• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: last round falling out

nitesite said:
Are all three out of the same box of shells?

That was one of my thoughts. That and may be it was the 2-3/4" shells or maybe because the brass on the 2-3/4" had started to oxidized. I had always used 3" since I had got the 500 but had some 2-3/4" left-over from my remmy 1100, so I decided to burn thru them before I started to buy more 3" shells. When this started to happen I loaded up some fresh out of the box 3" shell and low and behold, 3rd shell in the mud! :evil:

Rossignol said:
I'm stumped.

Though it sounds like the cartridge stop is allowing the last shell to fall out... is it coming out before you pull the action back?

I am not sure, I was concentrating on the ducks and did not pay attention to when the 3rd shell fell out. I believe it happens when the 2nd shell is being loaded into the action.

When ever I get a chance I will try to see when it falls out and I will even see if it happens with only 2 shells loaded.

If its happening as the 2nd shell is being chambered, it sounds like something is off with the cartridge stop.

Try to duplicate it if you can, and watch to see whats happening.

Dollars to doughnuts the case head on the third shell is somehow coming out past the cartridge stop with the second and when the second is chambered and the lifter is out of the way, it allows the third shell to fall right out. Well, its a theory anyway...

mossberg 500 question

hello im new to the forum and i got a mossberg 500 series from cabelas and i havent shot it yet but i got a question. ive watched youtube videos of people shooting the gun and just releasing the action lever on the left side of the gun once. in all of the videos i watch no one is releases the lever after the first time. every time i do a black fire i have to press the lever again so i can cock the gun. ???? im confused about this. thanks

Re: mossberg 500 question

From page 2 of the 500 manual:
The action lock lever allows the action to be unlocked and opened for inspection or
unloading without pulling the trigger. The action may be opened by depressing the lever
and pulling the forearm rearward (Fig. 3).

NOTE: During the firing, the action unlocks automatically after the hammer falls and
the action can be cycled without depressing the action lock lever.

Inspect your gun's magazine and chamber to make sure it's not loaded.
With the safety off pull the trigger. If the hammer falls it was cocked.

Now pull the slide all the way back. It may feel hard to pull reward but should go back. Pushing it back forward again locks up the action and puts the gun into battery ready to fire.

To open the action without firing you'll have to use the action release lever.

Practice a few dry firing cycles to get yourself familiar with your gun.

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to post any question you may have anytime. There's a great bunch of knowledgeable folks on here.

When you actually fire the weapon, the force the shell going off will automatically unlock the slide, therefore, you don't need to press it under that circumstance.

If you're first loading the gun or just cycling through a bunch of shells, you'll have to press the release each time you want to cycle the action.

Hi Paintball!!! Glad you found us at MO!

I dont know what you mean by "do a black fire", unless its what my kids here cal a "drive by" or "crop dusting"!!! :lol:

Without knowing exactly what you mean, pulling the trigger releases the action so the forend can be pulled rearward and the chambered opened. Closing the action or solidly sliding the forend all the way forward and locking the bolt in battery without pulling the triger will not unlock the action and pressing the action release is required to open the chamber again.

I hope we're able to help you here...

New Mossberg lots of oil?

I just bought my first shotgun and am new to them. The Mossberg 500 has a ton of oil on it. I am guessing this is for shipping reasons. But can anyone provide some advice for me? Should i take it apart and wipe all the oil off? Should i re-oil in certain spots? Thanks for your feedback i appreciate it.

Mark

Re: New Mossberg lots of oil?

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new 500!

Most definitely field strip and clean off all the oil. A lot of grime, dust, etc. can accumulate in the firearm during storage and shipping from the manufacturer. Some guns will sit in stock for a long time before they're sold, so it's always a good idea to give it a thorough cleaning and a fresh coat of oil before your first range trip. After cleaning, apply a light coat of oil to the action and all the moving parts.

Field stripping will also give you an opportunity to further inspect the firerm and make sure everything is in good order.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Msull44 !! ( ^^^what SNIPER has said^^^ ) :cool:

Yes Sir,

That's how we roll. Let us know if you have any more questions.

I am trying ti figure out what type of shells to buy. I will be using for home defense but have neighbors on both sides of me as i live in a row home. There are so many different shells not sure what to buy. Any suggestions?

Rowhomes in my area are made of plaster, wood lathe, brick and mortar, with a firewall.

What is the building material construction of your home...?!

The Box of Truth has some interesting penetration tests to give you a "non-scientific" idea of what may be expected of a given load...I would suggest YOU do the reseach on your materials, then...starting with double or triple ought buck...practice. Shot placement on the target is the key, so you also need to pattern the load at given distances ( ie...the longest shot to be made with that load on target in your home setting...probably measured within less than 10 yards in any rowhome I've been in. )

You do NOT want to use birdshot or slugs...exclamation point. :cool:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

Yea i believe my home has sheetrock with plaster under it and than thin layer of brick.

My home is older and also has drywall over the plaster, and wood lathe. No brick though...

I'm going to agree with evrything said thus far. Mossberg shotguns dont need much oil and in fact, once oiled, I wipe everything down to a light film, usually with my hands.

As far as loads go, agin I'll echo what has been said. Check out the Box O Truth. We also have, under the ammunition section, quite a bit of discussion, video, and pics of tested loads, primarily for patterning. Some of this may be helpful to you too.

Now, NiteSite on here uses Federal TruBall slugs in his home Mossberg alsmost exclusively. You would have to talk to him to get his take on his choice.

Loads of different manufacturers and even from one gun to the next wil pattern differently, which is why its sooo sooo important for you to pattern on your own as well. I like things others may not. While I like the Federal FliteControl, there are other loads which at close ranges are going to be plenty effective. Even off the shelf from WalMart Winchester Super X.

Whatever you go with, put some paper up and mark it with a bullseye. Aim for it, then adjust where on the target you hold to put as much pattern over the bull as possible. Get a few loads and shoot em like Shooter mentioned, at whatever YOUR ranges are going to be. Then pick the one that suits you best, your specific scenario.

Happy shootin!!!

New Mossberg lots of oil?

I've been wiping the internals with CLP.
SlideGlide Grease on the Action Bars and tube.
TufGlide on the exterior

Msull44 said:
I am trying ti figure out what type of shells to buy. I will be using for home defense but have neighbors on both sides of me as i live in a row home. There are so many different shells not sure what to buy. Any suggestions?

To begin with I would suggest a value box (or two or three) of 100 rounds from walmart in 7.5 or 8 size shot for about $24. This is ammo for you to get acquainted with, learn how to shoot, load, cycle, manipulate safety, properly shoulder, etc. Its a economical way to break in the new gun and spend some quality time learning it.

If you feel 00B is too much, there is 00B low recoil and then you could always step down to size 4 shot. 4 is for large birds like geese.

What this sound like is that the 1st shell is in the chamber.
The 2nd shell (having been manually loaded) is resting on the shell stop. When the action is cycled the 2nd shell loads as it should since it is in the correct position and shifts from the stop to the interuptor.

The 3rd shell comming down the magazine tube is getting past the shell stop and being caught by the interuptor. In this situation (shell resing on the interuptor) when you cycle the action the interuptor disengages and the shell drops out the loading port.

Chances are there is crud/gunk built up in between the shellstop and the receiver which would cause it to not function properly (i.e.) allow a shell coming from the magazine to get past it.

Make sure the shotgun is unloaded and then disassemble it and give it a good cleaning paying particular attention to she shell stop area. While you got it apart cleaning it, check the tip of the shell stop to ensure the edges are sharp and intact. On the off chance that it has become worn or broken.

Back