• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Newfound Mossie obsession

Just opened today's mail after getting home from work...
WOOOOOOO HOOOOO!
Got the ERGO Tri-rail forend and Magpul AFG1 with ERGO hand hold! :D :lol: :D

dorangolv said:
Just opened today's mail after getting home from work...
WOOOOOOO HOOOOO!
Got the ERGO Tri-rail forend and Magpul AFG1 with ERGO hand hold! :D :lol: :D

Certainly let us know how that works out for you. I know I tried the same set up on my 590 for a while and it beat the hell out of my hand... but I know of of many who run a similar configuration, so my fingers crossed that it's a fit for ya :D Always a smile when you get goodies delivered!

Certainly let us know how that works out for you. I know I tried the same set up on my 590 for a while and it beat the hell out of my hand... but I know of of many who run a similar configuration, so my fingers crossed that it's a fit for ya Always a smile when you get goodies delivered!

Well... The AFG1 Will not fit the ERGO Tri-rail aluminum forend because of the wide and deep sides. When mounting on the bottom rail, it hits the two side rails. I am looking for the AFG2 because it does not have those wide "Wings" on the side.
I thought about just cutting off the plastic on either side to make room.
Either that or get a 1/2" flat top riser rail to create some space.
Cost of a riser rail and cost for an AFG2 are about the same, $25-$30 range.
Don't want to damage the AFG1 in case I want to sell it, which might happen soon. :oops:

Best advice I can give you is to sculpt out your AFG.

A few members here have done this to fit their Ergo forends and I've had to sculpt one to fit a low-profile AR quad rail. Yes the AFG2 will fit without modification, but it's shorter than the original AFG. There is less room for your hand and it'll bang the ever lovin crap outta your index finger every time you pull the trigger. I can tell you from first hand experience it's not comfortable...

There is less room for your hand and it'll bang the ever lovin crap outta your index finger every time you pull the trigger.

You're not the first person I heard that from. I've read some comments on YouTube videos where others have said the same thing.

Modifying the AFG1 I have now will save me another $30. At this point my wife has no idea how much I've spent so far. Everything I've bought has been on sale including the 590 itself. It has almost all come from Amazon or eBay. A couple items from shooting websites when they have the best price. The most expensive thing I bought to date is the ATI Talon tactical 6 Position Shotgun Stock A.1.40.1140 with the scorpion recoil system.
I paid $76.48 with FREE shipping! Smokin' good deal. :eek:
But to her that just means I spent more money. She's got a head for business. Been a purchasing agent and controller for her dad's engineering firm.
Gotta love her. She's pretty special. :D
The stock is here in Las Vegas at a post office somewhere. I'd go pick it up if I knew where.
I have a couple videos of me and my boys shooting the Boom Stick for the first time.
Also a few pictures of The Stick itself in stock form.

I contacted UTG/Leapers customer service with a detailed email and detailed pictures. Within 10 hours they called and said they want to look at it and replace it if it is defective.

Got an email from UTG/Leapers today. After checking out the laser dot sight I sent back to them, they said...
It's fine. Nothing wrong with it. :shock:

Damn.
I was hoping the unit was bad so I could feel less like an idiot for not knowing how to sight in a new laser dot sight. I hope I can get this figured out. I was looking forward to getting past this.

Welcome from MI!!

We needs pics of this bad boy when completed!!

Just found the missing camera in my office. Gotta get to work right now. I'll take some pics and post Fri 7/5

I've posted pictures everywhere but here.

Close up of the Ergo Hand Stop. Works great! Helps reduce some of the bang on my shoulder. You can see how I cleaned off the corners so it doesn't dig into my palm. In front of it is the remote switch for the laser.

A view with a peek at everything. Talon Tactical stock, Elite Tactical Advantage 100-005-838 Mossberg Tactical Safety button. (shaped like a big fly or moth), Mesa 90340 SureShell Carrier for Mossberg with 8 shell capacity, the UTG Red/green dot scope kit that came with the receiver top mount flat rail.

