• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New shotgun!!

12gafun

.270 WIN
I just purchased my first New Mossberg shotgun a 500 Persuader 12 GA 5+1. I am new to Mossberg shotguns can I shoot slugs out of it, I bought some Remington Slugger 2.75 1oz rifled slugs and hoping that I can shoot them out of this. Here is a few pics of it. Also if anyone has any bead sight upgrade options for it and also a side saddle option let me know thanks. I have completely cleaned it after purchase and lube it with CLP I hopefully will get to shoot it today. Thanks for any replies. I did some decorating, colored my engraving in, added a Tacstar side saddle 6 shot shells extra now.

20150816_172842.jpg 20150821_191606.jpg 20150816_172802.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking 500! I love Mossbergs and never tire of seeing pictures of them. You sure can shoot slugs out of it. If it fits, it shoots. lol I find the recoil of slugs oddly satisfying. If you want to upgrade the bead sight, tritium beads are popular. They are visible at night from your eye, but anyone on the receiving end cannot see the bead. I'm not sure what side saddle to recommend. I don't have one. If you want even more rounds hanging on your gun, a cheapo Allen buttstock shell holder is a good bet. I have one and it has held up well. They're only like $6, give or take.

Congrats on buying the best shotgun in the world...a Mossberg !!

You can shoot 12 gauge Birdshot, Buckshot, and Slugs from your Persuader...

Thanks, for the info. I just cannot wait to get it out and shoot later today. I will look into the Allen buttstock shell holder. I am right there with you, I love shooting slugs and the recoil is so satisfying, I sold my Remington 870 for this shotgun, just got over with the issues I was having with it. The day I shot a newer Mossberg 500 Persuader at my range and felt how smooth the action was on it I feel in love with it.

Well range report, might like always got a lemon. Loaded it with Remington 1oz slugs chambered a shell and aimed squeezed the trigger and click, ejected the shell and there was a small indention on the primer, put that shell aside loaded another and click, pulled back the slide just enough to slam it forward and then it fired. Shot the remaining 2-3 shells but slamming the rounds hard into the chamber. Reloaded again with some Federal game loads and click again, racked the next one harder into the chamber and it fired.
So far I removed the barrel and field stripped the shotgun completely, did another cleaning and wipe down at the range, then loaded and out of 25 more slugs had like 2 more FTF, each shell's that failed did fire later after I did what I did. I got home and took out the firing pin and measured it with calipers measured 3.062 inches. I did find some burrs on the barrel and inside the extractors notches on the barrel.
Any other suggestions about this issue, or what the break in period is let me know, I put 45 slugs and 25 game loads #7 shot

Never heard of a break in period for a 500.
I have 4 500's. I have never bought one new though.

At first I was thinking that maybe you were short shucking the gun, but if you are getting dents in the primers then that is not likely.

I did have some issues with one of my 12 gauges and the way certain ammo seated in the barrel.
I polished the throat with steel wool and some metal polish on an old brass brush attached to a drill.
That slicked it up real nice now anything seats in there perfectly every time.

Never heard of a break in period for a 500.
I have 4 500's. I have never bought one new though.

At first I was thinking that maybe you were short shucking the gun, but if you are getting dents in the primers then that is not likely.

I did have some issues with one of my 12 gauges and the way certain ammo seated in the barrel.
I polished the throat with steel wool and some metal polish on an old brass brush attached to a drill.
That slicked it up real nice now anything seats in there perfectly every time.
Well thanks for the info, I am not sure what was causing it, will get back to the range soon. First though is I really need a shorter LOP on that butt stock that came with it. Any suggestions on butt stocks that won't break the bank.

I cant help you with that.
All mine have either a wood stock or synthetic with the factory LOP.

Well thanks for the info, I am not sure what was causing it, will get back to the range soon. First though is I really need a shorter LOP on that butt stock that came with it. Any suggestions on butt stocks that won't break the bank.

