• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Older Models

Re: Came a long way.

Very nice old magazine ad. Glad you posted it.

John A. said:
Very nice old magazine ad. Glad you posted it.

I believe that was Mossbergs first add on the 500. September 7th 1961.

JayC said:
What a cool ad! I know the exchange rate would be different then and now, but it is weird seeing barrels for $20 or the whole gun for $73. Boy, how times have changed. It's hard to believe the 500 is as old as it is. With all the accessories you can get for it, you'd never really guess the 500 is 52 years old if you didn't know the history behind it. Why mess with perfection, eh? :mrgreen:

I googled an inflation rate calculator. $73.50 in 1961 came out to $572.93 in 2013.

I'd say they are doing a great job keeping the price in line currently.

daytime dave said:
I googled an inflation rate calculator. $73.50 in 1961 came out to $572.93 in 2013.

I would have to agree. I wasn't too far off. I figured $73 then would be about $300-400 now.

JayC said:
daytime dave said:

I would have to agree. I wasn't too far off. I figured $73 then would be about $300-400 now.

,,,,and gas was .31 a gal. :D

I'll take a few at that price please!

Re: Revelation 310A Western Auto 12ga

OK the Revelation is up and running! Huge thanks to Tanker for the stock set (this forum is lucky to have such members) and Old Mossy for the Havlin tip on the firing pin.

Gun has single action bar as seen in picture #2, no spring in firing pin. Now to take out to range.

Good lookin' shotty. Glad you got it together and thanks for the pics. :D

Thanks guys for the comments, I've got about $120 tied up in her with stock,barrel and firing pin.. I just couldn't let an old "free" gun go to waste. I just wish it hadn't taken me 10 years to get off my duff and fix it :oops: :oops: :oops:

Now to fix up a FN Browning Hi-Power :roll:

WOW thats a blast from the past. As I recall those guns used a captured safety detent, in other words it is better than what is out there today!

blacksmith said:
WOW thats a blast from the past. As I recall those guns used a captured safety detent, in other words it is better than what is out there today!

Exactly what is the "captured safety"?

Is it the same as the older metal ones?

Attachments

• 500 old metal safety.jpg
    500 old metal safety.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 125

for $120 you saved a gun that will probably last a few more generations.
Good Job!

old mossy said:
Exactly what is the "captured safety"?

Hi Mossy, I'm going to do a safety write-up w/ pictures this weekend if I can squeeze it in.

The safety assembly (button, bushing, screw, block) all are the same, BUT, some of the old guns had a captured detent. In other words, the spring and ball didn't come flying out upon disassembly! This was achieved by swaging the area around the detent. Also these guns had the most positive On/Off safety click of any Mossberg.

Sorry for the thread Hi-jack. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

We took the old Revelation out to the range today, flawless as expected and got a little thump to her being as light as she is. Only shot bird shot, very busy helping the Mrs. with her new Walther 9mm, and shooting my 270win and 5.56 reloads. Good range day! :mrgreen:

Hello everyone!

Thought I would post some pictures of a Westernfield (store brand made by Mossberg) 12ga pump that was given to me by my father. He says he bought it in the 70's, and fired less than a dozen shells through it. It looks fantastic, except for the safety which had been damaged during a move. I ordered a replacement 500 safety, and now it works perfectly. Comes with the C-Lect choke on the long barrel. I bought a Mossberg 500 18.5" security barrel for it, and it fit perfectly. Kinda looks like an old cop shotgun. Since it was technically made by Mossberg, I am allowed on the forum right? :D

Good lookin' shotty! :D Thanks for the pics.

What model is stamped on the underside of the receiver?

Back