• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: O.F.M. beginning to REALLY P- me off!930 Barrel Replacem

DHonovich said:
Well I am really glad to hear that you are finally back on track with your Mossberg 930 spx! As for the site your post is exactly what I hoped the site would evolve to when I first started it. :)

Well, consider it all a success, IMHO!! And I'd also like to thank Mike from AimPro, as O.F.M. had me call him and see if HE could help me out. As I use this as my primary HD gun, and within 25 yds it's fine with buck and most slugs loads even w/short sight I wanted/NEEDED (you know how it is when you're comfortable w/a gun and 'count on it' for HD or CCW, you don't want to lose it, even for a day!) to have a bbl DURING the turnover time. They were also out of barrels at the time, but he DID offer to do all he could to accomodate me, and send an older bbl first for buckshot, for HD/SD, BEFORE I sent in my old one while the turnover time occured once they got them in!! But Joe Z sent it in the meantime. Guess the frnt sight's ear's just got banged on ONE ear, then looks like someone tried to bend the other to match or.....Something, still can't figure out how that happened. If someone can help me put a pic up on here, I'd be glad to show you in case someone else get's a similar one? Just imagine the tall 3rd gen sight bent in on both ears like an AK front sight, but not THAT curved. Like an AR frnt sight's curve, except IN instead of out.
Thank you EVERYONE! ;)
Steve

Problem w/bolt lockup on 3rd gen spec'd bbl.

Hey guys, I finally got my new tall frnt sight barrel for my 3rd gen on MON, I'd gone to the range on SUN!! It performed perfectly with the original barrel as far as reliability, fun, etc, but after installing new barrel I noticed the front sights ears are bent in (unevenly as well). So, I called and ANOTHER replacement's on the way but just noticed that with the new barrel has no angle/transition/shoulder angle on the rear of the barrel extension notch for bolt lug but seems there is much more of one in the FRONT! And with the original you could slowly let the bolt ride forward and when it came to a stop you could BARELY touch the bolt handle and it would go into battery, now it seems like it's being 'forced' in w/a bit too much force (kind of concerns me as far as bolt lug damage, bbl extension damage, was there a bolt redesign, change of the barrel/bolt LUG/notch, what am I missing :? ?). Of course I know you should not 'ride' the bolt carrier, but release it freely, it seems this will eventually lead to some unwelcome wear and reduces the guns smoothness of operation manually, and.... Any help guys, I AM STUMPED! Thank's :D ,
Stephen

Problem:  I would load (7) federal 2 ¾ inch bird shot rounds in the mag tube, I would eject (2) rounds before the mag tube components would bind up.  A tap to the mag tube would usually get the mag tube components to unbind, if that didn’t work I would untwisting the mag extension a little bit.  Very annoying issue because it happened at random, I would not want this to happen to me in a HD situation.

Process of elimination:  1) Follower: I changed the follower to a browells Mossberg green aluminum follower.  The same problem repeated itself.  2) Spring: With the new follower, I changed the spring to a 33 ½ inch (cut) Wolff XP power.  Same thing happened with the new follower and spring.  3) Choate Mag Extension: Next thing I did was remove the forend retainer to test if the same problem arose with the choate mag extension tube fully seated in the mag tube VS having the mag extension twisted off forming a gap.  I found out that the same problem occurred when the mag extension tube was fully seated to the mag tube and when it was twisted off with a gap.  4) Polishing Mag tube and Internals: Last thing I tried and finally got it the shotgun to load and unload without any issues was polishing all the internals of the mag tube.  I used never dull and metal polish with rags and cotton balls for this.  I converted a paintball barrel squeegee to polish the mag tube and extension.   I polished the spring, follower, the inside of the mag tube, and extension mag tube.  While I was at it I also polished the feed tray to make it smoother to load and unload rounds.  I tried of eliminate any friction points.   While watching TV I loaded and unloaded the shotgun 10-15 times without any binding.  I was very happy with the results.  Ladies and Gentlemen, don’t lose faith in this shotgun.  The 930 SPX is a good shotgun when you take the time to break it in, and understand how it works.  If I were to keep running this gun, I’m sure the issues would have resolved itself from break in and use.  Polishing just speeds things up!    

Cleaning the gas port

What do I use to clean the gas piston with, this is my first autoloader I just don't want to screw up my baby

