• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick Arms and a hard lesson learned.

Fero724

.22LR
Maverick Arms, in Eagle Pass, TX, is a distributor for Mossberg barrels, among other things.

This whole ordeal started in February, 2014 on Mossberg/Maverick Arms's own web site, which doesn't make any distinction between a model 500 and a model 500 Cruiser. I have a model 500 Cruiser, which has a take-down cap, rather than a take-down screw. I wanted a 28 inch barrel for my shotgun, so I ordered a 90130 barrel, which I found out does not fit my shotgun, when it arrived, two and a half weeks after I ordered it.

I first contacted Maverick Arms about this issue on 3/10/2014. After some discussion and disagreement with the representative, who insisted that the barrel did fit my shotgun, I gave him the serial number of my shotgun, at which point he said, "Oh, you have a cruiser." Since Mossberg doesn't make a 28" barrel to fit my gun, I asked him if Maverick Arms would send me a shipping label to send the barrel back. He took my email address and told me it would arrive in my email in a day or two. That seemed odd at the time, as well it should have.

On 3/14, I spoke with Eric, extension 530. He stated that there was no record of my issue on the computer. He gave me an RMA number, took the usual information from me, and emailed me a shipping label before we even got off the phone. I sent the barrel back on the same day, via FedEx.

The barrel arrived at Maverick Arms on 3/19. I confirmed this through both FedEx and Maverick Arms. Funny how it took 5 days to get to them, but it took two and a half weeks to get to me.

Mossberg/Maverick Arms debited my account almost as soon as I placed my order. It took them a month, several phone calls and an official notice of impending legal action before they would refund my money.

I enjoy my Mossberg shotgun. However, unless I see a significant improvement in their customer service, I've bought my last one.

The biggest issue with Mossberg is inconsistency.

The "Cruiser" distinction means nothing other than it is configured with a pistol grip only, no stock. Your cruiser model apparently features a model 590/590A1 barrel and the 590/835 magazine tube and cap. Other 500 cruiser models feature the standard 500 barrels with the 500 mag tube and "screw in" cap. There are similar inconsistencies in other lines, but issuing model 500's with 590 parts and no heads-up to the consumer has got to be one of the most confusing.

I've spoken with multiple service reps on several occasions and many of them are not even aware of this inconsistency as you discovered during your interaction. This, coupled with an apparently disorganized shipping/receiving department, has made for an extremely frustrating experience for many of our members. We have seen members deal with Mossberg CS for as long as six months before their issue was resolved. We've been interacting with them for the past several years and have seen both good and bad. Some members have nothing but positive interactions, while others are left with a sense of disappointment in the brand after situations like yours. It seems to depend on the luck of the draw.

Sorry to see you had to deal with this issue. Let us know if you have any questions or are looking for any other parts. We've been at this a while and may be able to save you from further frustration...

This is one of the reasons we're here.

The good folks on this forum have had a lot of experience dealing with Mossberg and are able to sort through a lot of the confusion ahead of time. Sadly, many don't find our site until after they've had a problem. We always try to get our members steered in the right direction with the most accurate information at our disposal before the call to Mossberg CS takes place. It can make things go a LOT smoother...

The biggest issue with Mossberg is inconsistency.

The "Cruiser" distinction means nothing other than it is configured with a pistol grip only, no stock. Your cruiser model apparently features a model 590/590A1 barrel and the 590/835 magazine tube and cap. Other 500 cruiser models feature the standard 500 barrels with the 500 mag tube and "screw in" cap. There are similar inconsistencies in other lines, but issuing model 500's with 590 parts and no heads-up to the consumer has got to be one of the most confusing.

I've spoken with multiple service reps on several occasions and many of them are not even aware of this inconsistency as you discovered during your interaction. This, coupled with an apparently disorganized shipping/receiving department, has made for an extremely frustrating experience for many of our members. We have seen members deal with Mossberg CS for as long as six months before their issue was resolved. We've been interacting with them for the past several years and have seen both good and bad. Some members have nothing but positive interactions, while others are left with a sense of disappointment in the brand after situations like yours. It seems to depend on the luck of the draw.

Sorry to see you had to deal with this issue. Let us know if you have any questions or are looking for any other parts. We've been at this a while and may be able to save you from further frustration...

So I have another question now - I've noticed that they do make a 28" barrel for the 835 that has the same lug that my barrel does. Only thing is, the 835 is a 3.5" chamber and mine is a 3". Would that still work?

