• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My 7+1 930 only takes 6 in the mag tube

So looking at the length of my spring, and considering a 7th round goes 3/4 of the way in, do you think it would be possible to cut a coil or two off the spring and fit a 7th round? It sure is close as it is now.

I would gauge that by your last-round spring pressure. If you never have any issues with the last round from the mag feeding, you could probably try (at your own risk, of course). If it was me, I would try maybe 1 coil and see if it works (to get a 7th in the mag tube)...if it does not, I wouldn't cut anymore off until you have cleanly fed and fired 20+ last rounds (Just put one in the chamber, one in the mag and go, boom, and hopefully you get to go boom again). If that happens consistently, maybe you can try another coil.

The only other thing I would say is that you are 3/4 the way in with that 7th round ... but I would think you are more like a half-shell short. Based on my research (a lot) and experience (which is admittedly slim with shottys), I wouldn't want a scenario where you can just barely get that 7th round to fit. I would want at least 1/4" of play in the fully-loaded tube.

azcederburg said:
I would gauge that by your last-round spring pressure. If you never have any issues with the last round from the mag feeding, you could probably try (at your own risk, of course). If it was me, I would try maybe 1 coil and see if it works (to get a 7th in the mag tube)...if it does not, I wouldn't cut anymore off until you have cleanly fed and fired 20+ last rounds (Just put one in the chamber, one in the mag and go, boom, and hopefully you get to go boom again). If that happens consistently, maybe you can try another coil.

The only other thing I would say is that you are 3/4 the way in with that 7th round ... but I would think you are more like a half-shell short. Based on my research (a lot) and experience (which is admittedly slim with shottys), I wouldn't want a scenario where you can just barely get that 7th round to fit. I would want at least 1/4" of play in the fully-loaded tube.

I may give it a shot...a new spring is only about $12, so what the hell!

Praetorian27 said:

Well...let us know how it goes!

BTW - I am going to be buying an extension for my Breacher ... which brand did you go with?

azcederburg said:
Praetorian27 said:

Well...let us know how it goes!

BTW - I am going to be buying an extension for my Breacher ... which brand did you go with?

It's the Choate...it came on the gun when I bought it used.

I would suggest...strongly...getting a Wolff extra power spring and either a Wilson's or a S&J follower for your set up. Pull your stock follower out and examine the design closely if you have not done so already. Notice the sharp shoulder? Any little thing can cause snagging. I had Mossberg send one of the new replacement springs which was many inches longer (spx) than when the first generation was introduced. Given the low quality it quickly started bending even though I was careful upon reassembly. No polite way to put this, they are crap. I would rather have 6 rounds at 100 percent reliability than 7 and worry about it messing up at the worst moment. Also my rig stays loaded for long periods of time so spring fatigue (although some say there is no such thing) is a concern, hence another need for a high quality spring as well, although I try to get it unloaded at times to relax it.Goes back to my Recon days and our practice of loading 28 rounds in 30 round mags for better long term reliabity, but I digress.
Thanks for letting me spout off...
Best

SeaScout said:
I would suggest...strongly...getting a Wolff extra power spring and either a Wilson's or a S&J follower for your set up. Pull your stock follower out and examine the design closely if you have not done so already. Notice the sharp shoulder? Any little thing can cause snagging. I had Mossberg send one of the new replacement springs which was many inches longer (spx) than when the first generation was introduced. Given the low quality it quickly started bending even though I was careful upon reassembly. No polite way to put this, they are crap. I would rather have 6 rounds at 100 percent reliability than 7 and worry about it messing up at the worst moment. Also my rig stays loaded for long periods of time so spring fatigue (although some say there is no such thing) is a concern, hence another need for a high quality spring as well, although I try to get it unloaded at times to relax it.Goes back to my Recon days and our practice of loading 28 rounds in 30 round mags for better long term reliabity, but I digress.
Thanks for letting me spout off...
Best

I sanded the sharp corners off my stock follower and then polished the entire part. It's amazing how much smoother it slides thru the tube now.

I dont like many of the aftermarket followers cause they compress the spring farther due to their longer design and that the spring does not go inside of them... I tried the orange follower that came with my Choate +2 extension and it was much less smooth in operation cause it does not trap the end of the spring inside it like the factory cup does... The end of the spring is left in the open to scrape along the inside of the mag tube.

Scraping the inside of the mag tube is never good. No matter what spring is used, you should always check it and file the end and bend the end up and in with a pair of pliers. Liked your idea of sanding and polishing the original follower. Glad it worked out.
Cheers...

Back