• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: New Mossberg 500 Shell ejection issue

Make sure you are not "short shucking" the slide. I have never had a problem with it but I saw a Hickok 45 vid about "short shucking" the slide. When you are fulling back on the slide, make sure to be firm and pull it all the way back past the point of resistance which is where the shell starts to make contact with the ejector.

jamming

i recently purchased a mossberg 500 from a gun show and it had large zip ties run through to prevent from pumping . once i got home i soon relized that it jamms every time i try t pump a shell . the shell gets jammed and them pump has to be tapped with rubber malet just to release pump. please help

firing pin hanging

Hi, This is my first post here. I have a 5ooA that's about 14 years old. I've always had good luck with it until recently. I let my son use it on a recent father /son pheasant hunt and the gun didn't fire on the first bird he put up, I chalked that up to some cheap estate shells he was using. I threw my slug barrel on and had a chance to fill two deer tags today. The gun would not fire, I cycled 4 shells through it and each one has a light imprint on the primer. It was very cold today and I don't know if the firing pin gummed up due to the light film of Lucas gun oil I put on it or if this is something else. Do you folks lube up your bolts or leave them dry. :?:

Re: firing pin hanging

Welcome to the forum from NY. How cold was it?
I would give the bolt a good cleaning and put a little Hoppes gun oil on it.
Also I would check give the trigger assembly a good cleaning and look over.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for responding Mossy, I'm in Western NY, it was 21degrees with a 15mph crosswind. (My stand is 20ft. up). I tear the gun down each season and give it a good cleaning with Remington action cleaner/degreaser then put a light coat of either Lucas gun oil or Rem oil on it. I had a similar problem with another gun about 20 years ago. I was using WD 40 on it and it gummed up the action on me. I degreased it and it was okay. I've also been warned not to use things like Butches Bore bright on the action because it will keep bringing crudd up.

rustypipes12 said:
Thanks for responding Mossy, I'm in Western NY, it was 21degrees with a 15mph crosswind. (My stand is 20ft. up). I tear the gun down each season and give it a good cleaning with Remington action cleaner/degreaser then put a light coat of either Lucas gun oil or Rem oil on it. I had a similar problem with another gun about 20 years ago. I was using WD 40 on it and it gummed up the action on me. I degreased it and it was okay. I've also been warned not to use things like Butches Bore bright on the action because it will keep bringing crudd up.

Try just a good cleaning and see what happens with no oil. Could have been with the wind chill factor and low temp.

Merged Thread,,,,,,,,,,,,i just got a 500 tac 18.5 " and can only get to shells in ??? whats the fix . and when u shake it sounds like the spring has play
thanks

They come with a restricting dowel in the mag tube. Take the barrel off and turn the gun upside down and shake out the dowel.

,,,,,and congrats on your new Mossy. you get a chance post a pic. :)

Merged Thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I recently purchased a Mossberg 500 cruiser. Using snap caps I cannot load more than 2 into the magazine. Why is this? And how to do I fix it? Thank you.

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new Mossy.

They come with a wooden restricting dowel in the mag tube.

You need to remove the barrel and turn the gun upside down a nd the dowel will come out.

old mossy said:
Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new Mossy.

They come with a wooden restricting dowel in the mag tube.

You need to remove the barrel and turn the gun upside down a nd the dowel will come out.

That wooden dowel the bane of my existence! Mine got stuck sideways on the end of the spring and took hours to dislodge it!!

Hello,

New to the board, just picked up a new Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader. Well I get home and go to load it up and find it has that 2+1 limiter stick in it. I get the stick removed but now things go from bad to worse... At first, the Magazine Tube would stick. I mean it was hard to push in. I couldn't use a shell, I had to use my thumb to get it loose and then I could put a shell in it. The remaining 4 shells went in with no problem. I could unload it and reload it from time to time with no problems what so ever. But every other time or so it would jam up again when I go to load that first shell. I take it back to Turners where I got it and they say, I need to put a bit of oil in the magazine tube and go and shoot it. I am not a shotgun guy so I go with it. I go home, put a small amount of lube on my finger and work it in the inside of the magazine tube. Load and unload a few rounds, still sticks from time to time as it did before. I let it sit a bit and now its damn near impossible to load any rounds in the tube.

Anyone else have this issue or ever even hear of it?!? Any ideas?

Not really wanting to ship it back to Mossberg as I am sure it will be gone for a few months but maybe that is the best thing to do? Or maybe just go see a gunsmith?

Any thoughts on the problem or the solution would be awesome.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum from NY. Sorry to hear you are having a problem.

Sounds like the mag follower is jamming up.

Give Turners a call and see if they have anyone to look at it for you.

Trying to save you shipping it back to Mossberg.

Keep us posted.

So I picked this gun up in a trade a couple years ago. Trade a net book for a Mossberg 500 in Woodlands Camo (You know the REALLY ugly camo) and also an old Springfield 22. Anyway it's been a great but but recently it's started light striking from time to time. My first thought was well it's dirty. So I cleaned it up. Took it back out and it did it again but not as much. Right now I have 3 500's in my possession. A 1972 with no firing pin spring and the so called rocker action. This one is a friends that I'm putting new extractors and springs into as well as having Mossberg blue the barrel. Then I have my 1981 Westernfield store brand 500 that has a very weak firing pin spring. Then finally this 2000 500 that has a very stiff firing spring.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'm likely to call Mossberg this week if I get time but wanted to seek some web advise as well.

Here's a pic. The top gun is the 22 I got with the trade and the bottom gun is the 500 in question however it's now wearing a 28 inch barrel.

Sounds like it could be the trigger assembly and or bolt.

Seeing how you have a few 500's try switching around the trigger assembly's and bolts.

Keep us posted on the problem.

It sounds like you've been very thorough.

But if it got better with some cleaning, I'd try to soak the bolt overnight in some lacquer thinner or brake cleaner, etc just to make sure there isn't any excessive fouling inside the bolt that may be hindering the firing pin movement. I'm unsure if you just cleaned and wiped off the exterior or if you got down to a very detailed cleaning.

It is also possible that the area around the hammer may be fouled and gritted up from old grease and lube as old mossy has pointed out already.

It's also possible that the firing pin has worn down some with a lot of use and the hammer spring may have become a little weak too. Or maybe if you're using a new brand of shells, maybe they have harder primers, which is the case with a lot of imported ammo these days.

On a side note, my 1999'ish Mossberg 500 was identical to yours when I first got it. Ugly camo and all LOL

The gun shot horrible patterns with everything I ever shot in it. I almost sold it altogether when I decided to give it a last ditch effort and replace the barrel, and it has shot really well ever since. I gave the barrel away and was "this close" to selling it for scrap metal. Looking back, I'm glad I hung onto it. It's been a really good gun after that. As for shotguns are concerned, it's one of my "main grabs" now.

Back