• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: heat shield question

Sure thing, let us know how it goes for you!

What exactly is MARINECOAT?

Is it NP3, is it Moly, Ceramic?

What is it?

Re: What exactly is MARINECOAT?

That's a good question. I would guess it's a silver plating applied similar to chrome, but I think you, or someone, is going to have to ask Mossberg directly. I couldn't really find anything other than 'a silver coating' on Wikipedia.

From what I understand it is basically almost identical to electroluss nickel without the spit shine.

tnxdshooter said:
From what I understand it is basically almost identical to electroluss nickel without the spit shine.

Then that would make it more along the lines of Robar NP3.

Also a very good finish from what I have heard.

John A. said:
tnxdshooter said:

Then that would make it more along the lines of Robar NP3.

Also a very good finish from what I have heard.

Ive heard the same. I have heard it is very corrosion and scratch resistant. (the marinecoate that is)

Just off the phone with OFM.

He said it is a spray on finish done by an aftermarket company, but that he didnt have the companies name nor does he know what the finish consists of.

Rossignol said:
Just off the phone with OFM.

He said it is a spray on finish done by an aftermarket company, but that he didnt have the companies name nor does he know what the finish consists of.
I figured that would be their answer. Thanks for trying though.

I'm not done yet! ;) Gonna do some research and see if I cant find the company that does it. It is an aftermarket finish after all, so it isnt proprietary! :D

If Mossberg were to build an all 416 stainless steel 500/590 (minus the furniture), and finish it in black phosphate like Olympic Arms uses to make their SS match barrels black, that would be about the most corrosion resistant shotgun ever made (no aftermarket finish required).

Yes, it would be heavier, but all the better to help manage recoil.

It would also cost more, mostly due to raw materials and tooling, but if they kept it at or slightly under $500, I would be one of the first in line to buy one.

If you can find out what the marinecoat finish is, I'm sure there are many here who would like to find out.

If it is Robar NP3, I know a guy on another forum who's had a couple of his submachineguns done in it. And he loves them.

Cleans easy, minimal lubing, etc.

Attachments

• Pair of 9s.jpg
    Pair of 9s.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 386

Great photo...

And yea, the finish on Olympic Arms barrels really holds up...I own one of their AR platforms.

so if i got a 500 cruiser with the breacher barrel this would work right
http://www.aimprotactical.com/16873/20285.html
AIMPRO Tactical PN 100185 - M590A1 Heavy Barrel Heat Shield - Also fits the Mossberg 590 style "Tactical Cruiser" Breaching Barrel
the 500 cruiser has the same barrel and mag tube as the 590 so this should work correct.
Btw sorry if im asking silly questions, i just dont know squat about shotgun and want to make a smart buy!

The AIMPRO heat shield should fit your breacher barrel just fine. Let us know how it turns out.

Roger that!
yea at the moment im doing lots of research and lurking on this forum haha!
almost got my parts list complete and il price it and see where i stand.

Forcing cone question

Brownells sells long forcing cone reamers. The long forcing cone is supposed to reduce felt recoil and reduce pellet deformation. It sounds like a like a good deal. Has anyone lengthened the forcing cone on a Mossberg? I'm interested in finding out if you think it is it worth the expense of buying the reamer or having it done?

Thanks
gunner

Re: Forcing cone question

I haven’t done it myself, sent my barrel to Vang Comp to have it done. It without a doubt works. I have some before and after patterns posted under a Vang Comp thread. If you have the means to do it go for it. I used to machine .22 barrels and I opted to have it done in a shop set up for it.

I too had mine done by Vang Comp and agree it works! I still have to get my before and afters together, but the results have impressed me thus far!

I think one of the things it comes down to is how you wanna use it to make it worth it.

So, for somewhere in the neighborhood of $200.00 to $225.00, plus shipping I can send my barrel off to Vang Comp and have him modify the barrel to a VCS (Vang comp system). Interesting? I didn't know that. Good option. Very cool!

I've done work as an armorer, yet never taken a Mossberg to the limit of what can be done. I just never looked at going there.

The VCS or similar, sounds like it's worth persuing.

Thanks!

Or you could send it to Mike at Aimpro Tactical and have the bore polished and the forcing cone work done for $70. For another $95 you can have the barrel ported.
Mike is the Mossberg LE service center, and does great work. He's done several barrels for me.
If you use Federal FC loads, his work was developed to use those loads and you will get very good patterns with them. I'm probably going to send another barrel to him soon.

http://aimprotactical.com/16852/20222.html

Thats another real good option! And a good price too!

Back