• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Cleaning/Maintenance

Re: Shooting Steel Shot

The steel used in some choke tubes is softer than the steel used in the steel shot itself and over time the shot would "shoot out" the restriction in the choke. I believe the Mossberg tubes can handle steel shot, but I am not 100% sure off the top of my head.

I know the tubes for my Rem 870 will not. Only the full choke is steel-shot sompatable.

Re: Shooting Steel Shot

and given the forged barrel on the spx is not only harder then the steel shot but is cylinder bore with no protruding choke, it will be perfectly fine.

930 Waterfowl Mag Spring

I spent months searching for a good auto loader that wouldn't break the bank. After all the research I did, I went with the 930. I primarily shoot trap and may get into some bird hunting this fall. Anyways, after cleaning it, I was finally able to shoot it last week. I only shot about 15 rds of cheap walmart target loads and had zero problems. However I need to know how to take the magazine plug out so I can utilize the 4+1. The manual doesn't cover it and it looks like it takes a funky looking tool. This is probably a stupid question but I really don't wanna start prying with a screw driver.

Re: 930 Waterfowl Mag Spring

page 5

TO REMOVE THE MAGAZINE PLUG (NON SPX MODELS)
Be sure the firearm is unloaded by visually and physically checking
the chamber, elevator, and magazine tube; and make certain that the safety
button is fully rearward in the “ON” (SAFE) position before performing any
assembly or disassembly procedure.
Unscrew and remove the magazine cap (Figure 9). Grasp the barrel and forearm to
prevent them from sliding forward. Do not place your hand over the muzzle at any
time. Point the muzzle downward and shake the firearm in an up and down motion
until the wooden dowel falls through the opening at the end of the magazine tube

i forgot,,,,,welcome from NY.

i read that somewhere else on the internet. I just didn't sound right. Thanks for the welcome as well.

no problem.

that's from page 5 in your owners manual.

I feel kinda dumb. I was stuck on page 6 on installation. That rod fell right out. Thanks again. You could delete the thread now so everyone quits saying to themselves "dumba$$".

pds00 said:
I feel kinda dumb. I was stuck on page 6 on installation. That rod fell right out. Thanks again. You could delete the thread now so everyone quits saying to themselves "dumba$$".

don't feel dumb,we all have done it. :) no such thing as a dumba$$ here. :D

What to polish with my dremel on my 930 SPX?

I am shooting some 5 stand on Sunday and I just got a custom 28" ported barrel for my 930 SPX and wanted to know what to polish to give it a little more reliability. I have a few hundred rounds through the original barrel and maybe 100 through the 28". It seems to like the pink Federal or Walmart 100 pack Federal's without only a couple FTE's here and there. I searched the forum and saw one guys post about polishing the inner surface of the gas block and gas port openings. Is there anywhere else that I should polish while I am in there?

Thanks in advance!

Re: What to polish with my dremel on my 930 SPX?

I've not had to do anything to my 930, aside from the initial cleaning, to make it run flawlessly.

However, I do not use it as a gaming gun, I only use it for hunting and the occasional round of clays.

I ground down each end of the piston spring on the inside of it where it ends because it was gouging my magazine tube. I also broke all sharp corners on the bolt, bolt lock mechanism and bolt carrier. Also cleaned everything real good including inside the magazine tube and I also polished the mag follower button where it rides in tube...

Polishing the shell stop where it contacts the base of the shell goes a long way to help reliability. Do not use a Dremel, use a fine ceramic stone, do not change the shape or angle of the face, do not try and remove all of the machine marks just polish and smooth out any high spots. It doesn't need to look like a mirror, just smooth.

Sent from my Proctor Silex Toaster Oven using Tapatalk 2.

BBossman1 said:
Polishing the shell stop where it contacts the base of the shell goes a long way to help reliability. Do not use a Dremel, use a fine ceramic stone, do not change the shape or angle of the face, do not try and remove all of the machine marks just polish and smooth out any high spots. It doesn't need to look like a mirror, just smooth.

THIS is the best advice I have seen so far.

+1 Rep Point, BBossman!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great question superram. and i came in this thread to ask a similar one.

anyone ever use dry lube on the gas piston and mag tube?

would the hot gasses have any effect on it? the carbon build up from burnt off oil is hard enough to clean alone... wouldn't graphite under heat and friction do the same?

Convert 930 w/ ghost ring sights to a trap gun?

I have a 930 SPX with ghost ring sights. How do you convert it to a trap gun?

It seems like I need to replace the barrel and then remove the rear sight and the rail it's mounted on. Is there a simply solution? I don't think I can even just leave the rail on, because it will obscure the bead that would come on the new barrel. The inconvenience and expenses make me think that maybe I should just get another gun. ;) (No, seriously, this is not a plea for reasons to buy more guns.)

Thanks for your ideas!

Re: Convert 930 w/ ghost ring sights to a trap gun?

I faced the same quandry recently. After pricing a proper target/bird barrel and considering the time monkying with the swap out (mostly to remove the picatinny rail and weapon light) each time I wanted to shoot clay, I opted to pick up a 500 pump with a 28" barrel and wood furniture (brand new at Dick's for $300 out the door). Good luck to you.

--Todd

Re: Convert 930 w/ ghost ring sights to a trap gun?

Thanks, Todd. I was hoping someone figured out a way to mount some sort of sight rail on top of the vented ribs. Yeah, it looks like a new gun might be cheaper. Crazy, hunh?

Back