• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: ithaca Hate...and some questions

ithaca lol......not going to get me this year pal

500a Slide wont lock forward

Hi, New to the Site and forum and I have a question about an older (late 60's - early 70"s) Mossberg 500a, 20 guage, made for Western Field as a 550cr. It's a friends keepsake, his first shotgun, and it has a problem (or two). The fore end doesn't lock forward, regardless if loaded or not, and we hope ya'll can direct us to a path to solution. Maybe the action slide tube assembly?

Worse yet, he sent it to a "gunsmith" who disasembled it, kept it for 11 months and never fixed it. It was returned with the parts in a zip lock bag. The trigger assembly is intact. So prior to the reassembly I hoped someone would direct me as to where to look first to solve the problem of the pump not catching in the forward position....help?!
I'm hoping currently avalible Mossberg 500a parts will fit this baby. :?:

Re: 500a Slide wont lock forward

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum GunTech !!

Can't help with that problem, but hang tight...someone will be along shortly !!

Have you disassembled the firearm?
does everything move freely.
I suspect there is a bit of sticking.

Howdy Gun Tech and welcome to the club....

Fronty, the so called "gunsmith" disassembled it and sent it back in peices in a baggie....

I will check to see if it is compatatable with newer parts. Whats the serial number?

ripjack13 said:
Howdy Gun Tech and welcome to the club....

Fronty, the so called "gunsmith" disassembled it and sent it back in peices in a baggie....

I will check to see if it is compatatable with newer parts. Whats the serial number?
I musta failed reading comprehension in grade skool... :lol:

Anyway, make sure stuff like the locking lug on the bolt isn't stuck in the down position or the release lever isn't stuck.

How extensively is the gun disassembled?

It sounds like the action release isn't in there the way it should be. The FCG can be over tricky to get back together right. I would send it to OFM or a real gunsmith that actually knows how to put it back together right. There are YouTube videos of it, but I haven't seen one that was real clear and descriptive with good quality video that properly shows the parts and procedures. It is an assembly that is easy to get wrong and you do NOT want to fire it like that.

GunTech said:
So prior to the reassembly I hoped someone would direct me as to where to look first to solve the problem

GunTech said:
returned with the parts in a zip lock bag.

well there's your problem, put it together then try it

After reading this thread, I have a question.

WHAT KIND OF GUNSMITH keeps a gun for 11 MONTHS then returns it in plastic bags????????
Especially such a simple design as a 500A?????

Sorry for this, but I am in one of those critical state of minds and I say
B. S.!!!!!

If this is true than it is more than likely a function of the Action Slide Release which is part of the trigger assembly.
Any TRUE Gunsmith can fix this gun in a matter of minutes.....NOT MONTHS!
Heck most of the 500 guys on here could get this working!!!!

I have seen many TROLLS on forums so I am real cautious of questions like this from new posters.

LTB45 said:

WHAT KIND OF GUNSMITH keeps a gun for 11 MONTHS then returns it in plastic bags????????
the kind that scare me from buying used firearms...

Fronty Owner said:
LTB45 said:

the kind that scare me from buying used firearms...

I have NO FEAR of used guns, but then I know more than a couple of really good gunsmiths that would NEVER do something like that.
Besides, when it comes to any of my 3 (Bought Used) 500's, I have never needed a smith for any of the work they may have needed. I do it myself.

I could see this "gunsmith" making the shotgun a 3-1/2" chamber or some home-made back boring too..

550's are pretty darn simple, they actually have fewer parts than a 500. A gunsmith that hang onto a 550 for eleven months and then returns it in a ziploc bag...Hummmm?....Yeah...Thats odd...

New 500 owner question

Good to know guys, just picked up my first 12g shotgun today and want to know as much as possible about it. I got a 500 Persuader/Cruiser. Anything specific to my gun I should know? Or are the instructions the same as above?

Sent from my IPhone 4s

Back