• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Noob needs some purchase advice

Re: Noob needs some purchase advice

Most guns are shipped with an excess amount of grease in them. This is to preserve them and to protect them from rust, etc, during shipping. This grease is usually very thick and can actually hinder the operation of the gun if not removed.

I learned this the hard way. I did not clean my 930 well enough when it was new and the first trip to the skeet range renderred it almost inoperable as the cold weather caused the grease to gell and prevented the gun from cycling. I basically had a cool looking single shot. Since it's been cleaned it's run flawlessly in all conditions.

Take the gun apart except for the trigger assembly. Take it out but leave it as an assembly.
Clean the entire assembly and oil it.
You can leave the stock on and you can leave the forearm on the slide assembly.
Clean all the parts. Anything that looks like grease or oil in the gun or on the parts IS NOT GREASE.
It is a type of cosmoline that is there to prevent rust on guns that may sit in storage or on the shelf for quite sometime.
Oil the parts that move and grease anyplace that has metal to metal contact or slide on metal.

ALWAYS do this on any new gun or one that you buy used BEFORE shooting

LTB45 said:
Take the gun apart except for the trigger assembly.

Yeah for the love of god... DO NOT take that apart! lol

What slugs did you try out for the first time?

I was curious to get everyone's opinion on buying a used 500. Is it ok? Worth it? Or just safer buying new? Thanks in advance.

all depends,,,are you buying it from a LGS,,,,condition,,,,price ,,,,,,, any return policy?

If do consider to go the used route I'm going to make sure I ask all of the questions I can. I'm on the fence about it because some things you just don't buy used.

If it’s someone you don’t know ask to shoot it. Buying a used 500 that functions is a great alternative to new if that’s what gets a gun in your hands. They are seldom worth over 250 bucks used , anything more than that start considering new, follow old mossy’s advice if you go to a gun or pawn shop and you should be golden

I'm considering going to a pawn shop. Do they test their guns before resell. Is that what makes it golden? Thanks for the info!

Jay_320 said:
I'm considering going to a pawn shop. Do they test their guns before resell. Is that what makes it golden? Thanks for the info!

No, following old mossy's advice about finding out about returns if it doesn’t work would make It golden. If yes, golden, if no then don’t buy simple as that .
Some pawn shops might test them …that would be a good question for them. I have watched them buy guns not knowing for sure that they work. It would be a good way for a person to get rid of a problem gun too if they didn’t have a conscious.

Buying used is perfectly fine. But you have to protect yourself and your investments with the information provided from Old Mossy and Oli. Buying from a Private Seller is hard unless you know the individual. If you do go "private" certainly ask to shoot it and throw a few shells through it. Being a mossberg 500, shooting a couple shells isn't going to degrade the value at all, if anything it will only solidify the sellers price. But I personally wouldn't want to touch one above $200. $250 is a modest price if it is Like New condition. There is normal wear and tear and then there is Abuse..

I would lean more towards a Gun Shop or Pawn Shop. But there are Gems out there to be had!

Jay_320 said:
I was curious to get everyone's opinion on buying a used 500. Is it ok? Worth it? Or just safer buying new? Thanks in advance.

where abouts in maryland are you?

Walmart has the Maverick 88 for $189.99 in PA. Pretty good deal there and it doesn't have the pinned forend!!

Yeah I think I have about the same distance to Walmart in town lol. I am there everyday... If they don't have it in the case, there is a book that has all the models they can get in and they can "Special Request" a model form their distributor. I think Walmart requires a 50% down non-refundable payment. Just some stuff to consider.

New -vs- used is a matter of personal preference for the most part. My theory is that if you plan on keeping a gun in stock condition, buy new.....because then every nick, scratch and ding will have a story behind it when you pass the gun down. If you are planning on modifying the daylights out of the gun anyways, I vote for buying used. Who cares if the blue is worn of the barrel and the stock looks like a beaver got ahold of it if the price is right and you are planning on installing a new tactical stock/forend and an 18.5" barrel. As long as the action is good, you can fix ugly. :)

Back