The forend holds a UTG 2-in-1 Tactical LED Flashlight with Red Laser p/n LT-ZLP38. I also bought the Magpul AFG2 and ERGO Surestop Tactical Rail Hand Stop and a dozen rubber caps to cover the exposed rails. Hiding under all of that is a 4865 Tri-rail forend from ERGO for the 6 15/16" tube. The remote switch for the laser is under my thumb, the switch for the light is on the opposite side under my index finger.

I took the pictures with the slide all the way to the rear because I wanted to show that there was no interference with the 8- shot shotshell holder and the forend.

Attachments

• after 86 downsized.jpg
    after 86 downsized.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 95
  • after 87 downsized.jpg
    after 87 downsized.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 96
  • after 302 downsized.jpg
    after 302 downsized.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 95
The forend holds a UTG 2-in-1 Tactical LED Flashlight with Red Laser p/n LT-ZLP38. I also bought the Magpul AFG2 and ERGO Surestop Tactical Rail Hand Stop and a dozen rubber caps to cover the exposed rails. Hiding under all of that is a 4865 Tri-rail forend from ERGO for the 6 15/16" tube. The remote switch for the laser is under my thumb, the switch for the light is under my index finger.

The close up of the work I did to modify the AFG2 so that it would fit the Ergo Tri-rail forend and Hand Stop.

Close up of the Ergo Tri-rail forend and nut. The forend comes with 3 "ladders" that snap into the unused spaces.

Attachments

• after 89 downsized.jpg
    after 89 downsized.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 91
  • after 303 downsized.jpg
    after 303 downsized.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 91
  • ERGO Tri-rail forend and tube nut.JPG
    ERGO Tri-rail forend and tube nut.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 91
dorangolv said:
The forend holds a UTG 2-in-1 Tactical LED Flashlight with Red Laser p/n LT-ZLP38. I also bought the Magpul AFG2 and ERGO Surestop Tactical Rail Hand Stop and a dozen rubber caps to cover the exposed rails. Hiding under all of that is a 4865 Tri-rail forend from ERGO for the 6 15/16" tube. The remote switch for the laser is under my thumb, the switch for the light is under my index finger.

The close up of the work I did to modify the AFG2 so that it would fit the Ergo Tri-rail forend and Hand Stop.

Close up of the Ergo Tri-rail forend and nut. The forend comes with 3 "ladders" that snap into the unused spaces.

Made some changes to the Boom Handle... still need to take pictures to show it off. I decided having both laser AND red dot holographic sight was a bit redundant. Not to mention the added weight.
So... I removed the ATI Talon Tactical stock and replaced it with a Shockwave Technologies Raptor Grip. Then I removed the red-dot sight and accessory rail from the top of the receiver.
Took it out to the desert and made steel objects go DING shooting off the hip from about 30 feet. Just pointed the laser where I wanted things to disappear and presto! Things vanished. ;) :D

For my first build I went crazy bolting stuff on that was "Cool" yet functional.
Well, "Cool" adds more weight.
And makes it harder for my wife and daughter to shoulder. The ATI Talon Tactical stock added more weight than I thought it would and didn't adjust as much as I thought it would. Plus the weight of the light/laser combo AND a big, heavy Red Dot sight made the thing feel like the barrel of a tank instead of a shotgun when clearing the house.
SO...
Made a few changes.
First;
Why have both light/laser combo AND Red Dot scope?
It's redundant.
Removed the UTG Leapers Red/Green Dot Scope and rail from the top of the receiver.
Then removed the ATI Talon Tactical 6 Position Stock.
In it place I added a Shockwave Technologies Raptor Grip instead. MUCH easier to maneuver around the house! Since I left the light/laser combo in place, I have no need to hold the shotgun at eye level to aim. Just put the light and red dot on the perp and BLAMMO!
I sighted the laser at about 20 feet and took it out to the desert for a test drive. Picked off several bottles and clay pigeons propped up in the dirt from at least 20-25 feet. My 13 year old daughter did it too, which was the real reason for the changes.
Lighter weight, more maneuverable, more versatile, broader range of potential users.
Win, win.
Short stock b downsized.jpg after 86 cropped.jpg AFG1 grind f downsized.jpg ERGO Tri-rail forend and tube nut.JPG UTG light laser combo e downsized.jpg
Short stock a downsized.jpg Short stock b downsized.jpg

Back