• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 715T and New Rifle Owner

Gunowner99

.270 WIN
Hey all! New to forum and Mossberg, not new to guns so much. I'll have tons of questions but I will poke around and do my best to find out on my own before I ask.

I do have my 1st newb question however. I private purchased a 715T flattop w/ red dot optic and a nice Magpul OD stock. It has maybe 150 rounds through it. I will watch the video and disassemble and clean. I use Froglube generally so I will do my thing. After this initial cleaning, how often do you disassemble and do a full clean? I would imagine I can use a boresnake in general and maybe a brass bore brush and rod and patches as necessary.

I guess what I need to know is what is basic cleaning routine, disassembly interval, best practice and timeframe? When do you just clean and when do you take apart and what do you clean for each? Yeah, I know, newb question however taking this apart is much more difficult than my pistols, thus my questions. Please don't yell but I am a new rifle owner so many many uncertainties.

Also, where's the darn owners manual? ;-)

Welcome aboard!

.22 ammo can be a bit dirty, but it seems that most of our 715 owners prefer to use either a bore snake or a rod and brass bruch down the bore rather than a full takedown. I wouldn't think that a full strip would be necessary unless you begin to see an abundance of fouling in the action.

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so we're lookin forward to pics of your 715T. Take a look around and feel free to post up pics of any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Jump in on the conversation anywhere and let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

- L.E.S.

Welcome from MI!!

just a general cleaning like any other firearm will be enough, but like L.E.S. said, .22 can be dirty. i am a bit anal about cleaning anything. i make sure i have time to clean it as soon as i am done shooting or i don't shoot. i am like this about anything...i take my fourwheeler for a ride, i spend the next week cleaning it..., wheels come off, brake calipers come off...air filter is cleaned...fenders are off...that's just me though...

I'm new here and I'm sure there are more qualified people but, from what ive read on the 715T.. You want to break it completely down and clean it when you get it home.. Its not hard i did it with the help of Utube.. After that they say about every 1000 shots or if you feel its dirty enough.. I've just got my 715T a couple of weeks ago.. Ive got the magazine bug im fighting with lol. I personally brush, wipe and oil after i get done shooting.. Im talking about full breakdowns.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

I need to look around. Like I said, new rifle owner and new 715T owner, so a lot to learn. I just get nervous the screws will strip out if I disassemble every single time I shoot, that is why I am asking. That and it is a lot of work ha ha. I guess if I want to clean, I need to field strip every time and clean and get used to it? I do have a bore snake. I assume take the snake from breach to bore? Like a said, newbie rifle question. Would it make a difference? Either way, you are pulling it through.

I take it no manual exists?

The closest you're gonna get is the 702 Plinkster manual...

Owner's Manual: Mossberg 702 Plinkster

Running the bore snake from breach to muzzle will work out fine. Take a look at Break Free Powder Blast or Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. Both are a high pressure aerosol spray that will dissolve fouling and blow it out of the action. They dry very quickly on their own without having to be wiped down. Works great for a quick cleaning between field strips...

Yes, those videos are nice. Thanks for the link. I use froglube, so I plan on doing a full field strip and proper application, take it out to the range, do another field strip and application, another trip to the range, then after that the normal froglube maintenence, which is a wipedown. So, I guess there lies my real question, being, to clean the action, it really needs to be fieldstripped every time, right? I could just reach in there with patches but I don't think that will be efficient. But then again, the screw stripping issue. I am just overthinking!

The high pressure aerosol cleaners I mentioned above will do well to break up the fouling and clean the action without a full field strip after every range trip. That plus a bore snake should keep you running just fine for a few trips to the range. The key with the bore snake is to run it through a couple times before you pack up at the range while the barrel is still warm. This will remove a lot of the leading before it has a chance to cool and harden into the grooves...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
The high pressure aerosol cleaners I mentioned above will do well to break up the fouling and clean the action without a full field strip after every range trip. That plus a bore snake should keep you running just fine for a few trips to the range. The key with the bore snake is to run it through a couple times before you pack up at the range while the barrel is still warm. This will remove a lot of the leading before it has a chance to cool and harden into the grooves...

