch to make ready for reloading? No thanks.

Speaking only for myself, I can't enjoy shooting something that I feel compelled in the back of my mind the need to keep count of just how expensive each shot cost me.

I've been loading the 300 for a little while, but with the cast/powder coated bullets aren't bad at all.

blk%20reloads%20003_zpsu5xzou8t.jpg

And some recovered out of my backstop

recovered%20leatherhead%20002_zps0ylpi7wf.jpg

I think the Leatherhead 223 grain bullets are $65 shipped for 500, and that isn't a lot worse than loading 500 .223 bullets. Last I ordered, the hornady 55 gr fmjs were $10/100.

Plus shipping.

So depending on what you're loading into the 300 brass, they aren't too bad.

Unless you're going to stick with loading the big heavy match 308 bullets (which is short for "they cost a lot").

Or the Lehigh copper bullets, which I would like to get a hold of some to keep in my HD mag, but they're $77/50.

So .458 SOCOM brass costs $75/100... and .375 SOCOM is a gnarly bitch to make ready for reloading? No thanks.

Speaking only for myself, I can't enjoy shooting something that I feel compelled in the back of my mind the need to keep count of just how expensive each shot cost me.
lol. i have already started counting and didn't even fire a round.

ok going sight

RDS or 1.5-4 Leupold Mark AR ?

Mark Ar only 9.5 oz , no astigmatism issues, zoom ...........appealing to my older eyes

thanks man.......
when you shot it did you have to own one ?

It was like when I got a ride in a 65' Vette ragtop. I had to have it but the economics killed me. In this case it was the ammo price. When I wanted a larger bore I went with an AR-10 which I already had ammo and reload.

I did hear back and my buddy that owns the socom hasn't loaded any yet so nothing to report there.

Enjoy the new optic!

I love my Leupold AR Mod. 1 scope. Just rock solid and clear, and the battery lasts forever.

But 1.5-4x isn't enough for me to shoot 100yds comfortably.

If I keep the AR, it will get a target scope and the AR Model 1 will wind up back on this .22 rifle

20151229_215035_resized.jpg

I love my Leupold AR Mod. 1 scope. Just rock solid and clear, and the battery lasts forever.

But 1.5-4x isn't enough for me to shoot 100yds comfortably.

If I keep the AR, it will get a target scope and the AR Model 1 will wind up back on this .22 rifle

View attachment 13054
I know you shoot the crap out of that gun, Id be interested in an official Caddmann review ......or a link if you did one here already, pictures too please

I checked one out today without the firedot and wow so damn light and great Leupold glass, I would be on the fence about the 1.5x with no illumination but with the Leupold firedot that I have seen in other scopes I think two eye open shooting on 1.5 would be fine......not red dot fine but fine enough for panic shooting

I am grateful to be able to make hits fine at 100 yards with no magnification. there is a big diference grouping at 100 and making hits but I seem to be able to group with 4 power ......the Leupold is not truly 4x either its like 3.7 or something.
I never see a red dot crisply no matter the price point . Plenty effective with it but if I illuminate my 1-6 I feel as fast but way less forgiving than a red dot .

Oli, that Henry .22 is the smoothest lever gun I've ever shot. Hell, its about the smoothest gun of any type I've ever used and one of the smoothest of machines or tools.

All that being said I'm no expert at this business. I don't have a long history with a variety of guns.

Also I really don't shoot well enough to give you a good idea about the accuracy of anything I'm doing.

The targets I shot today look pretty crappy. But for once I was actually out in the woods shooting at a dead tree instead of shooting paper from a concrete bench.

The scope is top notch. The turrets are very precise and positive. If it was a 9x I'd like it more, but apart from that, the only thing I'd like to do is get the real Leupold scope covers for it.

I also have a Leupold VX-1 and the Leupold Ventana 60x spotter. Just wonderful, the both of them, at least for my purposes.

Back