• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Barrels

just wondered...

does anyone here have a Mossberg with an actually blued barrel? not like the matte finish on the spx barrel but truly blued?

if so, how is the finish and how well does it seem to stand up to contact with multiple surfaces?

I've liked the looks of my spx barrel but have been really disappointed with its durability.... it scuffs extremely easily and when I first got it I was living in a house with a swamp cooler and could see it's oxidizing right on/through the finish n had to keep it really well oiled to prevent this... makes me wonder what's the point of finishing it like that?

Sorry Ace, barrels already gone........
Poopy- my barrel is blued and seems to be just like every other blued gun I own. Haven't really beat it up tho.......

thanks gyrene. I wound up ordering part number 93028 which is the blued slug barrel with integrated rifle sights(not the integrated rail since my spx already has a rail and I don't want to strip out anything on my receiver swapping barrels/optics back and forth ever).

they wound up only charging me 135.95..... 199 msrp knocked down to 149 sale price knocked down another 25 to 124 since I'm not a retailer and don't need the plastic clamshell packaging and whatnot... plus 10.95 for shipping, no tax.

turn around time quoted was 5-8 weeks.... let's see how fast they manage to actually get it out! can't wait!

Mossberg 930 SPX Rifled Barrel

Here is the issue I am facing. I have a Mossberg 930 SPX with a smooth bore barrel. I want to put a rifled barrel on it because I like shooting slugs and hunting. However, the representative at Mossberg informed me that the rifled barrels aren't as thick diametrically as the smooth bore. This means they will heat up faster if I rapidly fire the gun and that is not good in home defense situation. Also, from an aesthetic stand point, the thinner barrel in my opinion just doesn't look as nice as the smooth bore on the 930 SPX. Idealistically, I wish I could just rifle the 18.5 inch barrel I have on My SPX now. Yet, since this is not an option, does anyone know where I could find an 18.5 rifled barrel that is the same diameter as the smooth bore on my 930 SPX , or have any other ideas for that matter ? I don't know why Mossberg can't just make a heavy duty rifled barrel for the 930 SPX, it is a semiautomatic gun.

Re: Mossberg 930 SPX Rifled Barrel

jgulizia said:
Here is the issue I am facing. I have a Mossberg 930 SPX with a smooth bore barrel. I want to put a rifled barrel on it because I like shooting slugs and hunting. However, the representative at Mossberg informed me that the rifled barrels aren't as thick diametrically as the smooth bore. This means they will heat up faster if I rapidly fire the gun and that is not good in home defense situation. Also, from an aesthetic stand point, the thinner barrel in my opinion just doesn't look as nice as the smooth bore on the 930 SPX. Idealistically, I wish I could just rifle the 18.5 inch barrel I have on My SPX now. Yet, since this is not an option, does anyone know where I could find an 18.5 rifled barrel that is the same diameter as the smooth bore on my 930 SPX , or have any other ideas for that matter ? I don't know why Mossberg can't just make a heavy duty rifled barrel for the 930 SPX, it is a semiautomatic gun.

welcome from NY. i would give Vang Comp a call. they are a vender here and might be able to help you out. : (928) 636-8455
another place is Corsons
http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/

Re: Mossberg 930 SPX Rifled Barrel

do you use slugs for hd?

if you do, the difference of a rifled barrel or not is negligible at home defense distances. I'd just use some foster style slugs and if you still want to reach out and touch something or penetrate something, a high powered brenneke 1 3/8 ounce slug will still accurately do the trick.

I'm getting the ported rifled barrel from Mossberg as well (suggest 93010 or 93028 since our spx already has an optics rail) and just plan on keeping the 18.5 heavy walled barrel on it for regular duty/bird shooting(clay and real) and swapping in the rifled barrel for when I go big game hunting.

it's so easy to swap barrels I don't see any reason to spend the same amount of money getting one you already have smithed when you can have 2 barrels and more options/applications.

gl either way, let us know what you wind up doing!

24" barrel fitting problem on SPX

Well here we go again, seems like I have no luck with this SPX... so I've been waiting for nearly three months to get a 24" ported barrel from Mossberg, as I wanted to try some sporting clays or skeet locally, and the range doesn't allow 18" barrels. It arrived yesterday, but upon installation I found it doesn't fit properly. The bottom of the barrel under the chamber hits the retainer ring and the lower side of the receiver. It's very close, probably a few thousandths off at most, but it won't go in, and I don't want to force it. I also noticed a small gap on top of the barrel where it meets the receiver. None of this is present with the stock barrel.

So I need some opinions on how I should proceed. It looks like a have four choices. 1) Dremel the retainer ring and lower receiver (which I really don't want to do as the retainer is very narrow at this point). 2) Dremel the bottom of the barrel. 3) Ask Mossberg for another barrel. 4) Forget about the whole deal (tired of Mossberg poor QC and CS).

Pics show how it hits the receiver (I left the retainer out here), and the gap on top of the barrel.

Any opinions would be a greatly appreciated.

8646660976_af3b736f3f_b.jpg

8646661682_037d02ccc6_b.jpg

Re: 24" barrel fitting problem on SPX

kevink2 said:
Well here we go again, seems like I have no luck with this SPX... so I've been waiting for nearly three months to get a 24" ported barrel from Mossberg, as I wanted to try some sporting clays or skeet locally, and the range doesn't allow 18" barrels. It arrived yesterday, but upon installation I found it doesn't fit properly. The bottom of the barrel under the chamber hits the retainer ring and the lower side of the receiver. It's very close, probably a few thousandths off at most, but it won't go in, and I don't want to force it. I also noticed a small gap on top of the barrel where it meets the receiver. None of this is present with the stock barrel.

