• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: WHOA!! There was rust on my barrel & magazine!!!

Not jesting, I wouldnt (would maybe) do that to ya... I mean I've seen it and I recognize the can, but where can you find it?

Picked up my last couple cans at BassPro I think, but My LGS sells it as well. I know MidwayUSA keeps it in stock. It's pretty much my wipe and forget solution to rust...

Silicone provides a light film that stay on the metal and doesn't wipe off easily and a quick wipedown is all it takes to refresh the film. Good stuff!

Re: New 500 owner question

I shot 3" mags with the pistol grip on my first M500. Took it off and threw it away.

Other than that, I've shot just about everything else with no problems.

Re: heat shield question

I need a heat shield, I put about 200-300 shells through my barrel every time I go shooting and boy does my barrel get HOT HOT HOT. There has been occasions where I "accidentally" grabbed the barrel and burnt my fingers.

Re: New 500 owner question

I wanted to do the same, I put my butt-stock on and I'm leaving it like that FOR GOOD! Pistol grips are shitty in my opinion, they look cool but that's all...

New 500 sometimes jams..

Hi guys/gals, first post for me... I tried a couple of searches but came up empty handed...

I recently bought a new 500 field/home defense combo package, came with the 18" door breaching barrel and a 28" field barrel...

Anyway, I took the gun out the other day and shot some light #7 shot through it.
out of 5 rounds I would have at least on time where the pump action would really hang up, to the point that I would grab the forearm and slam the butt of the gun on the ground and it would break free. I would reload and the same thing would happen again. It would not happen on any certain round, just at random. I tried different brand of shells and got the same results.

When the guns jams it acts just like my 870 does when its REALLY dirty, but the action is smooth before and after the issue happens. I have not taken the gun completely apart, just a simple field cleaning (pulling the barrel, and wiping down the exposed bolt surfaces).. I dont see and burrs anywhere inside the chamber or bolt surfaces..

Any advice on what to do, is there somekind of a common issue that I am dealing with?

Re: New 500 sometimes jams..

I have a feeling it’s your ammo, by chance are you using Winchester el cheapo universal

Have you shot anything else through it other than the #7 ?

one box was winchester another box was Estate, I have never had any issues with these rounds in my 870, are you saying this gun is gonna be brand picky? :roll:

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

All firearms prefer one load over another...that some of the fun of testing them out at the range...

You think polishing the chamber a little bit would ease some of this alittle??? I polish my bores, but keep the chamber unpolished, maybe I will look at a light polishing. I know to smoth of a chamber will also cause issues... I had experience with different ammo patterning better then others in different guns, but I have never had a pump shot gun that was picky about cycling different ammo...

I bought this gun for a home defense gun. I don't want to have to worry about what ammo I need to grab when something goes bump in the night... Sounds like I need to get after this gun with some find sand paper and buffing wheels...

Thanks everyone for your help and thanks for the welcome...

there are lots of shotguns that wont run the cheap Winchester. As far as bumping in the night , test your defensive ammo for pattern and reliability before you set it by your bed. If you have a problem with good ammo than I would say there is something else going on. Let us know what you find out

Mossberg 500 Shotguns - Learning How They Work

Mossberg 500 Shotguns - Learning How They Work
During my study and research I have found the following statements that I am having some concerns with as to which are true or false. Can you list which statements are true or false? Thanks for your help.

1. Note #7. Some versions of the Mossberg 500do not have firing pin return springs -True or False.
2. Note #11. When the gun is closed or locked up, the elevator is down -True or false
3. Note #16. The cartridge stops are staked into position inside of the receiver - True or false
4. Note #17. When disassembling the receiver, the elevator must come out before the bolt slide - True or false
5. Note #18. The safety must be in the on position in order to take the elevator out of the receiver - True or false
6. Note #20. The pins that hold the extractors in place are the exact same size - True or false
7. Note #21. Loctite should be used when installing the ejector and its screw back into the receiver - True or false

Did you field strip it and clean up before you went to the range?

The reason I ask is sometime there can be bits of metal or gunk left over from the factory. I had a 20 ga. that was pretty gunked up with crud. Honestly I couldn't tell you exactly what it was but it was nasty and not something you could easily see with out disassembly. It would not have functioned properly if I had not cleaned it out.

Is the barrel tight to the action, and everything as it should be?

The reason why I ask is that the dealer may have slapped the barrel on the action tightened the nut a couple of turns and set it out for sale...Stranger things have happened...Not that that may cause the problem you describe...rather that a new gun needs to be checked before it gets fired.

I currently have shot over 1000 shells thru my Mossberg 500, not 1 problem at all.... I have shot ALL TYPES of loads even the cheap Estate & Winchester brands, so I really don't know what to say other than the fact that something may be "different" about your shotgun. That's just my 2 cents lol ;)

-I might ad that I haven't cleaned it yet either :lol:

If after cleaning/inspection the problem persists then a trip to the local gunsmith or returning the shotgun to mossberg may be necessary.

Thanks guys, I haven't dug into it anymore, I am really hoping that its just a "break-in" type issue... I plan on taking it out in a couple of weeks and doing a marithon run on it... I'll take about 500 rounds and just let it eat... If that doesn't work then I will more then likely take it to the local gun angel...

Another thing I haven't done is switched the barrel over to the 28" field barrel, I will take it along and see if anything is different....

Barrel was tight, gun was field cleaned... the action just seems very tight and jamming up on ramdom occasion...

Do strip it, clean it, oil it and shoot it. If you feel uncomfortable about taking it all the way down, there are several YouTube videos on doing this. No real tools needed. All guns need this done when new. Lots of entries here with same of similar problems. Thorough cleaning and lube fixes most of them.

One pin to push out and it all comes apart. Cartridge stop and interrupter will fall out when you remove the trigger assembly. You don't have to have real gunsmith knowledge to do this. When you do this once, the next time will be a lot easier. About a 10 minute job and it will make a world of difference.

Good luck but you will not need luck. I can do it, you can do it. Most of us here have done it and very few of us got schooled on it.

IF after cleaning and repeated attempts to break the weapon in do not give you your desired outcome, I highly recommend sending it back to Mossberg. If you'll have a bit of patience, I believe they will get your 500 running properly for you. They do seem to be pretty backlogged, but they also seem to do pretty darn good work. Good luck and take care. Tom Worthington.

It sounds like the action lock lever is occasionally binding. When the shotgun fires the action lock lever is suposed to drop down and allow the action to be cycled. If the action lock lever hangs up and doesn't drop, then problem you described is pretty much what one would expect. Does the slide release button (action lock lever) operate freely or does it feel gritty and catchy or stick in the up position when it is pressed? It should move freely and reset under spring tension to its rest position.

Also...You can bind up the action release lever by pulling against the forend, it won't drop out of the way until the pressure against it is released.

If it was an ammunition/chamber issue severe enough to bind the shotgun up, you'd most likely pull the extractors off the rim of the shell when you....

I would have at least on time where the pump action would really hang up, to the point that I would grab the forearm and slam the butt of the gun on the ground and it would break free. I would reload and the same thing would happen again. It would not happen on any certain round, just at random. I tried different brand of shells and got the same results.

If I had this situation I would, while keeping the shotgun pointed in a safe direction, take my finger off the trigger, push the slide slightly forward and then re-attempt to operate slide. If that didn't work, then with the shotgun still pointed in a safe direction and my finger off the trigger, I'd depress the action release button and attempt to cycle the action.

I dunno? You may have already tried these suggestions and still have an issue with it randomly sticking closed after firing...At least for the most part you can rule out the action release lever as being the culprit, by making sure it is operating properly.

Back