So I have another question now - I've noticed that they do make a 28" barrel for the 835 that has the same lug that my barrel does. Only thing is, the 835 is a 3.5" chamber and mine is a 3". Would that still work?

Like mossy said it will work, but only if your current cruiser has an 18.5" barrel and the 6-shot tube.

If yours is a 9-shot with a 20" barrel you will also need to replace the mag tube and spring to use any of the 835 barrels...

Outstanding, thank you for your help, guys. I do indeed have the 5+1 mag on it and no desire to shoot 3.5 shells. I'll order one up, (cringing the whole time) and then I can go shoot skeet with a few friends. Wish I would've found this forum before...

God help me, I've ordered a 28" barrel, as described above. If past experience is anything to go by, it should be here about the middle of May. If this barrel works for me, the next thing will be TruGlo bead sights. I have Truglo tritium/fiber optic sights on my pistols and I (think) I want them on my shotgun as well - but I'm open to other opinions. If all goes well, I'll be using the same weapon, with different barrels, for home defense and skeet shooting. So here's my questions - Does anyone else have an opinion about bead sights? And what thread does Mossberg use for 18.5" breacher barrel and the 28" 835 barrel? I know the sight for the breacher has to be raised a few mm as well.

Mossberg uses a 5-40 thread on all their barrels.

In my opinion, there's no substitute for a bead sight on a defensive shotgun. I have ghost rings on my 590A1 and like them for popping steel at 100yd, but the bead on my 590 is much faster. My 930 JM Pro has a fiber optic bead and it lights up like a laser at the range. Good luck with your order and keep us posted...

Will do, Sniper, thanks. I've been using a red dot scope on mine. Put it on because they work great at night as well as in the day time. The damn thing won't hold zero though, and I'm absolutely finished with it. I'll be calling TruGlo to get some info before I get the sights I want.

I keep braking TruGlo reflex sights.
Apparently you need to spend upwards of $150 on a red dot type optic if you are going to put it on a shotgun.

Sent from my Apple Newton in 1993 with 640k of RAM

^ Nope, you just need to find a good one.

I've been running this $80 SightMark Mini Shot since 2011 and it's still alive and well. Had it mounted on my 590 at first, then my 930. Don't know the exact round count it's been through, but if it's not over 1000 yet it's get'n pretty close...

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...ographic-reflex-sight-review.2513/#post-28836

I believe others have had good luck with Primary Arms' micro red dot as well...

I keep braking TruGlo reflex sights.
Apparently you need to spend upwards of $150 on a red dot type optic if you are going to put it on a shotgun.

Sent from my Apple Newton in 1993 with 640k of RAM

Let me guess, the lens keeps shattering, right? You're not the first person I've read about that's said the same thing. That's why I want to go to a tritium bead sight. It never loses zero and they're tough to break. Sniper, I've looked at that mini-shot and others similar to it. I don't care for them because they're too small.

Sniper, I've looked at that mini-shot and others similar to it. I don't care for them because they're too small.

That's exactly why I like it.

It adds the benefit of a red dot without adding any real weight or otherwise obstructing field of view. Not for everybody I suppose, but it's worked well for me...

I'm running the sightmark ultra shot little larger than the mini so far so good only about 500 rounds in it this far

So... after I ordered the above mentioned barrel from Maverick, on 4/30, I called them today to find the status on my order. They told me it shipped on 5/2 and gave me a tracking number. I called FedEx, who told me that the label had been created but the item was never given to them for shipping. So, I called Maverick again. This time I got hold of someone that gave a damn. He took my name and number and went into the shipping department to investigate, then (believe it or not) he called me back. He said something to the effect of, "Your barrel was lost in in the shipping department - no, I mean, in transit (pause and a little chuckle) but we're shipping it out today with 2-day shipping. You should have it Tue or Wed. Here's your new tracking number." I don't mean to make it sound like the "chuckle" seemed inappropriate, I didn't take it that way. Maverick is, without a doubt, the flakiest organization I've ever done business with. My next shotgun is going to be an auto loader, and it sure as HELL won't be a Mossberg. I'm thinking Winchester, but considering Remington. Wouldn't mind a Benalli, but they're way too overpriced. Besides, if Italian shotguns are anything like Italian sports cars, I don't care to have one that needs to be fixed every other week.

Back