• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

CCB....bring me up to speed:
Is the Hogue foregrip made for the Shockwave or did you chop it?
How do you like the LaserLyte V4?
Where did you get these two products?

The Hogue is for the 590 (maybe the 500 too, I don't recall), and requires a saw and a block of sandpaper to make it fit. I tried a few different ways, hoping I wouldn't have to cut it, but it's just too long to fit without lopping off the end. I'll probably buy another, rather than cleaning this one up, as they're inexpensive. I found the V4 on my daughter's M&P 15-22. ;)

Update: As much as I like the small/lightweight MFT Torch, I've decided the TLR-1 is a better option for the 3 o'clock location.
It's much brighter and momentary/constant-on is easily managed w/the middle finger of the support hand.

Also, I've ordered an S&J +1 590 extension (from Canada, no less) that they assure me will work w/on the Shockwave (should protrude .75" beyond the muzzle if my measurements are accurate).
I'll post all my Shockwave experiment leftovers (rails, grips, clips, mag tube clamps, CDM light mount, etc) as soon as I have sufficient time/posts to list in the classifieds here.

Tomac

I, too, would like a report on the LaserLyte V4. That looks like something I need to add to mine when I get it.

Joe

Get a green laser, if you can. The green laser is much more visible in the daytime than the red. The red laser disappears in the daylight. The cost difference is not that much. You can find lasers in the same model with green or red lasers. You can also find laser/light combos for under $180.

I just split the Hogue nearly in two at the range, so I guess their quality isn't what it used to be. Or it could be all that hammering and grinding it took, plus being taken off and put back on two dozen times in two days. I may have to settle on a Magpul, which would be my 2nd to last choice for this firearm.

I kept the original forearm from Mossberg. I like the design and it fits my hands. I was concerned about my hand possibly slipping on the forearm so I stippled the raised ridges of the forearm improving the gripability of the forearm. I then removed the safety strap because I was having some problems getting my hand into the strap quickly and cleanly. Just to be safe (and to keep my fingers), I installed a hand stop on the forearm. You can see it here:

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/stippling-the-mossberg-forearm.17604/

I've used Hogue pistol grips for a long time, and have one of their forends on my 870, a full stock on my Howa 1500, plus their stock and grip sets on two of my MSRs. Their rubber has just the right amount of grip to it, and I prefer that over stippled polymer. The Shockwave is just a range toy, but the stock grip takes some of the fun out of that.

Hold on hoss you lost me at just range toy... let's try again. Haha

It's not my first choice for home defense, if that's what you're thinking - I've got plenty of other better weapons for that role. As the new guy here, I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with y'all, but I see posts like "the pattern opens up too much after 30 yards". That's not a defensive range. And if you're engaging someone at 30 yards with your Shockwave, you've pretty much brought a spoon to a gun fight. If you live in an apartment (and can mitigate over-penetration) or a small home, I could see it being a consideration. But a larger home, or decent piece of land, it's just not what I would choose first.

It's not my first choice for home defense, if that's what you're thinking - I've got plenty of other better weapons for that role. As the new guy here, I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with y'all, but I see posts like "the pattern opens up too much after 30 yards". That's not a defensive range. And if you're engaging someone at 30 yards with your Shockwave, you've pretty much brought a spoon to a gun fight. If you live in an apartment (and can mitigate over-penetration) or a small home, I could see it being a consideration. But a larger home, or decent piece of land, it's just not what I would choose first.

I have a variety of uses for my Shockwave.
I do not consider it to be my primary home defense weapon. While in bed, there is a 14 round Glock 30S with light and night sights next to my bed. There is a Shockwave tucked into the bed frame, and an AR15 sitting in the corner. This allows me to choose what I need at the time, depending on circumstances. I sweep my house with the Glock. If some “issue” presents itself outside, the AR is my choice, but the Shockwave will be close by for added comfort. So, I claim my Shockwave to be a “part” of my home defense plan. During the day my Shockwave rides with me in my pickup truck and on my golf cart, along with my Glock 30S. Snakes are easier to shoot with a shotgun rather than a pistol, especially with 70 year old eyes. Shooting Federal 00 Buckshot with Flight Control gets me a tighter pattern and extra yardage. If I happen to be buying gas in a convenience store and someone causes problems, he will quickly respect the 12 gauge staring at him. I don’t like labels on guns as to what they are. They are what each person wants them to be as long as they are comfortable in their use. Many people choose a shotgun for their primary home defense weapon. I respect that choice, because I would rather see a dead bad guy than a dead good guy, even if there are more holes in the wall.
By the way, I never got a blistered palm or bloddied thumb webbing from the Shockwave as you stated. Perhaps you should work on your technique. And, I find the stock grip to be much nicer to shoot than a pistol grip.

Last edited:
Well said Rico! I`m working on my technique now and getting better with every round I fire!

For HD at home I primarily go to the 88 with a slug/buckshot combo but the shockwave is also an option I have it loaded with mini buck.

Hey Elbert.
You open a Pandora's Box.
6 shells, 5...4...?
Mounted or Velcro?
Receiver mount or a full length rail/side saddle mount one piece. (https://www.ammoland.com/2017/10/black-aces-tactical-quad-rail-shell-holder-mossberg-shockwave/#axzz4wTczwOxY) Search this site for what Rampo did. You might want to search this thread or the 590 thread and see what others are doing. Then get back to us and narrow down the choices.
I like the GG&G side saddle. https://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-500-590-side-saddle-shell-holder.html
But, it is expensive. Consider what you like and what you are willing to spend on all modifications. Keep a running tally.
It will add up.

Last edited:
Hey Elbert.
You open a Pandora's Box.
6 shells, 5...4...?
Mounted or Velcro?
Receiver mount or a full length rail/side saddle mount one piece. (https://www.ammoland.com/2017/10/black-aces-tactical-quad-rail-shell-holder-mossberg-shockwave/#axzz4wTczwOxY) Search this site for what Rampo did. You might want to search this thread or the 590 thread and see what others are doing. Then get back to us and narrow down the choices.
I like the GG&G side saddle. https://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-500-590-side-saddle-shell-holder.html
But, it is expensive. Consider what you like and what you are willing to spend on all modifications. Keep a running tally.
It will add up.

Thanks, I want to try and keep it simple as possible..... I`m thinking 4 or 5 and mounted.

Love that Shockwave!!!
yRuXDTz.jpg

Back