• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Pump Action Accumag Chokes

Yes, this will work nicely! I wasn't crazy about the cost of the ammo, but I was prepared to spend $2+ on buckshot. The XR is the same price excluding shipping. If I can source it locally ill be a happy boy in that regard.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to keep the 835 close and ready with this set up, and the next time my neighbor comes to pick me up in the kabota to cruise around the farm to look for dogs, this is what I'll take with me.

If I can get a solid answer on the exit diameter of the tube, I'll be happy to pass it on. That kind of info can be golden and I would even say necessary for purely impirical data so it can be applied to other circumstances and conditions.

I forgot to mention one of the best parts!

I love the way this load fires! It kicks and is surprising but isn't uncomfortable in any way, and it's noticeably louder. I can't remember a shotgun blast making my ears ring when fired outside and not under cover of some sort like a barn awning but these did. Weird.

Is that the only load that does it in the 835?

I found my micrometer today while going through some stuff in the barn so I measured that coyote choke.

It's a little loose but I'm fairly certain the exit diameter is .690. It would read .695 and when I ran it back down it said .005. It did this a few times so I'm calling it .690 which is what the tech at Carlson's had told me.

So this is not a turkey choke, it may be an extra full for the 10 gauge dimensions but it isn't the extra extra full of say the Truglo I have on loan from RipJack. It would be a constriction of .08.

I also shot another 50 yard pattern today adjusted for POI as the last time I tried to do the opposite of flinching and actually rocked back pulling the barrel high as I fired. I couldn't find several pellets so today I tried again and fired 50 yards cold and let the gun surprise me.

I found every pellet on the target and within a 41-3/8" diameter and 60 of 74 pellets in 30". Roughly an 80% pattern at 50 yards. If yall want another boring pic I'll post it. In any case, that's respectable at that distance from a 20" barrel. My 50 yard pattern with the 835 is better than the 25 yard pattern with the 500. The 20" 500 in this scenario is truly a scatter gun.

I was under the assumption that my choke is an Improved Modified...(remembering that it screws into the barrel and then further constricts it down from .670 to .635 = .025 = IM )

BTW...Your choke is measured in micrometers...my 1st list (above) is showing fractions of an inch.

Meaning your .670 choke is an Improved Modified...remembering that it screws into your barrel and then further constricts down to .635 = .025 = IM

And at the yardage you describe testing on the pallet ( 20 yds )...damn right it's gonna be a tight group...( but good luck getting a yote in that close !! )

===================================================================

Here's a list that breaks that down:

Micrometers..................Inches..................American Name

0.................................... .000......................... Cylinder
127................................ .005......................... Skeet
254................................ .010......................... Improved Cylinder
381..................................015......................... Light Modified
508................................ .020......................... Modified
635................................ .025......................... Improved Modified
762................................ .030......................... Light Full
889................................ .035..........................Full
1143.............................. .045......................... Extra Full
1270.............................. .055......................... Super Full

===================================================================

Hope I made that clear... :cool:

My 50 yard pattern with the 835 is better than the 25 yard pattern with the 500.

I told ya the 835 is awesome....hence why I named mine "Mighty"....

Could it be that 14 pellets were missing in the first place? Or are you just chalking it up to it missed the board completely?

Dude...we all love pix here....

I was under the assumption that my choke is an Improved Modified...(remembering that it screws into the barrel and then further constricts it down from .670 to .635 = .025 = IM )

Right and this is where it all gets interesting, we're starting with 10 gauge dimensions of .770 so the .670 exit diameter is greater constriction (.1 or a full tenth of an inch) than it would be if the same .670 were applied to a 12 gauge starting with a bore dimension of .730.

I'll measure the exit diameter of the Truglo to be certain though.

I told ya the 835 is awesome....hence why I named mine "Mighty"....

Could it be that 14 pellets were missing in the first place? Or are you just chalking it up to it missed the board completely?

Dude...we all love pix here....

I had 69 pellets on the target, 5 missed entirely and my pattern was all on the top half of my target. So I corrected my hold on this somewhat and really could have held a little lower than I did, the center of my pattern is still a few inches high.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I got the micrometer back out. I can't truly measure the exit diameter of the Truglo because the extended ported section is actually stepped OUT and is larger than the parallel section on the inside which I have to say is quite a long parallel section. The others I've seen have parallel sections only as long as he extended portion but that of the Truglo expands well inside the tube.

I did however measure the entrance diameter of each and they're the same at about .7705 +/- a few thousandths of an inch which could be my sketchy micrometer. Any time there's a variation I run it back in and find that it isn't zeroed. But my factory .695 exit diameter is showing .688 and the Carlson's shows .683 so I'm still calling it .690 and not .670 Scott Carlson said it is. It may very well be .670 for another 12 gauge gun with a starting diameter of .730 and not the 10 gauge dimension .770 of the 835.

