• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Need Light Recommendations

S.R. Crawford

.270 WIN
I've been thinking about putting a light on my M500 but I need some suggestions. I'm looking to just mount a handheld flashlight to my forend, seems like a lot of the "tactical" lights available have a lot of features I don't need and don't want to pay for.

Aesthetically speaking I'm trying to get something reasonably similar to the old Delta Force Surefires from the '90s.

Here's my criteria:

Simple push on/off (not looking for extra modes)
LED
<$50
Will stand up to recoil

Thanks guys

I've had good luck with the Nitecore flashlights that have a momentary push button tail switch. Mines an older model, likely not still made, but Battery Junction web site has good selection. Mine's one inch in diameter and I've used a clamp on mag tube mount that allows me to activate the switch with my thumb.

Battery Junction, who I have NO affiliation, carries many different lines of lights and batteries.

Regards

Well, that leaves out ElZetta. (My fave) You cannot kill one. Period. They are the most bomb-proof lights you can buy. Surefire doesn't even compare.

FIRST>>>>>>> DO NOT get a light with three dimmer levels plus strobe. That is simply dumb. Get a simple ON/OFF with a pushbutton or toggle. That is what you want. Multi-mode is simply gonna wreck you.

Try your best to check if the light circuitry is "fully potted". Those don't just withstand recoil, they withstands explosions. Even SureFire is not fully potted so beware.

There are a lot of affordable lights out there, but they will take a dump with repeated recoil.

Potted electronics will prevent that.

You might take a look at O-Light, or used ElZetta. And I agree that Battery Junction is a great place to start.

Also, Streamlight TLR is fully potted electronics and I believe in them enough that I have bought three of them and carried each as a full-time cop working night shift. Lifetime Warranty. One on my duty pistol, one on my M4 very, and one on my backup carbine.

My ElZetta was always on my LE 12-ga pump because it was the strongest flashlight out there. But it cost me almost $200.

Double your $50 price range, but the TLR lights are bomb proof and completely backed by the manufacturer no matter how hard you abuse it.

Last edited:
Agree with Nitesite on Streamlight TRL. They have several models to choice from. I have several mounted on handguns, rifles plus my Shockwave and have never had one fail.

Didn't mention Streamlight earlier due to OP price considerations.

But if you can afford one either Streamlight and Elzetta are excellent brands.

Regards

Fellmann, I've never used a Protac so can't give you a definitive answer but for me the mounting location methodology and the ability to activate the light are the most important factors in choosing a WML. I use a TRL-1 HL on my Shockwave with a GG&G mount and the positioning is perfect for thumb activation. Obviously barrel length also becomes a factor in choosing a light. You just don't want any flashlight to extend past the muzzle. So running a light on a 500/590 with an 18.5 barrel is a different animal that running one on a short barreled Shockwave. From the Protac picture I saw online it looks to be about 6 inches long? Might be a factor depending on mounting location?

Given you already have a TRL-1 I'd mount it on your shotgun and see how it works.

By the way - Happy Birthday young man!!!!!!!

Regards

Fellmann, I've never used a Protac so can't give you a definitive answer but for me the mounting location methodology and the ability to activate the light are the most important factors in choosing a WML. I use a TRL-1 HL on my Shockwave with a GG&G mount and the positioning is perfect for thumb activation. Obviously barrel length also becomes a factor in choosing a light. You just don't want any flashlight to extend past the muzzle. So running a light on a 500/590 with an 18.5 barrel is a different animal that running one on a short barreled Shockwave. From the Protac picture I saw online it looks to be about 6 inches long? Might be a factor depending on mounting location?

Given you already have a TRL-1 I'd mount it on your shotgun and see how it works.

By the way - Happy Birthday young man!!!!!!!

Regards
There a very few lights that will extend past my muzzle, but they do exist.

b-845x684.jpg

Fifty bucks, and you probably won't ever kill it??????

Here you go. Amazing light, tough as hell.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-...a9cef724fc47d&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
See the Streamlight Poly here
I like that.

Any thoughts on the one I posted earlier?

Here:
Managed to find this:

https://www.keepshooting.com/ledwave-targeter-led-max-flashlight.html

Spanish milsurp light, looks like it retails a bit higher new for civilians. One version even ships with a barrel clamp for shotguns.

I don't think I made it entirely clear but the Streamlight TLR has fully potted circuitry. And a great warranty.

For a cop on the night shift, a light with dependable and simple controls is life itself. I bought an ElZetta for my 590 8+1, Streamlight TLRs for all my other patrol guns and my pistol, and a handheld Pelican 8060. I probably had about a thousand dollars tied up in a few lights that I knew would never take a dump on me. I know not everyone places that high a priority on simple flashlights especially ones that won't get knocked around much, if ever.

My wife finally gave up saying "You bought ANOTHER light?" and she just walked away shaking her head in wonderment.

Back