• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Breacher Barrel Specs?

Doc is correct...the 590a1 has an aluminum trigger guard and safety, and a heavier barrel, intended for military use under extreme conditions and rough handling; a metal trigger guard was added in response to the 3443G materials requirements, and the heavy barrel was added at the request of the Navy.

I can't find the exact barrel wall dimensions either.

What I can tell you is that heatshields designed for 500/590 barrels WILL fit the 500/590 breacher barrels, but WILL NOT fit 590a1 barrels. That tells me that although the breacher barrels may seem thicker, they're still not the same dimensions as the more robust 590a1 barrels.

Great. Thanks for the info guys. Like I said the breacher barrel does seem thicker. Although I wasn't sure if it was on par with the A1

500C 20 Gauge Question

Hello! I'm new to this site but not to Mossbergs. I would like to know where I can get a pistol grip and heat shield for a 500c 20 gauge. Your assistance is appreciated.

Re: 500C 20 Gauge Question

Mossberg makes a cruiser pistol grip for the 500C. I checked Brownell and they catalog them, though it looks like they are currently out of stock.

BTW welcome to Mossberg owners!

Re: 500C 20 Gauge Question

I have a hogue pistol grip for a mossberg 500 12ga and it fits right on my 500 20ga also. It overlaps the receiver ever so slightly, but it looks fine. So any pistol grip for a 500 12ga should fit your 500c 20ga. I don't know about a heat shield though.

Maverick 88/Mossberg 500 forearm conversion

Hi, I'm new to this forum, having just found it. I have a question, and hope someone here can help me out.

A good friend of mine has a Maverick 88 (with the cheap pinned forearm). For the second time now, the corner where the pin is has broken, leaving the gun worthless. I read on the web where many have converted over to the Mossberg 500 forearm assembly, but my friend's Maverick only has a slot for one slide bar. What is the solution? Cutting one bar off the new slide tube? Drill/mill a slot in the front of his receiver?

All tips/advice appreciated!

Re: Maverick 88/Mossberg 500 forearm conversion

Personally, I would replace the old one a third time and consider getting a new Maverick with the dual action bars .

The problem is, that gets costly after a while, even if you can find the forearms at a good price. It doesn't say much for Mossberg that they marketed such junk to start with. The first time it broke, I was the one shooting the gun when it broke. We were out in his yard shooting at a flock of chimneysweeps when I racked it back, and it failed to return the bolt to battery.

I bought him another forearm and replaced it. He was shooting it a while back and it broke again. And he is NOT a frequent shooter. It's just that a tiny corner of plastic doesn't hold up well to the stress of racking a pump-gun to start with, and having all that stress on one flimsy corner because you're too cheap to put two bars on the gun just seals the deal for a trouble-prone situation.

You can get a mossberg tube, and cut one of the action bars off. I would go with the longer tube for more options in the replacement forearm arena.
I would retire the old single bar gun and get a new dual bar version. You may be getting some wear inside that is causing it to bind a bit.

I support Fronty, if you fix one weak spot then the stress is just going to start working on the next weakest spot, so on. Eventually the single bar might bend if you beef up other spots.

As I said, he (my friend) doesn't shoot a whole lot, so I know the gun isn't "worn" enough to mention. I don't want to offend anyone, but I can't for the life of me figure out how Mossberg ever got by with producing/marketing such a piece of junk. I mean, this isn't the 40's and 50's when steel was steel. They're marketing a pump-action shotgun, which, by its very nature involves pumping, with a single slide bar PINNED in the corner of a PLASTIC forearm. Not a matter of if, but a matter of when it's gonna fail.

If I had not already owned 2 Mossberg 500s prior to seeing his Maverick 88, I would say Mossberg was nothing but junk!

I'm guessing 12 to 15 years old. Why do you say 20? He got it used from his brother, who, as far as I know, bought it new.

1990 was when Maverick switched from one to two action bars.
1970 was when Mossberg switched from one to two action bars.

Gotcha. I didn't know that...matter of fact, I know next to nothing about the Mavericks, aside that from my limited experience, I don't want to own one. Maybe some of them are better, but the single-bar, plastic forearmed models seem like poorly engineered junk.

I've owned two 500s, one bought probably 25 years ago, and then another (which I still own) that I bought about 10 years ago. Both of them have been pretty good guns. Neither in my opinion measures up to an 870, but then they didn't cost near as much either.

As to the issue at hand, I'm going to check his out more thoroughly next time I'm at his house and see what our options are. I'm considering the drill/mill option, though I may just recommend, (as someone suggested), just cutting one bar off a 500 tube and rigging it that way. I just wonder why several have posted that they just put the 500 tube on, as thought their 88 already had the slot on the off side. Maybe some had slots on both sides?

look over the internals real close before milling on the receiver. Make sure there is room inside for the second action bar and the receiver has a milled channel for the action bar.

I have a Maverick that is about 7 or 8 years old and I have run it hard without issue. I have the short action tube in mine (field version).

According to Brownells, your looking at $70.00 for the tube, $26.99 for the forearm, and $12.99 for the nut.
Your REAL close to the cost of a new maverick.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/si ... A-12-Gauge for reference.

Chokes

one noob question I have right off the bat is about picking a barrel with the right choke
I have mossberg 500
I want to try shooting clays.
I know I need a long barrel for that.
pretty sure i want 28" vent rib
Anyone here have one for sale?
If not, how do I pick the right choke? is it mod or full that I want?
thanks!
Mike.

Re: Chokes

Which barrel do you have on your Mossberg 500? Most will use a 28" vented ribbed barrel with a variety of chokes depending on what sport you are shooting.

Back