• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 SPX Lever Scout

odogg78

.22LR
So if I listen to the internet nerds, they hate the Mossberg 464 SPX. They call it an abomination to lever actions. Am I the only one who thinks this thing is awesome? What? There's no advances in rifles in the last 150 years? Mossberg can't modernize a rifle? To me this is an extremely functional and reliable rifle implementing engineering from the modern day. Anyway, I thought you guys would like to see what I did with mine. I had a blast. Works great and looks bad-ass. In REAL LIFE, I always get compliments on it.

Have a peek:

More details about it here: Mossberg 464 SPX Lever Scout

Mossberg-464-SPX-ZMB-Scout-Rifle-5.jpg

Mossberg-464-SPX-ZMB-Scout-Rifle-1.jpg

Mossberg-464-SPX-ZMB-Scout-Rifle-3.jpg

Mossberg-464-SPX-ZMB-Scout-Rifle-5.jpg

You, sir, are not alone. There are quite a few that really enjoy the rifle and we, my family, have had good fun and luck with ours. There are several hogs in my freezer that have witnessed the business end. of the lever action of the 22nd Century.

Not my cup of tea, but I can certainly see the utility in it. The most important thing I would remember is that only you have to like it. I do not put much stock in the opinion of internet know-it-all's.

I'm afraid the purist types have unjustly declared the SPX to be an abomination.

It's so easy to be a narrow minded luddite about these things when you have emotional ties to romantic notions like "the gun that won the west".

I'm afraid the purist types have unjustly declared the SPX to be an abomination.

It's so easy to be a narrow minded luddite about these things when you have emotional ties to romantic notions like "the gun that won the west".
Totally. I understand. I have a classic level action myself and love it. It's a gorgeous firearm. But I also like modern innovations.

Yessirree. Incorrectly, so. Also, I think people do need to admin to themselves that the gun business is a business. People do want firearms like this and so Mossberg and other companies are delivering what is needed, too. Gotta give the customers what they want, too.

Not my cup of tea, but I can certainly see the utility in it. The most important thing I would remember is that only you have to like it. I do not put much stock in the opinion of internet know-it-all's.

Utility- that's a good word for it. I hadn't used it when I talk about the SPX before, but that's the right word- utility.

You, sir, are not alone. There are quite a few that really enjoy the rifle and we, my family, have had good fun and luck with ours. There are several hogs in my freezer that have witnessed the business end. of the lever action of the 22nd Century.

Good man. At the bottom, the SPX is just a classic 30-30. Having the adjustable stock I find to be nice. You can get that just right size for you. But clearly, I couldn't resist decking it out and making a toy out of it...

. . . Toy. . .

Heh Heh Heh . . .
That's what I told my lovely Mrs when she asked why I needed the 464.

"It's just a cowboy toy sweetie." :)

My wife says I'm too republican, yet she really thinks I'm a closet nazi who would rule like Stalin given the chance.

So I bought the cowboy toy version rather than a scary tactical looking gun. ;)

I had her going but then I bought the Ruger Mk3 pistol which looks like a Luger. Blew that totally.

Next gun will be all cowboy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, everybody says Ruger coppied the Luger styling. I will somday own a real Luger.

"Honey, it's just an army toy..."

:D

I've bought very few guns based on looks. I have bought all of them based on function. If it does what you need it to do its a good gun. :-D

What can you tell me about the scope, mount, and base?
The scope is am AIM Sports 2x7x42. Nothing magical but great for the price. The rail is from XS sights, specifically made for the 464. The rings are quick release rings. If you click the link above, you'll see the website with the full specs that I sent it to.

Oh I didn't notice the scope rail. It seems kinda far forward to me.

I've never used one like that. It seems I'm always struggling to get closer to the scope.

Back