• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Pump Action Accumag Chokes

Make sure to see the above post as I'm not including all the same info here.

I mentioned above there are 194 pellets in 10" @ 25 yards, plenty enough for a clean kill. I think there were 250ish with the Truglo.

This was my first shot, obviously a little left of center, I was able to correct on the following shots.

image.jpg

And a close up of the choke tube. You can see the diamond shapes I mentioned and the laser engraving.

image.jpg

I don't know that it's worth picturing the 40 and 50 yards shots. I would be comfortable taking the shot at those distances, and honestly, the 50 yard shot resembles my first ever shot with the factory tube and Hornady at 25 yards. I'll get final counts on those probably tomorrow.

The final count on the 40 yard pattern was about 74 pellets I think. I have a pic I'll post when I have a little more time.

74 pellets is about half of the boasted 182 in 10" but I think it's fair to mention that Carlson's recommend a #6 shot rather than the 5 I have on hand, so there will be more pellets in the load to begin with.

I'll try the #6 HTL before I'm done.

Thanks to Mr. @ripjack13 I was able to perform a field sobriety test with the Truglo StruttStopper. Is that right?

I'm impressed, I would push this one out beyond 25 yards for sure! Check out the pic;

View attachment 8795

That's 254 pellets in a 10" circle which is better than anything I've tried yet by nearly 100 pellets. POA is nearly POI as you can see, if that we're a turkey head it would have been shredded.

I don't recall off hand the cost of the Truglo, but the Carlson choke is about $50 and the Kicks is $56. I believe this one is less than $40 and maybe less than $30.

For the sake of experimentation, I still want to try a couple more. Supposedly, the other two I just mentioned, will also pattern like this.

PS I had to make this image smaller to upload and it's half the size of the original. I have the full size pic uploaded on IG.

Just out of curiosity...do you know how many pellets are in a shell? Be cool to know how many out of what made it to the target...

Just out of curiosity...do you know how many pellets are in a shell? Be cool to know how many out of what made it to the target...

I don't know the exact count but its just above 300, I wanna say about 317 but its less than 320. That's the 1-3/4 oz 3" plated lead. I still have the targets, which I keep for reference should it ever come up again such as in this case. I'll try to get a count tonight but it will be after 8 EST.

For @ripjack13
Truglo Strutstopper/Winchester DoubleX 3" #5

So the math says 297 pellets in a 3" 1-3/4 oz #5.

I count 296 on the target but there are a few strays at the very top, it's entirely possible one got away and escaped notice.

This equals an 85% pattern in 10"! Not 30" but 10.

The Strutstopper doesn't come with hype, it comes with a low price tag. It doesn't need hype ammo to run and produce lethal patterns. The Winchester DoubleX was $15 at Bass Pro for 10 rounds which is less expensive than many other loads out there being marketed to turkey hunters.

The trend seems to be in the heavier than lead. We'll find out.

Damn dude....that makes me happy. Thank you for this info Brad.
Are you going to test it out at further distances?

I am really surprised more members haven't chimed in here on this.

Last edited:
Damn dude....that makes me happy. Thank you for this info Brad.
Are you going to test it out at further distances?

I am really surprised more memebers haven't chimed in here on this.

Well, I'm out of ammo currently. I have fired this combination at 40 and 50 yards but I can't find my patterns.

So I'll get more ammo and do it again in a couple weeks.

I'm right here. Quit yer yellin' : ) I dont know if you guys are talking any specific ammo type but I slammed the doves this year with lead handloads and the stock modified choke and I've been doing pretty good with Kent 3" shells with a Kicks choke in modified for ducks. No patterning with those loads yet though

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Sorry, Brother. :oops: I have not been visiting like I should. I have used the Strutstopper, with good results. I have switched back to the factory choke (.690) with Winchester Supreme 3.5 in. with 2 ounces of #5's. I usually don't shoot much past 30 yards, but I frequently have to bust some brush, which the 5's do pretty good. I thought too that it would keep the velocity up.
I find myself hunting fields more the last several years, so I may switch to a tighter choke. I have a Carlson's .675 but it is NOT fun to shoot.

Last edited:
Another vote for the strut stopper. Man...that thing is sooo under rated....

@tcecil88 Why is the .675 not fun?

I like the Winchester DoubleX #5s but not in the factory choke though mine is a .695.

I have a Carlson's .690 which works well with a larger shot but still doesn't do much for the 5s.

The Truglo I borrowed from RipJack is a .670 and is phenomenal and so far seriously out performs the Carlson's LongBeardXR (.683) though I've not yet tried it with the Winchester load for which it is named.

I'm curious;
What is the length of your barrel?

I also need to make a correction. The Winchester LongBeardXR is not a tungsten alloy. The "Xtended Range" is the tungsten alloy and is in the same family of shotshells as the coyote load I have by the same name.

If I can find the turkey Xtended Range turkey, I would like to try that too.

The unique part of the XR family of loads is the "shot lock" technology. The entire load is encased in resin. Similar I suppose to what is mentioned in another post about filling a birdshot load with candle wax or paraffin.

The resin holds the shot together but it breaks up and acts as buffer as it travels the barrel.

I'll have more on this when I try it out.

This one is for @ripjack13

I found the targets I did with the Truglo and Winchester DoubleX, specifically the 40 yard you had asked about.

The target is in rough shape but all the relevant info is still there. 102 pellets in 10" at 40 yards.

image.jpg

The next load to try is the Winchester LongbeardXR with shotlock. As I mentioned before, it isn't the heavier than lead but is the stuff that's encapsulated if you will in a resin that breaks down and acts as buffering as it travels the barrel. I have the #5s on the way. Carlson's recommends the #6 which also contributes to how they arrive at the 182 pellets in 10" at 40 yards. They're starting out with more pellets. I went with the 5s based on experience and the exit diameter of .683 of the Longbeard choke being on the larger side of the turkey chokes. The Truglo (based on an earlier post provided by RipJack) is .670. I think the larger diameter will be fine with the 5s and may even be bigger than is necessary. Though Kicks load recommendation chart suggests a .675 for #5s.

In any case, I'll have a report on those one way or the other in the near future. Turkey season begins in one month.

Last edited:
Nice....I wish I had more shottys that had threads. I'd get one for em all...

The LongbeardXR is expected to be here by end of day tomorrow. So says USPS tracking.

Back