• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

500 Mariner Question

I ran across a MB 500 Mariner at a gun show. The seller wants 289.00. It is new, but his gunshop burned and this one has cosmetic damage from the smoke (there are dark places in the finish), but no other damage. The box and the pistol grip were lost in the fire.

Good deal?

Does the Mariner offer anything another 500 doesn't?

Seller/dealer says it is new with warranty.

He has plenty of other 500s in the $300-400 range. I like the silver look - even with the discoloration.

JC

Re: 500 Mariner Question

I would be extremely leary of buying any firearm that's been through a fire and the external damage should be the least of your worries. Depending on the severity of the fire, the extreme heat could have done unseen damage to the internal small parts, springs, etc. The firearm needs to be fully inspected by a qualified gunsmith before you even consider buying it.

To be honest, I'm really surprised he's even legally allowed to sell this shotgun. It just doesn't seem right to me...

Re: New 500 owner question

TraumaHawk2011 said:
Good to know guys, just picked up my first 12g shotgun today and want to know as much as possible about it. I got a 500 Persuader/Cruiser. Anything specific to my gun I should know? Or are the instructions the same as above?

Sent from my IPhone 4s
Avoid heavy loads with the pistol grip it came with. That is unless you like punishing your wrists and arms. In that case. Don't you worry about a thing :twisted:. Other than that, the same instructions apply.

Re: 500 Mariner Question

Haggle him down to $200-250 and have the gun inspected by someone who knows what kind of issues to look for.

mini shells and dragons fire or what ever the novelty round of the week is shouldn't be shot...
well, not so much because of the gun, because they are dumb....

If you try the pistol grip that came on the gun and just find it beating up your hand, try one of these:

http://www.atigunstocks.com/tactical-sh ... -grip.html

I really like the one I have on mine, made the whole experience pain free. I enjoy shooting with the pistol grip, now. Not so much, with the original grip. You can put a conventional stock on the gun, also. Be aware, most folks sell the conventional stock without the bolt to retain the stock, you'd have to get one of those too. That long bolt doesn't come with the models that are originally equipped with pistol grips only.

I think you'll enjoy your new purchase. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Mossberg magazine trouble

I bought a magazine tube off e-bay that was supposed to fit a Mossbverg 500. It will not fit the 500 that I have. The tube is the right length and the right threads. The trouble is that this tube has two metal bands approx. 1/4 inch wide soldered about 6 inches and 9 inches from the front end. Anyone got any idea what this tube might fit. Thanks for any info.

Re: Mossberg magazine trouble

My computer skills a limited when it comes to pictures. I forgot to add that it has a bronze spring
about 1 and 3/4 coils under the bottom metal band.

Mossy 500 unlock on firing

Hello everyone.Im making my first post here.Ive got a Western Field(Montgomery Wards)550 ABD 12 ga.Ive bought a Mossy 500 replacement barrel for it.Each time I fire a shell the action will open about one inch or so.It will cycle ok and seems to be locked before I pull the trigger.Any Ideas why this is happening.The barrel that was made on this gun never did this sort of thing.Thanks alot.Scott.

Re: Mossberg magazine trouble

A 500 magazine tube shouldnt have anything soldered to it, but the metal bands sounds like a 590 magazine tube. I dont have a clue on the bronze spring.

can you email pics to me?

Re: Mossy 500 unlock on firing

All of my pumps will unlock the bolt after I fire a shell. Except when using low brass, which are very weak.

But high brass, and turkey loads and magnums and the likes will unlock so you don't have to press the button between every shot.

If it will unlock without shooting, you have a problem. If it unlocks after you pull the trigger...normal

This isn't exclusive to mossberg 500's. It does it with other brands I own as well

But since I cannot physically check the gun for you in person, if you feel it is malfunctioning, by all means have it checked by someone that knows what they're doing that can.

Re: Mossy 500 unlock on firing

John A. said:
All of my pumps will unlock the bolt after I fire a shell. Except when using low brass, which are very weak.

But high brass, and turkey loads and magnums and the likes will unlock so you don't have to press the button between every shot.

If it will unlock without shooting, you have a problem. If it unlocks after you pull the trigger...normal

This isn't exclusive to mossberg 500's. It does it with other brands I own as well

But since I cannot physically check the gun for you in person, if you feel it is malfunctioning, by all means have it checked by someone that knows what they're doing that can.

This is 100% correct. Good post, John A.

I'm quite honestly surprised that an older, smoothed-out and broken in action/barrel assembly actually doesn't unlock. That's rather odd.

Tacstar Side Saddle Fell Off!!

So... before i bought the side saddle i read some reviews on youtube about it, and how to install it the best way possible. On one of the videos someone stated that using "lock tight" would be a good idea because the small screws that come with it would eventually fall out. well i have put approx 600 shells through my Mossberg 500 and i can definately see how the screws could have fallen out through the hard usage of the shotgun. i did manage to save 1 screw, but then lost it (my fault). Anways, i dont have any screws to keep the shell holder onto the plate that is attached to the shotgun. I want to keep it setup this way FOR GOOD. can someone tell me what size screws i need???? and should i use locktight and if so what kind. PLEASE HELP!!! :?

I have put around 600 shells through my Mossberg 500 Persuader (7+1 20" Barrel)
I have shot:
2 3/4 #8 bird shot- Approx. 500-570 shells
2 3/4 00Buckshot- Approx. 10 shells
2 3/4 Rifled Slugs - Approx. 10 shells
3" Magnum Rifled Slugs- Approx. 10 shells

The ones that HURT the most were the 3" slugs, talk about hard hitting recoil!! the 00 buckshot wasnt that bad but it had some kick, the 2 3/4 slugs were kickers too, i usually shoot cheap ol #8 bird shot for my practice, and to shoot clays. I personally wouldnt shoot steel out of mine, and i wouldnt waste money on sabots, if you want slugs get "rifled". I know my Mossberg 500 Persuader is a RELIABLE shotgun, Very happy to own it.

Brookelynngreen said:
I have put around 600 shells through my Mossberg 500 Persuader (7+1 20" Barrel)
I have shot:
2 3/4 #8 bird shot- Approx. 500-570 shells
2 3/4 00Buckshot- Approx. 10 shells
2 3/4 Rifled Slugs - Approx. 10 shells
3" Magnum Rifled Slugs- Approx. 10 shells

The ones that HURT the most were the 3" slugs, talk about hard hitting recoil!! the 00 buckshot wasnt that bad but it had some kick, the 2 3/4 slugs were kickers too, i usually shoot cheap ol #8 bird shot for my practice, and to shoot clays. I personally wouldnt shoot steel out of mine, and i wouldnt waste money on sabots, if you want slugs get "rifled". I know my Mossberg 500 Persuader is a RELIABLE shotgun, Very happy to own it.

Pushing out on the forend while puling on the stock can help negate much of the recoil as it transfers it to your muscles rather then your shoulder

3" slugs!!!! I've heard of these but have never seen one. The 2.75" slugs are bad enough. LOL

Back