• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Mossberg 500 Shotguns - Learning How They Work

1. False
2. False
3. False
4. False
5. False
6. Ummm not sure.
7. True

I might have scored a 90% on that. But welcome to the forum hoped that helped!

Re: WHOA!! There was rust on my barrel & magazine!!!

Rossignol said:
Not jesting, I wouldnt (would maybe) do that to ya... I mean I've seen it and I recognize the can, but where can you find it?

Ive actually saw this stuff yesterday, I was in a ''Sports Authority''. I wanted to try it but, never heard of it before so I didnt purchase it. I grabbed the more familiar to me, CLP Break Free in a big ole enviornment friendly aerosol can.

This rusting issue has happened to me a few times. It happened on my one week old Choate mag tube ext, it happened on my one week old Mossy heat sheild & its constantly happens on the mag tube clamp that came w/the ext. I believe its from handling the gun or like Rossi said warm to cold or like John A. said cold + hot + geasy, salty residue from hands = RUSTY unit. I used the Hoppes brand oil/cleaner & I was suprised to see the rust come back so quickly. I was suggested CLP Break Free stuff, used it & its not a problem anymore.

I dont like my women or sg rusty, ya know!! ;) :D

Re: WHOA!! There was rust on my barrel & magazine!!!

Perhaps you should scrub up before you play with your toys. :lol:

Surgeons+in+short+sleeves+washing+hands+before+operation.jpg

Re: New 500 sometimes jams..

Back again... it was a nice day outside so I decided to go out on the porch and strip the gun down... Here is what I found... It looks like the bolt is actually digging into the top of the reciever... So the next big question is, do I just buff it out and radius the bolt more, or does this gun need to go back to Mossberg because of deeper issues? I would do the buffing, but I don't want to touch it and void the warrenty... Problem is I'm going on a road trip in 2 weeks and planned on taking the gun with me...

So what do you guys think??

100_2838.jpg

100_2836.jpg

100_2842.jpg

100_2839.jpg

A lot of them come that way from the factory. I have seen it before and here is what mine looked like from the factory
IMG_0758.jpg

This has not affected the action of the gun at all. It is very crappy quality control but the steel bold eventually smoothes out the aluminum receiver. The lug on top of the bolt rides on a spring so it rides over the imperfection fine.

I'm just tyring to figure out where this gun is hanging up, and it seemed like this could be one of the places... If it looks normal I will do some smoothing and look for issues somewhere else... thanks

I dont think it is normal at all, it sucks and it shouldnt be there but I dont see it causing you problem of a stuck shell

this now has my curiosity.

"bill" asked a few questions here. a few different ones on Shotgunworld, XDTalk, GunandGame, survivalisboards, and pennsylvania firearms owners. all different questions, all threads have 1 to 3 post counts.

That’s why nearly no one has answered , there is another one here from someone else too. I am seeing them everywhere

oli700 said:
That’s why nearly no one has answered , there is another one here from someone else too. I am seeing them everywhere
must be getting ready to take an online test....

Bill, the info is interesting.

I hope this isnt your one and only post. We welcome everyone and will be happy to have you, but we'd enjoy your participation too.

Man, until the pics I was squarely in the camp of breakin all the way down for a thorough cleanin of ALL parts, then oil. I'd say take it back out and fire some full power loads of 00 buck slugs. Mine really started smoothin out after about 500 rounds.

I agree with Oli too, that it isnt normal "wear" in the receiver, but I too dont feel its the cause of a hangup in the action.

Also, as you have time to sit, cycle the action after bein sure to fully clear the gun. If you can, get some inert ammo (dummy round) to cycle through and see if you can watch for things hangin up and binding.

I would hold off on polishing and buffing cuz if you do all that and it doesnt fix the problem and then decide to send it back, as you mentioned, the warranty will have been voided.

May look at the elevator assembly if it is bent then you could have some sticking problems...

The elevator assembly can cause problems, it should lay reasonably flat against the inside walls of the reciever, and move freely. Also the two buttons on the ends of the arms should be even with each other, if they aren't even then the elevator may bind.

The marks inside the top of the receiver, would not normally cause the bolt to stick closed. I've seen fully functional mossbergs with similar marks in the receiver. Unsightly yes, a problem not necessarily.

Question about barrel

When I inspect the bore of my 500's barrel I see this ring near where the forcing cone is.. What is that ? Is it normal ? Here's a picture looking from chamber end up

photo.jpg

Re: Question about barrel

Howdy, that there is the forcing "cone”. It is more of a step and a little taper behind that. Forcing cone work stretches this way down the barrel and makes the transition from chamber to bore much more gradual. That is why folks claim less recoil when the cone is worked over, doesn’t abruptly force the load into the size of the bore

Re: Question about barrel

Olis advice is again right on!

That is the forcing cone and is normal. As Oli described, barrel work removes that incremental "step" from the chamber to the bore and makes a less turbulent transition for the shot to travel as well.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the barrel work done on my 590A1 by Vang. I agree that the smoother transition seems to help reduce felt recoil because it doesnt act as a "dam" in a sense...

can anyone please tell me where i can purchase Mossberg Extractor Left Hand Mossberg 500 E 410 Bore this part for a second hand shotgun i have purchased in the UK.many thanks in advance---i am a new member and hope i can get this sort of help----cheers from arty

Pinned forend question

Newbie here - I've been reading some info about the pinned forend on the newer Mossberg 500's, including on this site, and I think I understand what that term is referring to. What I'm not sure about is whether ALL the new 500's come with a pinned forend, or whether there are some that don't. For example, the models 50575 and 50577 seem to have a different, more tactical-friendly forend. But are they still "pinned"? Thanks in advance.

Re: Pinned forend question

All Mossberg forends are pinned. It’s just a matter of what they are pinned to. The cheesy ones are pinned right to the plastic. The non cheesy is pinned to a metal action tube that the plastic slides over the top of. …..if you can see the rivets connecting the action bars to the plastic than you are looking at a “pinned “ forend. If you can’t see the rivets without looking down into the forend than you have a non pinned……which is still pinned but to steel.

Back