What style of buttstock are you looking for? If you want a traditional style like what you have now, Hogue has the short LOP stock. It's probably the most popular short LOP stock out there. Their forend is also quite popular.

http://www.hogueinc.com/store/products/mossberg-500-overmolded-shotgun-stock-12-lop/4615

ATI also has a traditional style stock with an adjustable LOP. It's their Akita stock.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/mossberg-akita-adjustable-stock

Some other stocks like Magpul and Choate can adjust the LOP with spacers.

If you're looking for a pistol grip stock, ATI makes them too, as well as a lot of other companies. When I had a pistol grip stock on my 500 for a short time, I didn't really like it. The safety isn't as convenient with a pistol grip stock, and the slide lock release lever was really awkward to use. Also, with the pistol grip stock I had, I got bad cheek slap. After a few slug rounds, I was done. I felt like I had been in a fight. :eek: With the way the 500 is laid out with its controls, it works a lot better with traditional style stocks. It's a lot more comfortable that way. With that said, there's a lot of people with pistol grip stocks that like them. They're just not for me.

Well range report, might like always got a lemon. Loaded it with Remington 1oz slugs chambered a shell and aimed squeezed the trigger and click, ejected the shell and there was a small indention on the primer, put that shell aside loaded another and click, pulled back the slide just enough to slam it forward and then it fired. Shot the remaining 2-3 shells but slamming the rounds hard into the chamber. Reloaded again with some Federal game loads and click again, racked the next one harder into the chamber and it fired.
So far I removed the barrel and field stripped the shotgun completely, did another cleaning and wipe down at the range, then loaded and out of 25 more slugs had like 2 more FTF, each shell's that failed did fire later after I did what I did. I got home and took out the firing pin and measured it with calipers measured 3.062 inches. I did find some burrs on the barrel and inside the extractors notches on the barrel.
Any other suggestions about this issue, or what the break in period is let me know, I put 45 slugs and 25 game loads #7 shot

This is highly unusual

Thanks for the information, I really liked the look of the Hogue LOP 12 and there Handguard, I am thinking that will be it. As for the misfires not sure yet either. I will shot it again here soon and will post my results. I just hope that this 500 Mossberg does me well.

Congrats on the new purchase. Thanks for the pics!!

What follower replacement would you recommend if needed to replace the stock follower.
I cannot wait to get that Hogue 12 LOP stock and forend for my 500 here in a few weeks.

Hogue is light years ahead of ATI.

Until your shotgun fires reliably, why are you expending energy in other less important endeavors?

No not at this time, Mossberg sent me a new firing pin, I also got a new firing pin spring with it. Took out my bolt and did some polishing on it, smoothed out some ruff edges that where on the bolt lock which was sticking badly. I even polished the old firing pin since I have a replacement and put it all back together went to the range and fired Remington game loads, Remington sluggers (45 shot shells) Federal slugs, Remington 3" mag slugs, Federal game loads, Winchester game loads and some of there slugs also. Didn't have a single issue it fired like a champ. I just receive a new bolt that my father got me also, it's for either a 500A or a 590, I can use a 590 bolt in my 500 correct.

When I compared the two bolts the new one looked slightly different. I have installed it in my shotgun just now and it seems to be functioning correctly. I will have to wait till tomorrow to see how the new bolt fires.
The reason I want the ATI Akita stock is because it is adjustable, I can have it for other shooters that wish to fire my 12 gauge. I know the Hogue is light years ahead of ATI butt there butt stock isn't adjustable. I wish I could try out both to really see which one I like, also I am worried that 12" LOP might be to short for me 12.5-13.25" is where my LOP measured out at. Thanks for the feedback though.

I don't know how helpful the following can be to you, especially since you're already getting a replacement stock. But I also wanted a slightly shorter LOP from the factory stock and without 'surgery'. Here's what I did: http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/500-butt-plate-suggestions.14096/

Thanks, all I have to try too cut down stock it a hack saw, I don't even have a vice. I am thinking if I did try to cut it down I would mess it up. Also at this time out of cash even for a slip on limbsaver butt pad since it looks like the original won't fit back on after cutting.

Back