• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

M1 Barreled Receiver - Korean War Build **VIDEO**

Waiting on a trade to go through. I placed another parts order for items I can't get in trade. I'm basically at the end of my Garand budget for the year... All I need is a stock. I'm torn between spending some coin and getting a period correct USGI stock or a real nice commercial stock from Dean's Guns Restoration. Either one will run me some decent coin.

Moved this thread to the appropriate forum for "builds".

Update: Trade came through and got 99% of my period correct parts in. Only thing I need is a front sight to post war specs (front blades are a little wider apart) and a stock. Seeing how a decent "banged up" post war stock goes for in the $500 range I'm probably going to toss on a new stock for now and save up for a post war stock in a year or so.

So anyway here's some progression:

All post war parts cleaned up in mineral spirits, then tossed in hot water, then brushed down with Break Free CLP

29730937464_9b4d249f56_z.jpg

Got in 2 op rods with serial numbers associated with my serial number time period:

30064238790_1a671dff8e_z.jpg

Both Op Rods are in spec and placed them in my other Garand for the tilt test (making sure the op rod bend is within spec so it freely moves within the action of the firearm as you tilt the weapon). Both passed the test!

29730937144_647b058057_z.jpg

Oh and another update. I've been practicing with a spare trigger group on detail field stripping it and putting it back together. I think I worked out the quirks on how to get the final trigger pin in without cursing it's existence. And during this process I was able to figure out how each part interacts with each other. Really cool.

It's amazing how these engineers made this firearm so damn simplistic yet built to last the test of time and combat environments.

Holding parts in my hand built in the 1950s was really something special.

Dean's Guns Restoration.......just that basic standard grade looks good to me

Dean's Guns Restoration.......just that basic standard grade looks good to me
Yeah... For some reason I really like the looks of the semi fancy in type 1 finish. Looks sharp! But buku coin. Decisions, decisions.

Kinda pissed because after Dean passed away the prices jumped like $100 in price in each category. Maybe I'll jump if they have a holiday sale or something.

I know you like the fancy, that goes without saying.......I think the other one looks more OE.....bet its stronger too

UPDATE:

I've opted to have my CMP special's wood sent out to be refinished and fitted for this build. It's cheaper and saves me $150 overall right now. Down the road I'll try and find a matching Post war USGI stock. Just can't pan it out in my budget right now.

I completely stripped my CMP special last night (which was fun btw because I actually knew what I was doing now) and packed up the stock and handguards last night. Hitting the post office in a few hours.

My CMP special is going to be re-barreled in .308 next year so it was gonna get stripped anyway.

So what does this mean....

It will mean I will have all the parts I need to do this build before Thanksgiving. The build will be done before the year is out. It will be all correct parts minus the stock and springs (putting in new springs).

Last edited:
Springs are a consumable part, and should be replaced periodically to retain positive function.

I prefer to have a completely functional gun than a wall hanger.

Springs are a consumable part, and should be replaced periodically to retain positive function.

I prefer to have a completely functional gun than a wall hanger.

Yup. All my guns have to work as intended.

Detail stripped the Mini G last night for the first time to identify any areas that need to be updated. Found some parts that would go with my 1942 Garand to correct it some.... oh the fun may begin again.

Lol. Finished up around 10 pm. Cutting video now.

Will have pics up soon.

Actual build takes 30 min. But building with my son and explaining stuff took longer.

Plus some small build issues delayed us.

Lower band pin was a little over sized. Took a bit to get it banged in.

Sorry. Last night my daughter woke up at midnight and didn't go to bed till 2am.

Cut video now just having it finalized. Gonna take 3 hrs.

After that I'll post pics.

UPDATE:

See original post for new pics and video.... I don't expect you guys to watch a 1 hour video but if anyone wants to know how to complete a M1 rifle I recorded our build with my POV camera.

31308438751_6201c5b0eb_z.jpg

I unliked it so I could like it again.

But I'm not watching the hour long video just at the moment. But I love the rifle and that you guys did it together, that's awesome man!

Back