Re: O.F.M. beginning to REALLY P- me off!930 Barrel Replacem

reeseman67 said:
You are VERY CORRECT Ms. Edna, Joe Z. just wiped the floor with a coating of proffessionalism.... Reminded me of you.... :cry: ... But, okay, so here's the deal, I'm now waiting for a(NOTHER) new barrel for the 930 SPX w/tall frnt sight again (I'm also inclined to believe the springs are like Edna and Joe said, the colors mark a manufacturers 'cycle' cause my o.g. and the newer one are both blue springs and my 'o.g.' spring ran great with everything I brought out), I called Joe, told him the prob, I could hear the frustration FOR ME, and SINCERELY apologized and thanked me for giving them another shot, AND on top of the new bbl that I think HE'S inspecting (he REALLY want's to know who O.K.'d the barrel to leave as he apparently gave the guys pretty 'clear orders' on what to look for, sighting it in, INCLUDE THE TEST TARGET, etc . Not something I want someone to lose their job over, but they'll be inclined to remember to do all asked for the NEXT customer, hell... might be me again!) it personally and sending another mag extension to see if that will fix the 'wobbly mag', it should cause mine just luckily lined up with the original bbl and if the mag ext is straight, and the sight/sight EARS aren't canted, I'LL BE GOOD, and happy!! Cause I was able to get to the range on Sunday for my B-day and... Reliability/accuracy at closer distance's were SPOT ON! And recoil wasn't too bad till I shot the 590A1 and then the Win 1300 Defender and then everyone's reaction was.... WOW, umm I'll shoot the SPX again! Except my friend Lyric, she didn't 'fit' the SPX or 590A1's due to the GIANT L.O.P.(I felt bad, as she couldnt shoot the LEAST recoiling 12 ga due to the stock) so she was hammering away on the Win!!! Brave girl!!
Mossberg....+1 in my book(the designs are great, 95% of firearms NEVER HAVE PROBLEMS, so when you get as much for your money as you do with the 930 SPX, if it takes a few times to get me a sight that'll work w/slug's past 50-75yds, as thats not it's PRIMARY PURPOSE, I'll always give the manufacturer a shot to get it straight, and the thing IS reliable/ran dry through it's 'break in' w/only one Failure to fire off OLD, OLD< OLD< birdshot, pulled back to re-cock hammer and.. BOOM, it fired! So this' all just like 'aesthetics', the gun works and the sights are fine for sub-50, but I want +50, and I'll let O.F.M. convince me to be a thrice returning customer!!) I am SOO glad I found this site, you guy's are awesome, everyone helps each other, there's really no ego, just info!!(thank you whoever started this site :D !!)
Stephen

JOe Z. is awsome!! Loved that guy still do lol he was my mentor all the way soo yep i learned everything from him. He is very very helpful, and will also have things done right for you. He never plays around when ever it comes to guns :) he was my right hand all along.

Re: Mossberg took care of my 930 tactical

Hello,

I would like to also comment on my recent experience with mossberg Cust serv.

I purchased a 930 spx and when I got home I noticed the Choate mag ext was slightly misaligned. When I would try to load more than 5 rounds in the tube the follower would get bound up and jammed. I called Mossberg and the Service rep asked for my serial number shipping address and phone number and said they will ship a new mag tube extension and spring no cost.

Was simple as that!!!

I was personally a little afraid to call them after some of what I have read about their cust service "or lack there of" but I was glad to find that this was not the case.

Best of luck to you and I hope they get you squared away as well as they did me.

Re: Mossberg took care of my 930 tactical

Its great to hear Mossberg took care of your issues! They do a great job with customer service.

Some Useful 930SPX Links

I found these links to be quite useful as a new 930SPX owner:

Pretty good 930SPX Disassembly/Reassembly Vid
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gYDr6DkDfY[/youtube]

930 SPX Field Strip Pt1
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKpNy2AZzN4[/youtube]

930 SPX Field Strip Pt2
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vclvnZo_VoY[/youtube]

930SPX Trigger Disassembly/Reassembly
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=219571

930SPX Cocking Indicator Assembly
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3433393

930SPX Gas Piston
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oW1wJis9LY[/youtube]

Re: Cleaning the gas port

My 1100 has been a true warrior for 45 years. (Trap)
I run my action a little damp with CLP.
Its a cleaner and lubricant LOVE THIS STUFF!
I use it on all my guns :D

930 walnut forearm loose

I have the mossberg 930 in walnut stock. The forearm is loose, it has a bit of vertical play in it.

I'm thinking of gluing some rubber shims to make it lock up more solidly to the gun and eliminate the movement. Has anyone else modified their walnut forearm to fix this?

Re: 930 walnut forearm loose

I have the synthetic forend on my Mossberg 930 autoloader and its a tight fit. I unfortunately do not have any experience with the walnut forend.

Re: 930 walnut forearm loose

Welcome to th Mossberg Owners Forum bani !!

I myself have never modified a shotguns wooden forearm with shims, but if it works please post some pics of the modification...

930 and jams

Hi all, new member here. I bought my first shotgun today, a 930, and took it to the range to start breaking it in. I had 3 occasions after loading one in the pipe and releasing the bolt that the elevator would get stuck in the load position, preventing the bolt from traveling forward. I would have to tap bolt release bar inside the receiver to free it up. I also had it happen once with no ammunition chambered. Is this a common issue with the 930 or is this just break-in blues?

Re: 930 and jams

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Cthulhucalling !!

When you find the time, please stop by the New Members Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community !!

As far as the occasional hiccups, can I presume you field stripped and oiled her before the range visit, as most new owners can't wait to go to the range and forget to perform this simple but necessary function, as the gun may be dry or may have some factory grease or clutter in it's action.

You can use this link to help troubleshoot too: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=291

Give it a shot and let us know how you make out... ;)

============================================================

I gave it a quick breakdown and took most of the factory grease out, and a very thorough cleaning afterwards. She needed it very badly, it seems the 930 likes to get dirty. I've played the action a bit after reassembly and haven't seen the it jam up yet. Hopeful the weather will hold tomorrow so I can put more rounds through it.

OK...check in with us when you get back from the range...!

Back