• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 SPX Lever Scout

The eye relief is made at 9-11 inches on that scope. You will find them being called scout scopes or long eye relief scopes. Normal scopes are roughly 3 inches.

Thanks, I've never seen one.

I've been thinking about a custom-made peep-sight for my 464, and a mod to the safety. I'll make the peep-sight myself, but I have another weaver-type mount sight I want to try first.

I want the grip safety better: smooth and perfect with a smoother spring action so you don't push/not push the lever by mistake. I'm not taking this hunting, so no problem IMO, but theoretically you could bump the lever and bump-fire the gun right now. Except that the safety is so balky! It might fire & it might not depending on whether the lever wiggled when bumped. LOL

Anyhow, my safety is I unload the gun. I hasn't moved more than 3 feet loaded, since purchase, as I've only shot it at the range.

I'm not particularly a huge fan of the lever safety, either. I like the thumb safety, but the trigger-guard or lever safety or whatever they call it is kind of annoying, personally.

That would be the ticket for hunting: The tang, (thumb safety) as it's fool proof.

The 464 action is a pretty foolproof safety in that the lever must be completely close to fire. Also, the traditional lever action half cock has provided quite the safe action for quite some time. I find the thumb safety redundant. But, I am not all that bothered by it.

I tried adding various sights and red dots but alway come back to the original stock sight. I'm getting minute-of-pig quite reliably out to 100 with Rem Core-Lokt 150gr. or Hornady Whitetail 150

OK I had a couple lockups on my 464 too. I started measuring rounds. I had 6 brands of ammo plus 30-30 reloads in a few flavors.

2.531 to 2.556 were the various lengths, with the short rounds feeding well & the long ones hardly at all.

Hornady American Whitetail 150 was the shortest, & I noticed previously that they fed well.

This gun won'the run perfect book ammo as well as shorties.

The threaded barrel is screaming for a suppressor. I'm finishing up my Trust paperwork this week and soon I can begin the long wait.

I think your choice in scope adds to the look and is just the right magnification for the function. The XS-Sight mount I found fits perfectly. Although, I keep going back to the stock sights. But I still need some practice using a scope in an active situation. Prone, no problem. But offhand on a target is something I still find awkward.

Back