I found the Carlson's Longbeard tube on eBay for $19 new in original packaging so it's been ordered and should be here next week.

Here's a question;
Why bother with all this? Why not get a tube and be satisfied and go on my way? Why bother talking about it?

I'm enjoying experimenting with the choke tubes and loads and though it gets expensive, I like bringing info to others should anyone else find themselves in my position. I know most people don't care that much, but as I embarked upon this journey, I discovered so much bad info and misinformation and even in some cases, people in the know, didn't really know. Manufacturers don't help much with the way they advertise products. So someone has to cut through the weeds and bovine scatology and get some real hands on information. Some of the bad info has even come from people who should be an authority on the subject. It simply isn't so. Honestly, 6 months ago, I barely cared about choke tubes because my cylinder bore gun patterned well with FliteControl loads. Good enough right? Well, choke tubes open a whole new world. There are so many loads and the differences in how each perform are far greater than ever noticed before from a cylinder bore because their quirks are exaggerated or muted by any number of choke tubes.

The short answer is I simply enjoy it and enjoy bringing the info to Mossberg Owners.

Last edited:
Brad...I wish I could do more than just "like" that post and this information you have painstaking provided. Your efforts are not un noticed....
Thanks man....and glad I could help even a smidgen ...

Honestly, I'm just building on info and on what you and a few others here got me interested in.

But I'm a simple man. I don't get numbers and charts and graphs. I understand hands on. It's how I learn and while the numbers and theories and explanations are out there, it made no sense to me until I could feel it, see it and smell it. (I love the smell of machine and tool oil on steel)

I'm not going to buy every tube and load out there but I don't mind trying out some of the most common and popular as well as the sleepers like that Truglo you sent me.

I've chronicled my interactions with Carlson's. I was told 3 different exit diameters on that coyote tube. Eventually I figured it out. They also are almost very specific as to what kind of load it likes. The site is more broad but in conversation they'll tell you what to run through it. Why? Is it worth it? Well that kind of info isn't available. It's either hype to make them money as well as Hevishot or its true. I'm going to do what I can to get results to support one side or the other but I'm not obliged to support the manufacturer, I'm not beholden to anyone except my MO family.

Additionally, the 835 is a sleeper too, which is also why I feel compelled to do this.

Sleeper....I love that term. I like hands on too and numbers kill me. Show me how to do something and I won't forget, make me read it, I'll forget it....

Well, I'm gonna do my best to show it in action, how it works, and the numbers with each and what they mean.

The LongBeard choke arrived today!

I'll have pics at some point, but a synopsis for now.

The Carlson's LongBeard turkey choke is very similar to the coyote choke in that it has about a 1" parallel section that has diamond shaped knurling and is angle ported away from the muzzle in the diamond shaped areas at 60 degree intervals around the circumference. So 6 ports instead of the 4 on the coyote choke. Also, it is stepped 3 times as it constricts just before the parallel section. It is clearly marked on the end of the extended portion with the exit diameter of .683 which is a constriction in this case of about .087 thousandths, and is marked on the other opposite side with "TKY", which will be seen in the pics at the bottom of this post. Also, the length is laser etched both with the Carlson's logo, recommended shot and firearm, and the "LongBeard XR" logo on the opposite side.

With the Winchester DoubleX 3" #5s it isn't unimpressive. 194 pellets in 10" at 25 yards laser verified. I also fired at 40 and 50 yards. I haven't counted pellets yet but no way do I have the 182 pellets in 10" at 40 that is boasted on the packaging.

However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, Carlson's is fairly specific in what load they feel works best with their choke tubes. At least with the "specialty" tubes. It's called the LongBeard choke because it was developed to be used with the Winchester LongBeard XR tungsten alloy and I suppose something like Hevishot as well. And while it works with the plated and buffered lead shot of the DoubleX, I'll have to try the other loads to see if it lives up to the hype.

At this point, the Truglo I borrowed from @ripjack13 still stands as the better choke tube and can still be had at a better price.

What does this mean?
The Carlson's tube retails for about $50, though I ordered mine for $19 with free shipping. Lets say I get the HTL ammo and it pans out with advertised results. It means I'll have a more expensive choke that likes more expensive ammo. Is it necessary for killing turkeys? Uh, no. Definitively, no. But I have yet to determine if it truly allows clean shots at a distance previously thought to be unobtainable which is what is supposed to make this combination truly stand out above others.

Here are a few pics with more later;

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Back