So I need some opinions on how I should proceed. It looks like a have four choices. 1) Dremel the retainer ring and lower receiver (which I really don't want to do as the retainer is very narrow at this point). 2) Dremel the bottom of the barrel. 3) Ask Mossberg for another barrel. 4) Forget about the whole deal (tired of Mossberg poor QC and CS).

Pics show how it hits the receiver (I left the retainer out here), and the gap on top of the barrel.

Any opinions would be a greatly appreciated.

8646660976_af3b736f3f_b.jpg

8646661682_037d02ccc6_b.jpg

Have you tried to slide it in with the magazine taken off? maybe your mag tube is slightly canted?

I'd try that first before taking off irreplaceable metal... maybe the spring in the gas housing is it of place pushing on the mag tube?

It's just too odd that there isn't enough room in the bottom and an equal gap at the top...

I'd try fitting it without any mag tube and if it works, leave the barrel chamber seated in the receiver and slide the mag tube through the gas spring housing, through the action components(piston/slide tube/pusher/spring/spacer) and thread it back into the receiver.

It's a much more complicated way to swap barrels but might allow you to work around a possible hang up.

Good suggestion poopy, thanks. I thought of this too, but can you suggest a good way to remove the mag tube? It looks like it's got red locktite on it and difficult to budge. It'd be weird if it's canted that badly because I've not had problems with the stock 18" barrel fitment in that respect.

kevink2 said:
Good suggestion poopy, thanks. I thought of this too, but can you suggest a good way to remove the mag tube? It looks like it's got red locktite on it and difficult to budge. It'd be weird if it's canted that badly because I've not had problems with the stock 18" barrel fitment in that respect.
I'm not even sure that is legit locktite, mine was getting pieces of crumbled "locktite" inside my receiver and I just broke it loose by hand and cleaned all that gunk off so it would quit making a mess...

so in my case a firm grip did the trick. If that doesn't work I'd try a rag and a pair of pliers or vice grips right at the base. Should break free easy enough.

Poopypants said:
kevink2 said:
I'm not even sure that is legit locktite, mine was getting pieces of crumbled "locktite" inside my receiver and I just broke it loose by hand and cleaned all that gunk off so it would quit making a mess...

so in my case a firm grip did the trick. If that doesn't work I'd try a rag and a pair of pliers or vice grips right at the base. Should break free easy enough.

Thanks man, I'll give it a shot and report back.

Thanks again Poopypants, I was able to get the tube off with some channel locks, a lot of duct tape, and a heat gun. Gun is assembled so hopefully the gas piston isn't binding up too bad, and it cycles properly. There was some waxy red glue in there, but just toward the tip. Also found out the mag tube is reversible. You the man!

On another note, as I had previously suspected my original 18" SPX barrel was canted to the right in my long winded first thread (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5682). Putting another barrel on seems to back up my suspicions as this 24" seems pretty damn straight in comparison, so that's good (in some ways!)...

kevink2 said:
Thanks again Poopypants, I was able to get the tube off with some channel locks, a lot of duct tape, and a heat gun. Gun is assembled so hopefully the gas piston isn't binding up too bad, and it cycles properly. There was some waxy red glue in there, but just toward the tip. Also found out the mag tube is reversible. You the man!

On another note, as I had previously suspected my original 18" SPX barrel was canted to the right in my long winded first thread (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5682). Putting another barrel on seems to back up my suspicions as this 24" seems pretty damn straight in comparison, so that's good (in some ways!)...

No problem man, glad it worked out for you! Hopefully function will be fine, make sure to update us on wether or not there's any issues.

I remember reading that other thread of yours... if you can verify everything is working fine with this barrel I'd try hitting up Mossberg n see if you can just send back the canted barrel alone for replacement so your mossy isn't completely outta commission.

Hey guys... I just FINALLY got my rifled barrel.. the front sight is a dove tailed brass bead insert(was pretty sure it was supposed to be a fiber optic front post) and it was loose in the box, not even mounted right... I think there is an Allen screw in place, just not tightened...

but the wrist part is... no gas spring in the gas system and no nut to retain one!

I didn't expect then to include a new piston or anything but definitely exhorted there to be a gas spring rated for the slug barrel and for it to be already kicked in place with a retaining nut. no way in he'll I'm taking the spring in and out of my spx barrel every time I have to swap barrels...

for you guys that have ordered new barrels or bought them 3rd party... was there already a gas spring included with your barrel?

So..... yeah..... def supposed to come with the gas spring... waited almost 2 whole months for the stupid thing n it's got to go right back to them. I'm pissed.

turn around, 4-5 weeks THEN if it comes back complete I'll get to test fire my hunting rounds n report back with a review on the barrel performance and accuracy of dupo28 rounds from a rifled barrel.

Yup, I'd expect the piston is interchangeable throughout n is easy enough to swap....

well fedex picked it up on the prepaid shipping label they sent me...count down to return begins now

Greetings,

I'm kind of a newbie to shotguns, My expertise is in pistols. I've purchased a 930 spx from a local gun shop and would like a longer barrel. I see several references to the mossberg site, but from what I see there are no barrels for the spx... I would like to keep the existing sight style, but am willing to go to a red dot/reflex sight.

So having said all that, I'm looking to go to a 24" barrel. Does anyone make a barrel that has the elevated front sight like the stock spx?

If I go with a Turkey barrel FO then I could shoot slugs and 00 right? Could I mount a red dot and keep the existing pic rail?

I guess what I'm saying is, I want a longer barrel that will shoot anything (shot, 00, slug) and either has the existing style (AR) sights, or I can mount a red dot/ reflex sight.

Thanks in advance,
hagatha

Back