• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Barrels

Re: Gen 1 SPX Barrel Advice

Swapping the barrels will in no way jeopardize the reliability of the gun, esp if you stick with repuable parts and don't do anything out of the ordinary. (i.e. don't buy a barrel from some guy down the street that made one in his garage machine shop ;) )

I've swapped barrels on shotguns for many many years and have never had a problem with reliability, durability etc as a result. They are designed for it and that is what gives them such flexability.

Unfortunately the canted sights were a big problem with early generation SPX barrels. I had a 3rd gen SPX barrel at one time and it was fine, no noticible cant and everything fed fine. I didn't jkeep it long but that had nothing to do with the barrel, I just didn't like the hiogh profile sights and opted for the security barrel with a bead.

Now isn't the spring that people talk about causing reliability issues within the barrel? Would I pull the spring,piston etc from my barrel before I send it in and install it in the new barrel that I receive?

Thanks!

The spring that people have issues with is in the magazine tube

Though there have been issues with the spring in the barrel scratching the magazine tube when removing/installing the barrel but this does not affect reliability

I removed it before I sold mine

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Re: 3rd gen spx canted front site?

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
You paid good money for an out-of-spec weapon.

Ultimately it's your call, but I would certainly want Mossberg to make this right if it were mine...

Well,I finally got to fire my new spx, I guess the site isn't as bad as I thought, I got the GRS dialed in rather quickly and was hitting nice groups at 50 yards, the back site wasn't pinned either way. The spx shot like a champ too! No problems whatsoever. No Jams, no FTE'S, no FTF'S. the range I was at only allowed you to shoot slugs so I didn't get to try any lighter loads. I was shooting Winchester super X, federal power shock, and remmington sluggers. Everything went smooth. The recoils was a lot less then my 500. And my 40" spring didn't seem to be an issue either.
I'm still considering sending the barrel back, I'd rather have it dead straight the way it should be but now I wonder if I'm expecting too much. It's supposed to be dead straight right? If I put it upside down it shouldn't wobble at all right?

Good to see she's runnin right.

Correct on the sights, if you turn it upside down resting on the sights it should not wobble at all...

I am with LES, just knowing it is off on a brand new gun would eat at me. I could tell from the photo that it is canted so it is noticeably off.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

"Another distinction is the gas cylinder spring. The old versions had blue springs, although some early springs were black. The newer versions have red springs. Again, since this is OFM you will find new production guns with the thick barrel, tall LPA sight tower, and blue springs."

"Take the barrel off and look at the spring on the gas piston. You should be able to see it in the witness hole. The first gen springs were blue, and there were some that were black. The newer springs are red. They will let you shoot lighter loads, although some (including myself) never had a problem with lighter loads with the blue and black spring."

Source: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/sh ... SPX-Review

Wanting to buy a 930 bird/field barrel, don't care what length just want it to be matte black finish
Any sellers or anyone have a dealer nearby that has them in stock.
Thanks

Interesting, I have only heard of people having issues with the magazine spring.

I think one of the springs for my 930 is blue, but I can't remember now. I'll have to look at it. I didn't buy the SPX version, I just picked up the barrel along the way. I bought the Waterfowl model.

Barrel question/info

Hello everyone I am looking at replacing the breacher barrel on my new 930 but here is the issue I am not sure what barrel I need to ask about. I am wanting to stay 18.5 but I don't want one with the sights like the SPX had on it. (have an eotech on it don't want sighs in the field of view) what barrel should I be looking for. I was looking at another barrel which only had a bead on it and no muzzle but it looked quite thin. Also is there any of the 18.5 with a choke already on it?

Thanks big time everyone for help with this mossberg was no help when I contacted them about help with this.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Barrel question/info

Fate0n3 said:
Hello everyone I am looking at replacing the breacher barrel on my new 930 but here is the issue I am not sure what barrel I need to ask about. I am wanting to stay 18.5 but I don't want one with the sights like the SPX had on it. (have an eotech on it don't want sighs in the field of view) what barrel should I be looking for. I was looking at another barrel which only had a bead on it and no muzzle but it looked quite thin. Also is there any of the 18.5 with a choke already on it?

Thanks big time everyone for help with this mossberg was no help when I contacted them about help with this.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Item # 93020

930 18.5" matte barrel with bead sight. Cylinder bore (no choke version available in this size)

If you want to go with the Accu Choke you'll need to go longer. But all the ones I checked online at Mossberg are not available at this time. Checking other retailers may be your best bet.

The OFM security barrel is the only one I know of that will meet your specs. If having chokes is a requirment there are multiple places where you can get them added for <$100.

Angler69 said:
Wanting to buy a 930 bird/field barrel, don't care what length just want it to be matte black finish
Any sellers or anyone have a dealer nearby that has them in stock.
Thanks
just spray paint it matte black with enamel spray paint

also, what do you guys think of the breacher style barrel 930. its the only barrel with low profile sights that also looks aggressive other than the home security blued barrel. the 930SPX and 930BW versions all have the high profile sights which i personally dont like and i think is unnecessary for 12 guage. im just looking forward for some fun 3gun shooting, not serious 3gun competition.

While I haven't run slugs through it yet, shot patterning from the cylinder bore spreads pretty fast. At 50 yds or less, no problem.

Attachments

• DSC00403.JPG
    DSC00403.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 1,056
jeffy56 said:
While I haven't run slugs through it yet, shot patterning from the cylinder bore spreads pretty fast. At 50 yds or less, no problem.
does the heat sheild get in the way during cleaning or is it removable?

Looks like spot weld to me too. Glad you're here L.E.S., you've great experience on the tac model.

Back