• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My 7+1 930 only takes 6 in the mag tube

I can get the 7th about 3/4 of the way in, but there is no way it's going in! I am using 2 3/4" shells and have tried both Winchester and Remington. Neither one will fit. Any ideas?

Have you replaced the follower by chance or is it stock?

Some of the aftermarket followers are longer then stock and may reduce the round count by 1.

I've also heard of issues with the springs needing to be cut down, but once again this was for aftermarket parts.

Praetorian27 said:
I can get the 7th about 3/4 of the way in, but there is no way it's going in! I am using 2 3/4" shells and have tried both Winchester and Remington. Neither one will fit. Any ideas?

How long is your magazine spring? Some 930 SPX owners have had to trim there spring until they could load the 7th shell, if you decide to go that route only trim one coil at a time. Before I did any trimming I would call Mossberg and have them send me a new spring. My 930 SPX spring is 35 1/4 and I can load 7 Remington brand shells.

Shell length is supposed to be how long the shell is after it is shot. The length of the spring is really not as important as the length of the spring when compressed. You can trim the spring and it it is not strong enough, you can stretch it some. How much does it like in inserting another shell? The Mossberg site shows only five shot capacity on all the models shown. Is this custom built for a dealer or are you using a magazine extension? The Grand Slam shows to have a 6 round magazine. The 85360 tactical show to be a 7+1 and it does have a magazine extension. Might check and see is there is an obstruction in the end of the extension as well. Good luck.

usmc1963 said:
Praetorian27 said:

How long is your magazine spring? Some 930 SPX owners have had to trim there spring until they could load the 7th shell, if you decide to go that route only trim one coil at a time. Before I did any trimming I would call Mossberg and have them send me a new spring. My 930 SPX spring is 35 1/4 and I can load 7 Remington brand shells.

My spring is 31 1/2" with the stock follower.

Praetorian27 said:
usmc1963 said:
Praetorian27 said:

My spring is 31 1/2" with the stock follower.

I shoot noting but Remington 00 buckshot, 1 oz slugs and even the 100 shell Remington low brass value pack, I buy them all my Wal-Mart. They always have a good supply at a reasonable price. Try rotating the magazine spring and also make sure the spring has no bend or kink in any of the coils. My magazine spring is 35 ¼ and I have no problem. :? :?

One other thing you might check, I know it may sound a little silly but I’ve read about someone finding two followers in their magazine tube. :eek: :eek:

usmc1963 said:
One other thing you might check, I know it may sound a little silly but I’ve read about someone finding two followers in their magazine tube. :eek: :eek:

I took it all apart, there is only the one follower. I read about people putting a 590 spring in it that had this problem. Midway shipped me a 5 shot 590 spring though so it wouldn't work. I may try trimming the spring that is in it. I'll let you know how it goes!

Here is a picture of the spring that is in it. It isn't perfectly straight, but not real kinks. What do you think?

Also, I took a video of how the +2 extension moves when you unscrew it and screw it back on. It wobbles like it may be bent a little, or the end of the mag tube could be slightly bent. It doesn't spin perfectly straight.

http://youtu.be/1331rBd_XY0

Here's the spring:

Attachments

• spring.jpg
    spring.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 1,847
I also had a bent magazine extension. I called Mossberg and they sent me a new one, I did not have to send in the bent one. I would also tell them that your magazine spring has numerous kinks in the links and because of both problems to are unable to load seven in the magazine tube.

Most 2-3/4" slugs in my SPX is 6 + 1,

7 + 1...mostly Birdshot, target loads and some 00 buck.

It is what it is, since Mossberg is very inconsistent in what they put in their shotguns with regard to magazine spring length.

I can load 7 Remington 1oz slugs, 00 buckshot or low brass target loads in my 930SPX. But I have not tried another brand other than Remington. As I mentioned before that’s because Remington is readily available at my locale Wal-Mart at a reasonable price but most importantly my 930SPX likes Remington.

