• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Looking for a new front sight...

No more duck hunting down here unless you are in a boat. I shore hunt ducks in East Haven.
Long beach is still pretty desolate. Short beach is always packed.

Still remember biting down on bird shot duck while eating local cherry stones and steamers (pitch fork and laundry basket) from the sand bars as a kid on Cedar beach. There was a time before Silver Sands was developed and the jetties put in place that changed the shifting sand that you could walk from Milford point to Charles Island during low tide. The under tow is still dangerous, but I've waded out and taken many a bluefish with 1 oz. Kast Masters at the edge of the Housatonic River. Neighbors would dragnet "chubs" a little fish in the brackish water and deep fry them. It was an amazing place to be in the late 60's and 70's. Never felt so in touch with nature as a kid. Bonfire with drift wood on the beach as Stratford Light swept the beach with its beacon at night. Wish I could go back in time.

As a kid my father would take us to Pleasure Beach, way before the bridge burned down. Fishing off the pier was always so much fun with him. Stripers and Sea Robins were always on the lines. Every now and then we would hook an eel or a sand shark and cook it for dinner in some tomato sauce. Childhood memories I have not had in oh so many years. Thanks for putting the smile on my face :)

What? Can't let 2 old guys go over the old days, whippersnapper? When I was your age I had a nail for a front sight and had to walk 10 miles to go to school in the snow............

So I think someone asked what bead would have been factory and that should have been a brass bead.

Now shoot the darn thing. I think I put about 20 boxes of 25 through my 1985 500A in the first few weeks after buying it new. A 500 without smoke coming out of the barrel is time wasted. What's the pre-fix serial # on that 500? Looks like an 80's, early 90's popgun. But then again, that's instinct on my part. Kinda liked the Philips head sight. Have an AKM that I couldn't free up the front sight to raise it to zero (as zero as you can with an AK)
it in at 100 yards. For years I had a piece of a ballpoint pen cartridge slid over the sight post to raise it up. That worked for years until Kroil and a good sight wrench finally broke the front sight threads free to raise the front sight pin.

I just got one of these on my 500 SP and liking it so far, made by Trueglo call there Home defense sights.
20150905_222724.jpg

Now shoot the darn thing. I think I put about 20 boxes of 25 through my 1985 500A in the first few weeks after buying it new. A 500 without smoke coming out of the barrel is time wasted. What's the pre-fix serial # on that 500? Looks like an 80's, early 90's popgun. But then again, that's instinct on my part. Kinda liked the Philips head sight. Have an AKM that I couldn't free up the front sight to raise it to zero (as zero as you can with an AK)
it in at 100 yards. For years I had a piece of a ballpoint pen cartridge slid over the sight post to raise it up. That worked for years until Kroil and a good sight wrench finally broke the front sight threads free to raise the front sight pin.

I've been half tempted to pull off a few living room pop's. Don't think the second floor neighbors would appreciate it as much as I would though. Squares I tell ya!
I don't have the luxury of being able to go out back to fire weapons here like I did at back home.
I was able to put a box through her a couple weekends ago with no front sight on just to make sure everything functioned properly.
But for now it comes to the public hunting land with me, just need these damn squirrels to cooperate a bit better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, neighbors upstairs wouldn't understand when you blast a few rounds into a bail of newspapers to test it out. Every time I take my rifles to the range all the curtains in the condos where I live are slowly pulled back. I close the trunk of my car and take a bow. It's like that when you're a postal worker.

Back