• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 SPX - AimPro vs S&J Hardware Railed Forend?

Ron

Copper BB
Hello to all. Enjoyed all your posts, so I decided to join, now that I just bought a 930 SPX.

Anyone care to comment on the pros/cons of the AimPro Railed forend vs the new (?) S&J Hardware Railed forend for the 930 SPX? Both appear to be aluminum and look good online. Any of you kind folks have any thoughts/experiences to share on either or both (M24Shooter posted a great discussion some time back re the AimPro)?

Ron in Michigan

While I can't answer you question, I do want to say "welcome aboard". Don't forget to go by the new members area and say hello. We look forward to hearing more and seeing pictures of your SPX.

Thanks, Kodiak -- Did you perhaps spend any time on Kodiak Island (in the service or otherwise)? Just curious because of your screen name.

Attached (I think -- or at least tried to attach them) are a couple of photos from when I was there in April 2007. Regards. -- Ron

Follow-up: I guess I "goofed" and didn't do it right when I tried to attach a couple of photos -- They were of me and my Kodiak bear taken on Afognak.

Kodiak -- LOL -- I know what you mean. My wife found a little sign that she bought and hung next to my Kodiak bear "rug" -- it says "An old bear lives here with his honey."

Take care. -- Ron

I have not personally tried either but maybe its time to make an order!

The S&J is $40 more , but I like the lines much better than the Aimpro.
93020rail.jpg

For sheer amount of rail space, the Aimpro gets the nod. Plus, you get rail covers.
153.jpg

For me it's a tough choice. I will have one of them though.
Now if we can only get Mesa Tactical to build a 930 Urbino stock!

Thanks to all for your replies so far.

I agree w/tcecil, especially re the lines of the S&J forend, and there appears to be enough rail space for my needs. So I tend to like that one better -- probably can't really go wrong with either choice, given the reps of each company on the blogs.

I think I'll order the S&J -- will post conclusions once I've had it long enough to form some (along with photos if I can figure out how to add them to my post). -- Ron

Sounds good, I just ordered the AIMPRO version but haven't ordered the S&J yet.

Just ordered the S&J Hardware 930 forend and dealt with Simon, a damn nice guy. Will post pics of my 930 and my 590A1 once I get them setup to my liking.

Got the S & J Hardware aluminum for-end today, very well made and detailed item, it also has a 7/40 hexagonal taping screw (rubberized tip) at rear to eliminate play. Very nice item. Will mount and post pics on the weekend. They also included a complimentary follower and free shipping. Will be a very simple install and it's about 10-15% larger in diameter which is what I was looking for.

I got the Aimpro rail yesterday as a late Xmas gift and took 5 minutes to install. The fit and finish are great, and the quality is second to none. The new forend gives the shotgun a whole new feel. It is noticably wider than the factory one and has no play like the factory forend. I moved my TLR1 to the bottom rail as far forward as I can get it and I can activate it with the toggle switch without having my arm streched way out. :)
I cannot tell much of a difference in felt weight, as the weapon is already heavy. I prefer my weapons a little heavy as stability and recoil managment are better overall for me.

DSC00996.jpg

Overall, I am very happy with the forend and recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade from the factory forend. It adds alot of possibilities for accessories that you do not have with the factory forend.
I also picked up a Magpul AFG2 and installed it. Did not know if I would like it, but after handling it or a few days, I like it alot.

I installed the S&J Hardware foregrip on my 930 Roadblocker and it fit like a glove! It should as it is expensive, I did not have to use the set screw as it basically snaps into place. Also installed the S&J Hardware charging handle on the 930 as well. Here is a pic of my Mossbergs, the other is my 590A1 SPX. I can't find the proprietary USB cable for my digital camera so I used the crappy camera on my phone.

CrappyPic.jpg

I can't do a fair comparison to the Aimpro as I only have the S & J but is a much better fit for me than the stock grip. It's really well made.

I've been trying to decide on which of these forends I'm going to buy for weeks now!

Is one of the obvious differences the location of the side rails? The S&J looks to have them mounted higher (closer to the barrel) and the Aimpro seems to be the opposite (closer to the bottom of the forend). There aren't any good pics I can find that shows the S&J mounted to a 930spx Blackwater Edition.

I'm leaning toward the S&J because I like the shape a little better. Any good advice from anyone before I pull the trigger on this purchase?
grWtL.jpg

Here, finally, is a better pic of the S & J Hardware forend for the 930 Roadblocker that I have, I am really liking it more and more but if I had the Aimpro, I would feel the same too, hehe.

SJHardwareon930.jpg

Back