• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Mossberg 500 forend difference?

MikeD said:
You will have to measure the forend tube on your gun to see which size you will need.

If you have the 7 5/8" tube you should be good to go for any forend, you will just need the spacer if you get the shorter one.

If your gun has the shorter tube you will be limited to only those that will fit the 6 1/2" tube.

You will have to check the specs on the one you wish to buy to determine if it will fit what you have. This may involve a call to the vendor if it is not specified in the ad or wherever you saw it. The overall length of a forend is not dependant on the size of the tube. Some are longer and overlap the receiver a bit and some are shorter and more easily allow the use of a side sadle shell holder.

If you have a pinned forend you will have to buy a new tube. I'm not familiar enough with exchanging parts on these to know if a longer tube will fit on a gun originally equipped with the short tube. I know the people at Havlin can answer that for you.

I still need to measure my tube to make sure it is the right one but is there another piece I need to lock in the forend. The factory wood forend has a threaded cap that locks the forend in place. The new forend from Tapco doesn't come with one and the factory one doesn't fit. The forend moves all over the place now as it is. Any ideas what I am missing?

Re: Mossberg 500 forend difference?

imhubes said:
I still need to measure my tube to make sure it is the right one but is there another piece I need to lock in the forend. The factory wood forend has a threaded cap that locks the forend in place. The new forend from Tapco doesn't come with one and the factory one doesn't fit. The forend moves all over the place now as it is. Any ideas what I am missing?

When you say it doesn't fit are you talking about wobble or is it sliding forward and back?

Without seeing what you have I would guess that the forend you bout from Tapco is for a 6 1/2" tube and you have a 7 5/8" tube.

My bad, looks like I may have had my info backwards, the hogue nut is for installing a long forend on a short forend tube, I thought it was the other way around. DOH! Sorry for any confusion I created.

Hogue adaptor at Midway USA

Let me see if there are spacers for going the opther way, I swear I have seen them before but cannot find them now. I know you can get a shorter forend tube from Havlin if that is the issue.

Re: New 500 owner question

You can shoot pretty much anything you want.

You can shoot sabots without any harm to the gun, you will just not have the same level of accuracy as you will with rifled slugs and you will be spending a lot more on ammo.

Steel shot can be hard on a barrel, off hand I'm not sure if that barrel can handle it, usually only waterfowl barrels/chokes are designed for it. This is usually more of a concern with more restrictive chokes as the steel shot is harder then the steel in the barrel and will eventually wear out the choke.

Just make sure you are using the right guage ammo and don't try to shoot 3.5" magnums through it and you will be fine.

Re: New 500 owner question

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Hunter991 !!

Re: Mossberg Hate...and some questions

As far as actual Mossberg hate goes. I attribute that to factions among the population that detest a great design and good price point simply because somebody else and not them came up with the idea.

so when will we be getting that vid?

and realistically, the pump action shotgun is a mature design. there isn't a whole lot that anyone is doing to them to improve the design.

Sorry I havent done the vid yet... I have a lot goin on, but I will get to it.

I went into my local shop to ask about AR parts once and the guy behind the counter sneered at me when I told him I was building my own and wanted to talk to get some advise. He waved his hand in the direction of the ones they had for sale on the rack and said,

"Why the hell would you build one of those? Just buy one off the rack."

He then began to tell me about all of the 1911's he builds and how he has boxes and boxes of parts for them.

Needless to say opinions are all over the place. Mention a Ford im the midst of Chevy fanboys and you get the same effect. People in general seem to have become very polerized in their opinions and have lost the art of polite discussion. "You're wrong because..."

Had a guy once tell me, I don't like those kinds of guns (AK), I smiled and with a chuckle replied....Well...I didn't buy it for you! :lol:

Ripsnortr said:
I went into my local shop to ask about AR parts once and the guy behind the counter sneered at me when I told him I was building my own and wanted to talk to get some advise. He waved his hand in the direction of the ones they had for sale on the rack and said,

"Why the hell would you build one of those? Just buy one off the rack."

He then began to tell me about all of the 1911's he builds and how he has boxes and boxes of parts for them.

Needless to say opinions are all over the place. Mention a Ford im the midst of Chevy fanboys and you get the same effect. People in general seem to have become very polerized in their opinions and have lost the art of polite discussion. "You're wrong because..."
ofcourse he wasn't wanting you to build one, he's trying to move inventory and probably didn't have AR parts.

oh yeah you think thats funny.............Colt sucks.....bam........buy a cz, dont care anymore........fan boy in the house.....my homie a cop said buy a cz ftw.....you guys dont know nutn bout no zombies

oli700 said:
oh yeah you think thats funny.............Colt sucks.....bam........buy a cz, dont care anymore........fan boy in the house.....my homie a cop said buy a cz ftw.....you guys dont know nutn bout no zombies

I think Oli700 is happy that it's Friday.

Either that, or he's all hopped-up on gun powder again.

:lol:

yeah its friday....and I am being kinda weird

Dang... If it aint a .45 youre shootin blanks. And a 1911 that a .45 aint a 1911.

Kinda like that? I'm playin this game too! :lol:

the only reason to shoot a 45 is cuz they dont make a 46.hahaha....man I tell ya goes bang everytime

I only carry guns that are matte black and have those rail thingies to attach lights, bayonets, lasers, coffee cups, DVR's and stuff from.

Back