Okay, I think I actually got it now. For this gun, I will:

1. Disassemble, fully clean and lubricate, reassemble. This is a new gun to me so standard practice.

2. When I go to the range, after shooting run a bore snake through a few times. Use no CLP or anything at this point.

3. When I get home, spray some gun scrubber down the barrel to blow through the breach. It dries almost immediately. When I do that, what else do I need to do to get it clean? Brushes? patches? Do I lube barrel and action after and if so most efficient means?

4. Every few trips, do a field strip and clean thoroughly and lubricate.

Okay, don't yell at me, I'm just trying to be standardized in my approach.

Gunowner99 said:
3. When I get home, spray some gun scrubber down the barrel to blow through the breach. It dries almost immediately. When I do that, what else do I need to do to get it clean? Brushes? patches? Do I lube barrel and action after and if so most efficient means?

Yes, you can also clean the barrel without breaking it down. Some CLP on patches will do the job well and there's no need to lube or oil the barrel. A little oil in the action is all you need, but not too much. The more oil you have in there, the faster fouling will build up.

...and don't worry, nobody's gonna yell at you around here...

Oh, I am sure I can wear the horns off of a billy goat! So you are saying when I get home either blow barrel out with gun scrubber or use clp on a patch and rub through? The clp would have the lubricant in it thus no need to oil. If using gun scrubber, I will need a little oil down it? What about cleaning the action without field stripping as we discussed? How? I just want to do it right. Thanks!

Without a field strip, I use the gun Scrubber first to break up the fouling, both in the action and in the barrel. Then I use CLP on patches through the barrel until the patches come out clean. You can spray a little CLP in the action as well, but it won't need much.

On a full strip and clean, I would use the cleaners in the same order and scrub down the moving parts with an old toothbrush. Using a brass brush in the barrel will help break up any fouling/leading in the grooves. I would also suggest a few drops of oil on the contact areas of the bolt before reassembly...

Howdy and welcome to the club. :D
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere, and let us know if you have any questions. We hope you enjoy it here with our laid back, relaxed approach at Mossberg Owners.
And remember....
We're here to help, not hinder. ;)

ripjack13

Okay, had time to think about it and 1,000 other things entered my head. So, I will:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:58 am

LAZY EYED SNIPER wrote:The high pressure aerosol cleaners I mentioned above will do well to break up the fouling and clean the action without a full field strip after every range trip. That plus a bore snake should keep you running just fine for a few trips to the range. The key with the bore snake is to run it through a couple times before you pack up at the range while the barrel is still warm. This will remove a lot of the leading before it has a chance to cool and harden into the grooves...

Okay, I think I actually got it now. For this gun, I will:

1. Disassemble, fully clean and lubricate, reassemble. This is a new gun to me so standard practice.

2. When I go to the range, after shooting run a bore snake through a few times. Use no CLP or anything at this point.

3. When I get home, spray some gun scrubber down the barrel to blow through the breach first to break up the fouling, both in the action and in the barrel. It dries almost immediately. Then I use CLP on patches through the barrel until the patches come out clean. I can spray a little CLP in the action as well, but it won't need much.

4. Every few trips, do a field strip and clean thoroughly and lubricate. I will use the cleaners in the same order and scrub down the moving parts with an old toothbrush. Using a brass brush in the barrel will help break up any fouling/leading in the grooves. I would also place a few drops of oil on the contact areas of the bolt before reassembly. Can I run bore brush crown to breach so long as I let it go all the way through? Not stopping half way and reversing is what I mean. I figure that is what I would have to do if not field stripping but running a brush through it. Yeah, I know, basic rifle knowledge which I am trying to get all cleared up.

This is sufficient plan?

Looks like you've got it.

Putting in the time to clean your 715T will certainly go a long way toward making your range trips more enjoyable. Good to see that you're taking the time to work it all out before hand...

Back