• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Accessories...

Re: Pinned forend on a Mossberg?

I replaced mine so I could use different forends. Bought a slide tube and a hogue forend and a nut for the end. It works just the same and I just wanted to be able to change stock sets. I just bought a wood set for it, should be here this week so it's getting changed again.

I dont care too much for them either, but the 20 ga I looked at with the pinned forend felt pretty decent. Like you said, it was smooth.

Still, I'd do just as UnderDog did and buy the action slide tube.

Re: Vent rib dimples in a 500A barrel

I just bought a new mossberg 500 vent rib barrel and there are no noticable marks or discoloration inside the barrel. I even cleaned it and checked again, nothing. I think Mossberg will replace your barrel for you no problem.

It's functional, I haven't decided yet as to what (if anything) I'm gonna do with it. The Mossberg 500 the forend is on is in like new condition and I only gave 150.00 for it. So it's not like I'm out a lot of money or it's a pressing issue to get the thing changed out. I think I'll take it bird hunting this week end and see how things go.

Sounds good Gunner! I'm very interested in knowing what you think of it!

Accessories questions

I have a Mossberg 500A Persuader 8 shot. So far i added a Tac-Star side saddle and heat shield.

What i would like to add next is a real Mossberg metal heat shield and a different forend. I was looking at the Houge oversized rubber forend. Actually i was looking into the stock and forend but, for now ill just get the forend. Anyone use this part?

Id also like to add some sort of beat sight in a fiber optic flavor. The brass bead sight is great and all but kind of hard to see. Any suggestions?

And lastly, i really want a Surefire forend with light but thats $$ so would be a better and cheaper alternative? This is my HD gun, but i do take it out and shoot with it also.

Re: Accessories questions

I have the Hogue forend on my Persuader! Its feels great!

Fiber optic sights you can look into are HiViz and TruGlo, They make a piecce which snaps onto the barrel and uses ther brass bead to align. Real easy and also not a lot of $$$! :D

Accessories questions

The TruGlo II Clipon Fiber optic is excellent.
I just posted about it with a pic in the hardware forum.

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=2675

For the light mount, I have a Laserlyte TriRail (small Rail) mounted just in front of the forend.
Got an NCStar LED Light for $30. Works great.
Will be doing a thread about it soon.

I'm interested on a report regarding the Mossberg pinned forends too. I'm just about to drop the hammer and purchase a 500, model 50521, which has a sporting style forend that is pinned.

I know it can be changed out later if there's anything wrong down the road. Folks report using Mavericks, a lot, with no failure reports that I've seen. I don't plan on changing anything out unless it breaks.

BTW - New to this forum. Great forum, tons of info, and nice folks.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you!

Be sure to stop by the new members section and introduce yourself to the crowd. Keep us posted on your upcoming purchase and be sure to post up some pics once you get it...

I also picked up one of the Mossberg 50521 models. I didn't care for the pinned forend, it seemed "cheesy" to me. I changed it out with a short action tube assembly, and a Hogue overmolded stock and forend. I like the feel of my Persuader now.

YMMV,
boomer :cool:

tnxdshooter said:
Lookimg over that I am glad you like it but after watching a youtube video over the elzetta mount that I bought I think I made the right decision. The dude in the review even had the same flashlight as me the Streamlight Polytac 88850.
Has anyone shot used the streamlight polytac 88850 at the range? I seen alot of reviews that it flickers because of the recoil. can anyone confirm this? I'm debating if I should this light with the UTG trirail mount or elzetta. Thanks.

Well I'm back from pheasant hunting. Lots of fun. First impressions, the synthetic stock is lighter than the wood stocks and as the day wore on that was a plus. No hitches or malfunctions, which is a good thing. Gotta say I'm still skeptical but easing up a bit. I think more field research is in order. :cool:

Thanks for the additional info Gunner. I'm wanting a parkerized shotgun, and the only parkerized 500's that I can find are the 50521 and 50516. Those guns are just alike, with a heat shield added to the 50516. Both of them have the pinned or one piece sporting style forends on them. I don't plan on going "tacticool" with my shotgun, and would be leaving it stock anyway, so I don't guess the forend will be a problem. I actually like the sporting style forend better than the "corncob" tactical style anyway. If it breaks, it's under warranty for a long time. I'd love it if I could get a parkerized 50411, but I can't find one. I found the similar 590A1, parkerized, but I can't justify the added expense for that one. I know the 590A1 is a great weapon, but for my application, the 500 will be more than adequate. I think I'm going to order either the 50521 or 50516 in the morning (later on today).

I checked out the 50521 and 50516, both are very nice looking shotguns. Mine is a 56420, which looks to be nearly the same, with the difference being a 28" vent rib, ported barrel.

I like the Mossberg corn cob forend over the speedfeed corn cob forend, simply because the castle nut on the tube is a better fit to the mossberg forend. I got a little slop in that area with the speefeed forend YMMV. Good luck with which the one you chose to make your own!

Well.....I finally dropped the hammer on a shotgun order. After all the speculation, info gathering and questions, I orderd a 590A1 (51411), 5+1. Not bad, considering I originally started out looking at a Maverick 88.

I just wasn't so comfortable with the pinned forend concept, and I like the metal safety button and trigger housing too. Besides, these military grade, heavy duty, parkerized shotguns are just plain wicked.

I'll post it when it comes in.

Good deal! You'll love it!

The 5 shot model gives quite a few options! You can put an extension on it if you like, or as Blue has done, You can get an 835 field barrel!

I hunt with my 20", but had I know about the interchangability when I was lookin, I would have bought the 18 1/2" 5 shot too...

Congrats on the 590A1,
I've been looking at a 590A1, I know there is one in my future but it's going to be a while before I get around to getting one. It's christmas time so my money is funny and my change is strange. In otherwords it's getting spent elswhere at the moment. HoHoHo!

Well I went hunting (again) this weekend and took the pinned forend 12 ga. also took along my Mossberg .410. It's really too light for pheasant, but as the day wound down I gave it a turn in the field. What a joy to carry after the packing the 12 ga. all day.

Back