• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

M1 Barreled Receiver - Korean War Build **VIDEO**

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
Scored a barreled receiver for a build next year from a member on the CMP forum. CMP cert, 4.8M serial number, excellent condition, barrel is like new with great specs (1 ME, 3 TE).

29402829086_df7749539d_z.jpg

29402828746_825e4c39d7_z.jpg

29437076195_2cec7be88c_z.jpg

29437076025_6fee57602e_z.jpg

Picks up mic... drops it again. Slow walk off stage like a boss.

Water Monkey

UPDATE 12-4-2016 - BUILD COMPLETE

31053943220_84ea63912c_z.jpg

31308446071_32b0605dbc_z.jpg

31308443631_727e898755_z.jpg

31308440921_181f463164_z.jpg

31902229776_cc58962952_z.jpg

1 HOUR VIDEO OF THE BUILD FROM START TO FINISH... BRING POPCORN:

Last edited:
Never have built one, but will be following your progress with great interest.

Like a boss.... damn right.

That is one clean looking action with great specs.

SCORE!!!!!!!

You

Are

AWESOME

You

Are

AWESOME

lol

I have like 90% of what I need for the build...today. All I need is a rear sight base, rear sight cover, wood stock, metal for the wood stock and a clip latch/spring, Front sight.

But I'm saving up and trying to build this thing primarily from NOS components. A shooter it shall be.

Nice, tagging this to make sure I catch future progress.

Quick update. By next week I should have everything I need less a stock to put her together.

Picked up some new old stock parts I need to soak in mineral spirits and clean up.

I'm thinking probably after the new year I'll have a stock with metal and me and my step son will put it all together.

you need to somehow convert that into a rifle ......then sell it , buy a real rifle :chaingun:

seriously though , once I saw the MiniG, no other Garand is as cool

Agreed.

While I still like garands, sorry that would be an understatement so let me rephrase that.

While I love garands, I think that watermonkey has the coolest garand in the world.

you need to somehow convert that into a rifle ......then sell it , buy a real rifle :chaingun:

seriously though , once I saw the MiniG, no other Garand is as cool
Agreed.

While I still like garands, sorry that would be an understatement so let me rephrase that.

While I love garands, I think that watermonkey has the coolest garand in the world.

LOL thanks guys. But seriously with the laws in NY... I'm not neutering an AR. I literally would have to build an AR with a fixed magazine or a thordsden stock to be NY compliant.... yeah... no.

But I have to agree. The Mini G is a sweet shooter.

A little update. I just looked up the serial number and found out it was produced for the Korean War. My wife's father who passed several years ago was a sailor in the Korean War. This project just took on a new level of a special meaning.

I may try to hunt down post war parts and make it as relatively complete for the time period as humanly possible. I have to rummage through what I have already and my other rifles to see if I have most of the time period correct parts on hand.

The receiver already has the period correct original barrel with both having the original finish... So this project is starting off strong!

Well done.

I have a friend, Charlie, who is 85 years young this year who also served in Korea and Vietnam in the big red one, 1st infantry division. He retired out as Sargeant Major. And a good friend.

He volunteers at the school as a school bus monitor and will often walk very young children to their door as they get off the bus if their parents aren't standing there waiting on them at the bus stop(s).

He also brings a whole walmart bag of suckers and chewing gun to school to give out to the kids each day. You can tell by watching him just how much enjoyment he gets from seeing those children running to him.

did a quick inventory of my past big parts purchase and I was savvy enough to purchase most of my New Old Stock (NOS) parts from the correct era the rifle was built.

Basically my entire internal set is period correct. I need to verify if any of my op rods are period correct. If not I have a practically brand new criterion 30-06 barrel I can trade on the CMP forums for.

I don't believe any of my bolts are period correct.

I bought a NOS gas cylinder from a CMP member a few months ago. Need to verify if that's period correct.

Clip latch and spring are period correct.

Rear sight base is period correct. My NOS elevation pinion and windage knob may be I need to check this weekend.

I need to look at my trigger housings to see if any are period correct. I think I may have a couple that are.

Items I know I need to get period correct so far:

Hammer
Rear sight cover
Front sight screw
Safety
Bolt
Follower Rod

I'm a lot farther along than I thought!

Did a full inventory of my parts and reviewed what I needed for period correct parts.

Listed what I needed and I'm in the midst of 2 trades to bring me up to having all period correct parts minus a stock.

I can take a pic in a few days.

Serial number is 4,36x,xxx which traces out to 1953. Barrel had stampings consistent with 1950s markings as well which I double checked yesterday as I was logging in some parts dated for that time period

Back