That spring looks like trouble waiting to happen, especially with a stock follower with the sharp shoulder on it. It will not take much to tip it possibly causing malfunctions by catching the edge or on any carbon fouling build up or a small ding on the extension. This is why many of us have gone to after market followers and in my case a Wolff extra power spring trimmed to 28" as well.
Best...

SeaScout said:
That spring looks like trouble waiting to happen, especially with a stock follower with the sharp shoulder on it. It will not take much to tip it possibly causing malfunctions by catching the edge or on any carbon fouling build up or a small ding on the extension. This is why many of us have gone to after market followers and in my case a Wolff extra power spring trimmed to 28" as well.
Best...

I like your thoughts. I’d be willing to bet that a very high percentage of malfunctions you read about can be traced back to the magazine spring and follower.

SeaScout said:
Best...

Thanks for the info! What follower do you use? Are there good followers and bad ones?

OK ... I think I know what your problem is.

Your 930 is not a 7 + 1 gun. What you have is a Mossberg 930 Breacher. That particular model ONLY holds 4+1 ... so, 4 in the mag tube and 1 in the chamber. With a +2 extension installed, you are now ONLY 6+1 ... exactly how many you are getting in the tube.

Sadly, it seems that Mossberg's product marketing team has the same QoS as the SPX assembly plant. If you look at their specs page on the "930 Special Purpose" guns:

http://www.mossberg.com/products/defaul ... play=specs

You can see that there is no consistency in their capacity column...and there is one that is incorrect. The "tactical barrel" gun is not a "5+1" gun ... it is a "5 shot" gun just like all the other non-SPX models. Again..."5 shot" doesn't mean 5 in the mag tube ... it means 4+1...and with your +2 mag tube extension, that means 6+1.

Now...all THAT being said...when I look at your "wobble" video, it looks to me like your +2 extension goes all the way out to a flush position with the end of the barrel. Since the SPX and your breacher have the same exact barrel lengths, I would think that your extension is actually a +3 extension. Then again, with all this Mossberg inconsistency in marketing and manufacturing materials, it would also not surprise me if the SPX barrel is a little longer (19-19.5").

At any rate, based on what you have ... a "Mossberg 930 Breacher +2 extension" ... you should only be able to get 6 in the tube.

Wow, good eye I never noticed the breacher barrel when I viewed his video. I assumed he had the SPX model, now I know what ASSUME means.

azcederburg said:
OK ... I think I know what your problem is.

Your 930 is not a 7 + 1 gun. What you have is a Mossberg 930 Breacher. That particular model ONLY holds 4+1 ... so, 4 in the mag tube and 1 in the chamber. With a +2 extension installed, you are now ONLY 6+1 ... exactly how many you are getting in the tube.

Sadly, it seems that Mossberg's product marketing team has the same QoS as the SPX assembly plant. If you look at their specs page on the "930 Special Purpose" guns:

http://www.mossberg.com/products/defaul ... play=specs

You can see that there is no consistency in their capacity column...and there is one that is incorrect. The "tactical barrel" gun is not a "5+1" gun ... it is a "5 shot" gun just like all the other non-SPX models. Again..."5 shot" doesn't mean 5 in the mag tube ... it means 4+1...and with your +2 mag tube extension, that means 6+1.

Now...all THAT being said...when I look at your "wobble" video, it looks to me like your +2 extension goes all the way out to a flush position with the end of the barrel. Since the SPX and your breacher have the same exact barrel lengths, I would think that your extension is actually a +3 extension. Then again, with all this Mossberg inconsistency in marketing and manufacturing materials, it would also not surprise me if the SPX barrel is a little longer (19-19.5").

At any rate, based on what you have ... a "Mossberg 930 Breacher +2 extension" ... you should only be able to get 6 in the tube.

Wow...thanks a lot! I also "assumed" that it would be the same as an SPX. Well, the good news is I don't have to spend anymore money on a new spring!

good call azcederburg. I watched video and it never occured to me either.

Back