• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 model 50580

OK, then pick a forend that's for the 7 3/4 action tube. That is the more common size for the aftermarket accessories anyway, so you should be good to go with just about whatever you want to purchase...

Semper Fi my Brothers & Sisters in Arms.

WOO! Another problem solved through team work and patients!

Klaus, if you need any help finding the right forend, give us a hollar! I am sure that the majority of us have overlapping experience with near EVERY forend on the market lol

ERGO Tri-rail and UTG with Rails both are GREAT forends and I know there is a UTG with Magpul FDE VFG2 for sale in the Accessories section. Something you may want to check out

Yeah I know. I apologize about my ignorance on shotguns. I will look for a grip that fits 7 3/4. I do want a picatinney so I can mount a handle under it for stability and to be able to pump the rounds in easier. I do have a heat shield and I don't want any part of the grip or the pica. rails to intefere with the heat shield.
Thank you everyone for all your patience, help and expertise!

klausmarshall said:
Yeah I know. I apologize about my ignorance on shotguns. I will look for a grip that fits 7 3/4. I do want a picatinney so I can mount a handle under it for stability and to be able to pump the rounds in easier. I do have a heat shield and I don't want any part of the grip or the pica. rails to intefere with the heat shield.
Thank you everyone for all your patience, help and expertise!

no apology needed. we all have to learn. i'm just glad we were happy to help you. that forend thing can get tricky. :)
any other questions just ask away.
keep us posted on you mods to your 500.

Klaus, don't apologize man! You think I came into the firearms community knowing everything? Nah.. not even close lol... I asked some of the same questions you will ask and probably more! I am happy that we were able to help you out, teach you something new and point you in the right direction!

Klaus, when shopping some places will call it "old style" or "short style" in the product description for the shorter ones. Obviously the one you don't want.

Most of the time though nothing is mentioned in the product description and that usually means its the longer one you will need. They might describe it as "long style" but usually not.

YMMV so when in doubt email/call the place you are considering ordering from. Also make sure they have a liberal return policy. Most do. The only downside to ordering online is waiting for the UPS guy to show up. If you in fact did order the wrong item then you have to wait to ship it back, wait some more for a replacement etc...... Kind of a pain in the you know what.

In the end though on average ordering online is worth the risk. Its typically cheaper than dealing with a local place but in some instances going local saves you considerable time so its up to you. With the frenzy right now many online resources are backlogged and you might have to wait a while for your stuff to ship. At least local if they have it on hand you walk away with something right there on the spot.

Unless you don't have a decent number of local shops in your immediate area to check out then utilizing someone online is your best bet. Also don't hesitate to look in the buy/sale/trade area of the forum here and elsewhere. Lots of folks are in your boat and either order the wrong item themselves, or order something and then realize its just not for them. If they wound up getting it from a place that isn't worth hassling for a refund/exchange they sell it to other folks at a considerable discount. Over the years I've acquired many things this way, not just gun parts either. PC, guitar, RC hobby, etc... and its a great way to experiment on the cheap.

Just throwing it out there for you to think about. Also if you wind up with something incompatible its an option to trade for what you really needed or help the next fella save a few green backs with a screaming good deal.

Best of luck.

Back